Finally finished my downpipe

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 pm

its awful because you cant see whats goin on with the boost, cant see the road ahead to judge acceleration, the camera shakes like micheal j fox, and the tacho doesnt hit rev limiter :p

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Suparoo wrote:The noise at about 20sec is me crossing a timber bridge.
Arr good i was getting alittle worried for you for a second then. It should be WELL under legal, she's pretty tame although I am sure it sound a little better/louder in real life then i does on the clip.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:33 pm

FYI - Here is another 1, mine's 3".

and

Sorry no audio clip though (yet :))
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Looks nice blackmale, how does it sound?

Here is an update
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FIp8pJPgDXQ

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zT3oow3pPH0
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Terrible camera-man. :) sounds much better in person.

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Suparoo wrote:Looks nice blackmale, how does it sound?
Look old that's how it looks ;). Should eventually sound a bit louder then yours based on what i just heard in the clip. Although currently it has no pipe from the cat back so it would be real loud atm. IF i can get it wired up and the timing correct (i had to remove the dizzy) then the engine might fire, if it does then i'll record it for you and post it.

(I also need/want to look increasing the size of of that dam up pipe so i may be even able to do a pre/post sound bit for you as well).

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:27 pm

better, iwanna see more tho :)

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:04 pm

i wanna see more tho what?!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:44 pm

I'll see if i can get hold of that camera man again and we will give it another shot.

In that first clip of my second set, you can hear when i hit a crappy bit of road towards the end.

In the 2nd clip, i hit a gravel patch and have to lay off the throttle in 1st gear.

It was also very windy on that day.

We need proper mic's to hear it better. I'll see what i can come up with
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:39 pm

I finally got back to Rally central so Ellie could get on the hoist and be measured for a real exhaust .

Sadly the STi rear muffler is not going to fit without boot floor mods so it's up for sale - 2003 one ...

AJ doesn't want to have the cat in the downpipe so it's going behind the swivel joint - but there's more .
The new spare cat (been gathering dust for 3 yrs) is a 3" Catco which is not all bad because the only swivel joint on hand is 3" so the cat will be welded behind it .

We measured up a spare Vortex down pipe turbo flange and conveniently 2.25" tube fits neatly inside it .
They'll fit the largest can area muffler at the back that will physically fit and reckon just the one should be ok .
I'm in two minds as to whether it needs another behind the cat so if anyone can give me an honest opinion of the noise levels I'd appreciate it .
I like quiet and no boxer burble .

Cheers A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Booked in for next Tuesday so fingers crossed it will breathe better and not be too hard to live with .

The rear muffler has the largest oval can area that will fit and they decided to get a cylindrical resonator as well . The tube size is going to be 2.25" and the turbine housing flange will be a std one .
No time to play with dumps and probably pointless making one for a std IHI turbo anyway .

Cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:20 pm

discopotato03 wrote: No time to play with dumps and probably pointless making one for a std IHI turbo anyway .
Aww i disagree.

Ben has a 2.5" downpipe in his shed that has a VF4/7 flange on it. He rekons it made a huge difference to his RX when he had it. You should PM him and ask if he wants to part with it.

You only have to look at the inlet and outlet on the factory cat to see how restrictive it is.

Off topic slightly... what are you doing about engine management? Cos even after upping my boost to 9-10psi, i didnt feel a great jump in power and i feel it has to do with the factory ECU running seriously rich to prevent damage. I like the look at the DFA from jaycar.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Double post deleted

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Gannon , in the poo time wise (one days work at a time remember) so no time to do anything with dumps for an early IHI .
I'm still not sure which turbo I'll run so the least effort spent on the lil dinosaur the better . 2.25" exhaust tube fits straight into an EA82s turbo outlet or "dump" flange (after the std pen ink tube is cut off) so thats quickest and easiest .

There is a couple of paths open to me and the VF10's turbine housing is one of them . Being I think P15 size it'd get you the equiv of the larger "R15" turbine housing that the non catted dirty countries got on EA82's . Part of the extra 30 odd ponies they got .

I'd really prefer to play with a TD04 later so I'll worry about dumps and headers then .

BTW thinking about fitting a spacer plate under the thermostat housing so that the turbos upper water pipe can be raised which I think will help these critters thermosypon properly with slightly larger than std turbos sitting slightly higher on the engine .

Lastly , I would have asked but can't remember , is yours 3 or 4 plug computer ? It makes a difference because 3 plugs don't appear to have an injector dropping resistor so injectors must be the high resistance or "saturated" variety . I know 4 plug systems do so they must have low resistance peak and hold injectors .

Out of time and back shift tonight , cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah mines a 4 plug. Remember to post pics when you are done

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:08 pm

ECU wise not sure yet , I'm interested to see how far the factory one will go . I suppose I could cheat by having the 4 plug computers engine control wiring enter the bay via the gearboxs wiring gromet and run that .

Have the hand controler and DFA as well .

Cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 am

discopotato03 wrote: Have the hand controler and DFA as well
I am interested in the DFA cos its cheap and simple, but it is only single axis, ie. its only input is airflow, it doesnt map it against RPM, but i guess that shouldnt be a problem for simple fuel adjustments.

I was looking at a product called the UAFC but the guy who was building them, has stopped making them for the time being. I keep scouting eBay for cheap piggy back devices too

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

No time ATM to look up JEs article but yes it does work over a scale corresponding to rpm .

It's basically a signal modifier that allows to increase/decrease or leave as is the mass air sensors signal out put voltage .
Yours being full managememt (fuel and timing) means the timing will alter as well so it's a compromise .

A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Are you willing to part with your DFA?

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Not ATM , it's still a bag of bits .

Cheers A .

Return to “Exhausts”