EA82 Twin Exhaust

richanddi@lizzy.com.au

EA82 Twin Exhaust

Post by richanddi@lizzy.com.au » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi fellow Subaroosters, i just had a quirky idea and wondered if it has been done before or if it could infact be done at all for an EA82 4wd wagon, i would like to read all responses about this. I was thinking of using the original front y-pipe assembly including the cat converter then at the mid bolting point cut the pipe and insert a splitter to have a twin system back one pipe on each side at rear bumper, the passenger side should take care of itself but will a driver side pipe and muffler fit or will the fuel tank be too close and obstruct its path and will it pass over the diff mounting etc. with the uneven front section it should keep the subi tune alive and being twin at the back will it still sound kind of even, will it affect the performance/economy or any thing else or could it actually improve things, i have always been a fan of the twin exhaust vehicles and thought it could be a worthwile idea

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:08 am

If you're after twin exhaust tips I'd recommend plumbing in a twin exhaust off the rear muffler. This way you know the exhaust system is working to factory specs at the least, it might retain the subi note and it will have twin tips on either side of the subi if you arrange it that way. You shouldn't have issues with the fuel tank as the pipe will run behind it.

What would be best is a slightly larger exhaust such as a 2 inch unless you're looking at an EJ conversion then I'd leave it as is until after the conversion, then go for a 2 and 1/4 inch cat back system. Works well on my EJ22 and sounds the goods but is a single outlet...

If you're dead keen on it I'd go with the twins after the last muffler.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 am

You would be better off spending your money elsewhere like twin carbs or a Weber conversion.
Single 2 - 2.25 inch exhaust is plenty.
Regards

Gary ;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:36 am

Th twin carb conversion problems start in trying to find them. Go the weber as they are plentiful, parts available somewhere and Redline ? did an adaptor plate. Some say they can get same performanc from weber as twin carbs. Just a 2" single system would do. Twin tail pipe from rear muffler would look OK in smaller than 2" . Twin side by side. One pipe either side would look quirky - yes and you want a true twin system? Better ask an exhaust fella if he can make it work and how much if money concerns. Doubt it will go any better, likely lose back pressure which may be a consideration for drivability/torque. If you are to drive it at its redline it lkely will scream its tits off, be noisier, use more fuel :)

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:29 pm

steptoe wrote:Th twin carb conversion problems start in trying to find them. Go the weber as they are plentiful, parts available somewhere and Redline ? did an adaptor plate. Some say they can get same performanc from weber as twin carbs. Just a 2" single system would do. Twin tail pipe from rear muffler would look OK in smaller than 2" . Twin side by side. One pipe either side would look quirky - yes and you want a true twin system? Better ask an exhaust fella if he can make it work and how much if money concerns. Doubt it will go any better, likely lose back pressure which may be a consideration for drivability/torque. If you are to drive it at its redline it lkely will scream its tits off, be noisier, use more fuel :)
Have to agree - twin side-by-side, say 1 3/4 inch if you must.

Either option will mean bumper cutting and fabrication.

With whatever you, watch the drone at highway speeds (noting you live in the Bridge)

On a L, there are other things the almighty $$$ can be better spent on!
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 am

sven '2' wrote:On a L, there are other things the almighty $$$ can be better spent on!
EJ baby! EJ!! :twisted:

Or better front seats, cruise... I could keep going if you'd like :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Exhausts”