Cheap exhaust upgrades AND industrial deafness for all!!!

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Cheap exhaust upgrades AND industrial deafness for all!!!

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:08 pm

A thought struck me the other day, after I tripped over spare exhasut pieces for the umpteenth time:
:idea: "the bend in the MY middle exhaust section is very similar to the bend in the muffler section, that could just be what I need to give my a free flowing and throaty exhaust" /:idea:

So what better to do on australia day then work on the car :D

Out came the spanners, off came the muffler, attempt 1 to fit middle section, no go, the mounting piece was picking a fight with the moustache bar.

So out comes the trusty angle grinder and off comes the mounting bracket, attempt 2....SUCCESS :D it fits, although it looked a little silly hanging 2 feet behind the car, so out comes the angle grinder again and cut nicely flush to the rear quarter panel.

Quarter panel? I hear you ask (I could just be hearing things)

And yeah the angle isn't exactly the same as the muffler but very close, it doesn't exit the car via the dint in the bottom of the rear bumper but just behind the rear wheel, like so:

Here you can see how it all lines up and my very temporary mounting "bracket", I will be re-attaching the original mounting bracket inline with mounting bracket on the chasis, I just wasn't going to that much effort for a test.

So the all important questions:
How does it sound?
Very LOUD:!: but very nice, it has the rexy burble complete with a very clear and raspy rev, I took these with my digital camera, they don't really give you the full effect but it gives you an idea: stationary reving and 0-100ish km/h :wink:

If anyone knows what the legal limit is in NSW for an exhaust could you let me know.

How does it go?
Definitely revs much more easily and much harder, have noticed a slight performance increase but currently limited by a sick carby.

Note: the mid section I used is not a stock mid section, it is made from 2" pipe with no resonator, although a stock section should work as the resonator starts about 3-4" into the section that would be cut off.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:06 am

I really think you need a muffler on there Baron. Without it you won't get enough back-pressure and you risk burning your exhaust valves.

Other than that though, it's a great idea! :D
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:12 am

Cheers Tim, although it sounds really good I think it's a bit TOO loud, could quite easily offend people with out much effort, Amy thinks it's too loud too.

Might put the muffler back on in a couple of days once I've had my fun.

Jordan.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:12 am

OK I've had my fun, although it sounds tough it's just way too loud, back to stock we go.

Jordan

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

LOL. Doesn't sound as loud as my coupe :D

No "going back to stock" for me though......
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:16 pm

I had a play with the cannon I have destined for my tourer, pretty happy with the sound of it, I just don't have a welder on hand to properly attach it, I'll be going with stock till I get that sorted.

The sound files really do it no justice, I have a kenwood 40Wx4 head unit and i can barely hear it with the windows open and only just hear it with the windows closed.

That being said, I don't doubt yours is insanely loud Tim, actually I kind of expect it. :wink:

Jordan.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 am

Can't wait to see that cannon on the tourer Baron :D
Actually I can't wait to see the tourer - when's it gonna be done?

When I bought the only muffler I have on the coupe a workmate of mine put his whole arm through it.... :twisted:

I think you might have tempted me to give the above mentioned mod a shot on my wagon too... screw my exhaust valves! :twisted: :twisted:
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:12 am

Xaymaca is coming up shortly with my AWD box, my liberty CV's and cruise control gear should get here any day now. Just need to decide an a clutch kit, I want to make sure the EJ22 fly wheel fits before I buy that kit.

Then I've got to sort out my loom, coming into some extra funds soon, considering going for a pre-prepped one from sunspares, I'll have another stab at my current loom first before I concede defeat, mostly due to lack of time, I just want it running and want it reliable.

My cannon isn't huge like that, it's just a 2" inlet, 3" outlet, exactly what I wanted, just enough to bring out the rexy rumble.

Go on, you know you want to do it on the wagon, at least for a little while :twisted:

Jordan.

Return to “Exhausts”