Ideas on quiet throaty exhaust for EA81?

Phizinza
General Member

Ideas on quiet throaty exhaust for EA81?

Post by Phizinza » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm after a quieter exhaust. I want something that rumbles a little all through the RPM, has a throaty sound above say 3000, 3500 rpm but is quiet at idle and cruise. Not as quiet as stock, but closer to that then a 2" straight through with straight through muffler noise. My car cruises at about 2600rpm at 100kph and I'd like everything between idle and that pretty quiet (obviously unless I step on the gas which in any situation will cause lots of noise).

And of cause, I don't want to have too much restriction because that will eat away at my economy. But I'm not fussed about power. I know I'd have to do something dramatic to decrease power noticeably.

Some ideas are obviously use lots of resonators and mufflers, which I can't do because ground clearance. I have have a muffler in the back and one short on by the y-pipes.
Use small pipe like 1.75". But would this do what I want and still give a little of the boxer rumble?
Different kinds of muffler at the back, but what brand and type should be used?
Adding a catalytic converter is a great silencer, but pretty darn expensive. If I had the cash...

So what setup would you suggest to keep it quiet?

Oh, I should also state I have the dual carb EA81, and its y-pipe aren't interchangeable with standard ones, I also don't feel like making new ones of those so if I could stick with them that would be good. They a two 1.75" into one 2"
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm

The Y pipes are fine.

Just go 2" from the Y into a 14" hotdog, the all the way to a straight through glass pack at the rear. Its the pipe from from the rear muffler to the tip of the tailpipe that makes the biggest impact on the exhaust note. The bigger and shorter you go, the louder and deeper the noise becomes
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Suparoo wrote:Just go 2" from the Y into a 14" hotdog, the all the way to a straight through glass pack at the rear.
This is what a mate had on this EA82. I didn't like the sound nor the volume.

So a long 2" tip would be quieter your saying?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 pm

In a way.

2" pipe is gonna reduce the megaphone effect, but increase the pitch, which wont make it as droning.

Tom (subarooster) has a 2.5" diff back straight through muffler and tailpipe (on a standard exhaust) and the note and volume is nice.

But if you are after a certain sound, the only way you will find it is by experimenting, and the biggest changes are gonna be found by changing stuff at the rear (last muffler and tailpipe)
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 am

mine is straight through 2" to muffler at the rear. Idle is quiet but gets raspy pretty quickly and the highway speed drone is starting to get to me, the Brumby body is not good for absorbing the rumble. If and when I go EA82T it will be quiet, no need to show off that beautiful turbo note (too much)

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:15 pm

mine is a stock headers then 2ich straight through with a long resonator in the middle and a straight through wide deep muffler. it also goes over the diff hanger.its almost unable to here inside the car but out side a great note and loud enough. i was told that having only the one straight through muffler at the end will drone thus why i had the resonator put in the middle.

this was done by Aldinga exhaust.

84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

brumbee

Post by brumbee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Brumbi, around how much did you pay?
I got quoted around 370 going stock from the cat back, i'm not sure, but nobody up here wants to go custom

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Would running 1.75" pipe to the diff, then a 2" straight through be quieter then a full header back 2" straight through?
Do you think running 1.75" pipe headers will change the note and noise much more then running standard 1.5" headers?

Kai, I had very similar on my Brumby and it was quite noisy in the cab, more so then what I have now.. Maybe its in the muffler used....?

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Brumbi, around how much did you pay?
got the receipt out $280
it also said the last muffler was a lukey SUPER CAT
thats Aldinga exhaust and radiators ph. 85577167

phiz i remember the exhaust guy saying that he has done lots of suby exhaust and they all sound different especially with some of them pop 'in on deceleration and some not. mine is very quiet inside, i was told that the resonator will stop drone and having the tailpipe end past the chassis will make it quieter in the cab.
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

kona480

Post by kona480 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Phizinza wrote:I'm after a quieter exhaust. I want something that rumbles a little all through the RPM, has a throaty sound above say 3000, 3500 rpm but is quiet at idle and cruise. Not as quiet as stock, but closer to that then a 2" straight through with straight through muffler noise. My car cruises at about 2600rpm at 100kph and I'd like everything between idle and that pretty quiet (obviously unless I step on the gas which in any situation will cause lots of noise).

And of cause, I don't want to have too much restriction because that will eat away at my economy. But I'm not fussed about power. I know I'd have to do something dramatic to decrease power noticeably.

Some ideas are obviously use lots of resonators and mufflers, which I can't do because ground clearance. I have have a muffler in the back and one short on by the y-pipes.
Use small pipe like 1.75". But would this do what I want and still give a little of the boxer rumble?
Different kinds of muffler at the back, but what brand and type should be used?
Adding a catalytic converter is a great silencer, but pretty darn expensive. If I had the cash...

So what setup would you suggest to keep it quiet?

Oh, I should also state I have the dual carb EA81, and its y-pipe aren't interchangeable with standard ones, I also don't feel like making new ones of those so if I could stick with them that would be good. They a two 1.75" into one 2"
my brumby has a 1.75" pipe. it doesn't sound like a wrx but sounds half like one just without that drone/bass watever you want to call it. I think a 3" tip would make it sound like a wrx

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm

90% of how an exhaust sounds is down to your choice of rear muffler...

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 pm

i gad a resonator put in, when i was defected(thanks for that)
they showed me it before it went in
it looked like the inside of a cannon made me think

now i want to try no muffler just resonators, but many to keep it quiet
E10 BLEND KILLS CARBY CARS AND RUSTS STEEL TANKS

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 am

Does anyone here have a straight through 1.75" all the way setup? I'm thinking that going to a smaller size like that will help the noise, but having straight through will keep the bark to the sound. Also with 1.75" I might be able to squeeze a res under the car somewhere as well as a muffler in the back next to the tank.

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

atm i have 2in ressy unknowen muff 1.75 pipe

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm

the inside of my resonator looks like a rasp, so there must be different types, hope any of this helps
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Brumbi, yes some mufflers and resinators have a raspy look inside and some have a mess look. I dunno how they effect what. I do know most of the really expensive brands use the mess style though, this is probably just because its better flow.

Gumbi Brumby, Do you have any audio/video clips of your Brumby? Different people seem to have different versions of quiet. So best to just "show and tell" I think

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:42 pm

none since i had the ressy put in
can i up load mp4 format vids?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3oow3pPH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIp8pJPg ... re=related

My car with EA82T and 2.25" turbo back exhaust, but with a 2" rear muffler and tailpipe

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:07 am

the gumbi brumby wrote:none since i had the ressy put in
can i up load mp4 format vids?
You can to Youtube. Even 3gp's.

Thanks Suparoo for the vids.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:26 am

So I had a little time to play around with exhausts yesterday. What I started with was 1.75" y-pipe runners into a 2.5" y-pipe back setup with one muffler. I had an old exhaust which was in good condition and was factory EA81 2wd 1.5" y-pipe back with resonator and rear muffler. I modified the mid pipe to work on the 4wd and welded it on (again just y-pipe back as my dual carb EA81 doesn't fit standard y-pipes). Sounded somewhat like stock only the with a little deeper noise coming from the y-pipes, sort of like resonating in them. Decently quiet though. I then tried a 2.5" tip which is about a foot long welded right up next to the muffler. This gave it a deeper note again but didn't resonate through the cabin. Its not as barky as I'd like it. But it is quiet and it doesn't sound like a crappy old 80's exhaust.

Weird thing is... It still has that raspy sound that the motor never made until I put it in the sedan.
Heres a vid of the sound when it was a 2.5" exhaust (rasps the same on the old stocker exhaust).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMS51MmmfEI

Oh, and of course the bit that you all would probably be interested in..... Performance.
So what does it do going from a 2.5" y-pipe back exhaust to a 1.5" y-pipe back? Nothing I can feel. And this is on an EA81dc with almost 30hp more then a standard EA81 (from factory).

Return to “Exhausts”