2006 Outback H6 3.0R cats/exhaust

CharlieSierra

2006 Outback H6 3.0R cats/exhaust

Post by CharlieSierra » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi guys, I'm not the most automotive-savvy person ever and am after some advice - I have a 2006 Outback Premium H6 3.0R which has been relatively trouble free in it's 74,000kms, but is now showing malfunction lights (and disabling cruise control and SI-drive) due to two catalytic converters that have packed it in.

My local Subaru service centre has quoted $2000 for the left cat, and $2800 for the right cat, for replacement with genuine Subaru parts. I've checked around a few other places and which have priced replacement cats at $1400 each at one supplier which they confirm will fit my model of Outback, and $880 each from another supplier importing what sounds like generic/universal cats from Europe. I've also seen some universal cats listed online in the US for $150-400, but have no idea if these would even fit (the sites list them as compatible with a "Subaru Outback 2006 3.0", but that's no guarantee as far as I'm concerned).

I'm guessing I could also replace the entire exhaust system with an aftermarket package for the same price or less as the Subaru genuine part option as well. Does anyone know of any kits/parts available in Australia? I've seen a cat-back only kit for a Liberty GT which I assume will fit onto the existing exhaust headers on the Outback, or would I need to replace the headers as well?

Or am I best off just replacing the cats with the best fit?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 am

What you could do is put a spacer in the rear oxygen sensor so it still heats up with the exhaust, but doesnt sample the exhaust gas, thus it will think the cats are working properly. If the cats are actually blocked I see no issue in replacing them with aftermarket generic units for $150 each
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Exhausts”