EA81 Unequal Length Headers

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Just been watching the first post, page four.

My compliments, or should I say condolences to your brave cameramans family - hardly flinched when you ran over him! That sounds pretty wicked. Sounds like a reason to visit a patient exhaust bender.

As for your valve springs at was it 105kphour ? in second gear...

is it a 5 speed from an EA81 or EA82 model ? And ratio difference from fourWD boxes, do you know?

thanks for going to the effort :)
member since 10january2014 #6191

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Nubaru wrote:Just been watching the first post, page four.

My compliments, or should I say condolences to your brave cameramans family - hardly flinched when you ran over him! That sounds pretty wicked. Sounds like a reason to visit a patient exhaust bender.

As for your valve springs at was it 105kphour ? in second gear...

is it a 5 speed from an EA81 or EA82 model ? And ratio difference from fourWD boxes, do you know?

thanks for going to the effort :)
yes those poor valve springs LOL.

gearbox is a 5 speed out of a MY 82 hardtop coupe.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:56 pm

:p :p If I didn't see the normal looking EA81, hitachi and your pipes just yesterday, don't think I'd believe it was just an EA81. It sounds to have the sort of performance the famed twin carb, twin port EA81S is rumoured to have !! It is breathing and fueling pretty OK isn't it !

Gonna say some heavy duty Lanotec is in order for your clutch pedal :)

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:23 pm

steptoe wrote::p :p If I didn't see the normal looking EA81, hitachi and your pipes just yesterday, don't think I'd believe it was just an EA81. It sounds to have the sort of performance the famed twin carb, twin port EA81S is rumoured to have !! It is breathing and fueling pretty OK isn't it !

Gonna say some heavy duty Lanotec is in order for your clutch pedal :)
It's amazing what a good tune and a kit through a Hitachi (IMO Webbers are good if you don't want to rebuild your Hitachi) and a non restrictive exhaust makes. If I had tuned length headers it'd probably go a bit better but sound crap.
I cant wait to get my hands on some twin carbs.........anyone got a set they want to sell me? I'd buy the SPFI setup of Tweety but I'd need a manifold.
Also buy some dual port heads from Italy but for the price of them I could buy a GSR.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Thats a great sound you have got there.

I take it the speedo video was done "under controled conditions on closed roads" :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:36 pm

TOONGA wrote:Thats a great sound you have got there.

I take it the speedo video was done "under controled conditions on closed roads" :)

TOONGA
Disclaimer on video states "Not me driving, not on a public road and not in Australia"

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Pretty awesome Willy. I had a go on the way home and got to about 85kmh before crapping my pants and backing off. Incidentally that was pretty close to the redline at 5500rpm, easily the hardest I've revved the poor girl, though she still had more to give :twisted:. Will need to rev to about 6500 to reach 100kmh.

With my new manifold this will be easy ;).

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Willy needs to come clean on that engine, to explain that extreme pleased-with-self look he had. The cranks have the room to flex a bit too much in an EA81. My centre main bearings copped a hiding from this flex going on, pounding the block casings to mushrooming status, after 180,000kms of tit revving.

That vid should come with a warning as well as disclaimer - don't try this at home, brocken engines your responsibilty.Wonder if it has a twin carb twin port crank and rods ? Balanced and blueprinted crank :evil: ?

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 pm

steptoe wrote:Willy needs to come clean on that engine, to explain that extreme pleased-with-self look he had. The cranks have the room to flex a bit too much in an EA81. My centre main bearings copped a hiding from this flex going on, pounding the block casings to mushrooming status, after 180,000kms of tit revving.

That vid should come with a warning as well as disclaimer - don't try this at home, brocken engines your responsibilty.Wonder if it has a twin carb twin port crank and rods ? Balanced and blueprinted crank :evil: ?
All I know about the engine is it's a late model EA81 with hydraulic lifters and electronic ignition. The bloke I bought it off from ebay started putting it in a boat but never finished. When I took the rocker covers off it looked like new.

With only 3 main bearings I highly recommend not reving a EA this high.
if you watch the video you can see she peaks out at 90kmh anyway.

being a Gen 1 she is light and being only front wheel drive reduces a lot of mechanical drag.

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:54 pm

AlsoTiming is at 13° BTDC and re jetted it using jets out of a Hitachi I had lying around (I think its out of a 2 litre Toyota Hilux) primary jet has gone from 110 to 112 and secondary from 140 to 156 but, honestly I cant feel much difference since changing the jets.

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:40 pm

you may have already said somewhere in this gargantuan thread, lol. but how much would you charge for them? i wouldn't mind a set for my 1987 brumby. and where in nsw are you? i'm in Melbourne(just for shipping purposes)

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:12 am

I havent worked out a price yet, may get a few made up later this year when I make another one for my 82 Hardtop. was thinking of making them in two or three pieces (bolted flanges) for ease of posting.

sublime

Post by sublime » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Hey Willy, I would be interested in 1 possibly 2 if you do get more made.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 pm

sublime wrote:Hey Willy, I would be interested in 1 possibly 2 if you do get more made.
Would you want some EA71and EA63 sets as well? :twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 pm

just dawned on me, your unequal length pipes are a bit along the lines of interference V's tuned length extractors, with the unequal being more like interference type. Once replaced interference with tuned length on an inline six and lost torque, torque returned with interference type extractors again :)

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:50 pm

steptoe wrote:just dawned on me, your unequal length pipes are a bit along the lines of interference V's tuned length extractors, with the unequal being more like interference type. Once replaced interference with tuned length on an inline six and lost torque, torque returned with interference type extractors again :)
I'll have to google that LOL. My dad used to have an unequal set on a 6 banger XB Falcon and everyone thought it was a V8 from the sound.

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:27 am

Willy, I stole your idea.

1 3/4" headers. Stainless Steel 3 90° bends and one 45° bend.

And 2" cat back. 2 60° bends and 2 90° bends to complete the exhaust.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 pm

555Ron wrote:Willy, I stole your idea.

1 3/4" headers. Stainless Steel 3 90° bends and one 45° bend.

And 2" cat back. 2 60° bends and 2 90° bends to complete the exhaust.
Looking good Mate.

I'll be getting a new set made up shortly for my newest Vortex. Gonna go 2 1/4" and put a Hot dog between the Cat and Muffler, same as on my 88 Royale sounds much deaper.

Where is the sound clip?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I have a question! Only dawned on me this week; how much harder is it to change the oil filter now with the long pipe running around the front of the engine? :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 pm

You should still be able to get to it :

It might be a bit tight to get any tools in there though ... :(

P.S. - Like your work Ron, I will definitely have to get me one of these now ... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Exhausts”