is your EGR operational ?

steptoe
Master Member

is your EGR operational ?

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 am

On my EA82T I simply used a T piece to T in a 2m length of 4mm vacuum washer hose at the EGR vacuum inlet, fed through a firewall plug hole to a spare EGR valve. I guess I could do it without, just testing whether I have vacuum or not during EGR supposed operation. I just stuck my finger in EGR valve in cabin to feel when it works. It does not work as described in factory manuals on my 87 EA82T. It is supposed to be inactive until operating temp and also above 45 kph. It is active whenever the vacuum is about 1 to 10 in Hg - maintaining light cruise throttle. It was easy for me to keep my finger on it driving an auto.

WARNING TO DRIVE ALONE WHILE TRYING TO DO THIS WOULD MOST LIKELY BE UNSAFE PRACTISE AND LEAD TO DEATH OR INJURY OF ONE OR MORE PERSONS. DO NOT FOLLOW THIS SUGGESTION

It should be safer to test with an observer / driver combo

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 am

I have found on the last three tanks of fuel my economy has improved by 0.5 litre per hundred km since making sure my EGR works. This 0.5 is on LPG , wonder if petrol gives different result. I was consistently getting 15 litres per 100 before I refined the state of tune of the gas equiment then consistently got 14.5. Now having removed a plate from under the EGR (* how'd that get there??) and hooked up a spare in cabin to feel when EGR works (at all temps at all revs between 1and 10 in Hg) my economy has consisitently been 14 litres or smidge less per 100.

14 ! 15!! out of an EA82 ??

well it is turbo, it is 3 speed auto doin a few revs at 100kph and it is LPG which in pre vapour or liquid injection is known to use 15 to 25% more volume than petrol. Litre for litre LPG only has about 80% the energy of petrol and only about 70% the weight and an octane rating of 109RON (112% of 96RON wet stuff?) and price about 50% that of petrol.

I'm :)

* rumour has been you can get a 10kW increase on EA82T if you disconnect EGR. My new understanding of how the EGR is meant to work on this engine and how it actually works on this engine both blows the theory away as EGR only allows exhaust gas to recirculate during a window of 1 to 10 inHg which is not at the horsepower measuring throttle opening

Return to “Exhausts”