would anyone be interested? EA82...

twilightprotege

would anyone be interested? EA82...

Post by twilightprotege » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:56 pm

i'm about to build an exhaust manifold for my EA82T and i thought while at it, why dont i do the flanges on the heads properly. there's room for 4 studs/bolts, so why not use them to ensure the best possible seal and highest strength possible.

so i've drawn up the attached picture.

would any one be interest in getting a pair if i were to get a fair few laser cut? i'm getting mine in stainless, but naturally mild would be possible as well. the more people that want them, the cheaper they'll become naturally...
Attachments
subaru EA82 flange.jpg
subaru EA82 flange.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

06 Foz, 2" lift, 225/70/16 tyres

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Twilightprotege wrote:Image

Well it definitely looks the goods..... Shame i dont have my EA82T anymore :(
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:00 am

I'm interested in S/Steel
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 pm

that's wht i'm going to make mine out of - staino. i've got all my pipes and the like, as soon as the flanges are made i'll be putting it all together.

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:19 pm

turbo flange is done!

next....quotes.

and due to the nature of the turbo bolt holes, i have decided to make my "up" pipe out of 2" pipe, so it'll be a completely 2" system
Attachments
subaru EA82 turbo flange.jpg
subaru EA82 turbo flange.jpg (28.19 KiB) Viewed 2224 times

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 pm

I had a 2" up-pipe on my EA82T and it was fine.
Turbo lag was no different between the VF4 and factory up-pipe, and my TF035 and 2" up-pipe.

Just a suggestion, why not make the turbo flange with 2 rear bolt holes, to suit both the Ea82T's VF4 and the newer TD and VF series turbos
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 pm

yeah more than happy to put the extra bolt hole (it's a great idea) - if i just had a flange or turbo to draw it from so it's accurate

just also have to decide if i'm going to tap the flange (in which case the bolt holes will be smaller) or have bolt from underneath, and just weld them in place (studs get on my nerves from time to time)

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 pm

further to this - does anyone have a newer turbo off a car that can make measurements for me? as i said, i'm more than happy to design the flange to suit as many turbos as possible

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 pm

Something I noticed when I looked this evening is that the holes in the head flanges are larger than those in genuine EA82T gaskets . I wonder if this was to give the header a bit of leeway to expand and contract and reduce cracking with heating and cooling cycles .

I also noticed that the main hole in the gasket is a fair bit larger than the flanges main port .
The step in the wrong direction wouldn't be doing gas flow any favours at this point .
A few years back I had a steam pipe exhaust manifold made for my Nissan FJ20ET engine because the turbo I wanted to use had a different flange to the factory exhaust manifold .
When looking through a Blackwoods catalog I think I saw cast steel bends that may have actually been a curved reducer and that would be handy if there was a 50-52mm ID 90 degree bend available . I can't see why you couldn't slice it in half and fit a port divider and weld it back together again if you wanted to .

Cheers A .

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:24 am

as you saying even with an extra mounting hole, it wont work? on my flange i've made the OD of the exhaust hole 51.5mm i think (ie for a 2" pipe)

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:15 am

Sorry I left a word out , the stud holes in the std flange plates are larger than the studs (and gasket stud holes) probably to give them the ability to squirm around a little and not load the header pipe enough to crack it .
I've just measured a genuine gasket and the main hole is just under 58mm on my vernier caliper . They may close in a little when clamped up but hard to imagine being smaller than say 56mm .

I've been thinking again about using an EJ turbo type crossover pipe one because it has an expansion bellows in it and two because it has a two piece heat shield over it .
If I am right about those cast steel reducing bends it shouldn't be hard to make the heads flange plate and weld the cast steel reducing 90 deg bend straight to that - maybe extend with a short section of thick walled black steam pipe to get the height right .
You could organise a flange and gasket and bolt the EJ crossover pipe to that and that's about 1/3 of the thing made .
You could do the same for the turbo side head (steam pipe bend to another flange) then extend forward from a mating flange to your 180 bend and head back towards the collector .
I'd be interested to know what the ID of an EJ20's up pipe is because a cheap 2nd hand one , particularly if in stainless , could donate more flanges and a useful sized tube even if it needed to be reshaped .

I know most don't put flanges in their fabbed headers but they do make things easier to work on if bits of it are in the way .
I imagine EJ's are easier to do things on because you can remove sections of its header if need be .

Thoughts ?

Cheers A .

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 am

i did think of getting an EJ header and donating parts from it, but i've already bought everything i need (other than the flanges) and i dont want to spend any more on something that at the end of the day is a temp measure until I ej20t the car (probably over a year away however). also because my stock exhaust manifold has a crack in it and leaks. having the turbo get on full boost earlier than 2250 would be handy as well

also, more than happy to make the holes on the flange whatever size is required to suit as many aps as possible

Return to “Exhausts”