Anyone have a 2.5" exhaust on their EA82 ?

vortexxt

Anyone have a 2.5" exhaust on their EA82 ?

Post by vortexxt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Howdy all,

I have an EA82 powered vortex (alas not the turbo). From what I have read in other postings it sounds like a 2" system is the largest recommended sensible exhaust size before low down torque is affected.

The rear muffler I have my heart set on has a 2.5" inlet and I would like to hear from anyone that has a 2.5" system on their ea82 re how badly low end torque etc is affected.

I assume that there's no point in having a 2" exhaust feeding into the 2.5" muffler?

Cheers

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

I have the 2" going to a 2.5" muffler and I am very happy with it. Goes a helluva lot better than the old system. I found the bit of pipe that runs adjacent to the G/B was crushed to half of its diameter which was really giving me poo performance. When the new system went in(cat bac only though) it ran a lot better and has a nice note to it too.

Be careful with fitting a different muffler as there is naff-all space back there.

Do it I say - it will make a little bit of difference and will sound a bit better too without the droning of "silly" diameter systems.

Hooroo
Rob Forsyth

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:59 pm

my vortex goes n sounds ok but it was on there when i got it

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coupe

Post by coupe » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:04 pm

hi
My 85 vortex has a 2.5, low down torque is ok but the sound out the back iS like a WRX.
Cheers Pete
Use The Fork Luke

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:27 am

people say my 2" on EA81 sounds rexxish especially in 4WD on wet tar launches. The EA82t with 2.5" sounds more like a rex though. Since it is T, i cannot help with your question, surely you would do well with 2 inch flanged up to your preferred muffler

vortexxt

Post by vortexxt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:45 am

Cheers for the comments guys.

Sounds like installing a complete 2.5" system or going for the 2" system into the 2.5" muffler will both work.

I'd like the deepest wrx like note possible and prefer the idea of having the same size all the way through so reckon I'll go for the entire 2.5

Anyone have any comments on the best value exhaust joint in Adelaide?

Thanks again

Johnno

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:39 pm

few comments;

for suitability for your motor, note that an RS turbo with EJ20turbo motor runs 2.25" stock. my car with this motor runs 2.25" with a straight thru muffler. Any bigger than this will gain you nothing power wise on an EA82.

90% of how your exhaust sounds is down to your choice of rear muffler.

To get the famous and popular boxer rumble you need a turbo motor (the turbo headers make that sound happen).

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:08 pm

i had a 2.5 with my ea82. Sounded pretty sweet hey. Dpends on the muffler and how many resonators etc you run.

Made bugger all difference to power. You THINK its faster cos it makes noise, but it isnt.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 pm

ahahaahah ......yer....

2.5 is as big as i would go on an 82...any bigger is a waste of time i think

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 pm

I am thinking.... hows about scoring a turbo cross over exhaust from an EA82T and fit that before going the new 2.5" system....maybe part of its path that gives the turby burble?

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 am

What Andrew said . You can make it really easy if you want by using an RS Turbos dump pipe though you will need to change the turbo end flange - maybe by using the one off your EA82 DP (have to increase the hole size in it slightly) . If you are interested in function size the exhaust around the predicted power output , 2.5" tube is plain silly for 125 Hp output .

I'm going to use 2.25" tube and this is plenty for 200 odd Hp .

A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Factory NA EA82 headers still produce the boxer rumble. They are just just as uneven the turbo headers, but probably flow better
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

vortexxt

Post by vortexxt » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:11 am

Update..

Cheers for the comments fellas.

I went to D&T exhausts here in Adelaide yesterday and they said a 2.5" system is too large and will suck all power at lower and medium revs (and I don't have much to lose!!!).

They recommended a 2" or 2.25 system is the way to go for the exhaust & cat and then flare it out to connect to the 2.5" muffler (I want a Xforce Varex and the smallest is 2.5").

He reckons I'd get an extra 10 kws at the wheels with a free flowing exhaust and an extra 3 from a K&N filter. Does this sound plausible ?

Cheers

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:41 am

vortexxt wrote: He reckons I'd get an extra 10 kws at the wheels with a free flowing exhaust and an extra 3 from a K&N filter. Does this sound plausible ?

Cheers
LOL Not to me
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:27 pm

I think you'll find that Pipercross filters are better than K&N , I know everyone gets glooey over the washable aspect but try doing one because if it's not done VERY carefully they flow very poorly .

I think you need to rethink this 2.5" muffler business because it's not going to do what you want . The fact of the matter is that a 2.5" bore muffler on the end of a 2 or 2.25" pipe is a step backwards - regardless of what it looks like . If anything you want the tail end of an exhaust system to reduce in size because the gas loses a LOT of heat on the way through and when it does it contracts and loses speed or velocity . If it slows too much it can all but stop and thats when you get reversion issues that costs the bottom end torque .

The trouble with cars is that there are so many urban myths out there and people want to do inappropriate things and wonder why they get poor results .
I think I posted a link at this site before to Michael South Engineering (MSR ?) and how he gets best power and torque from a WRX in production rallying by going down in tube size towards the rear of his cars .

I'm not using The Force here , only the facts .

A .

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I went from the stock exhaust on my L series to a 2inch system done by Gepps Cross Exhausts. It made a big differeence to the way it revved and seem to have more go with better fuel economy. It had a straight through muffler and a newly fabricated headed into a 'Y' piece. It eventually annoying on long drives interstate so I fitted I hi-flow spots cat and a hot dog resinator. This gave it a nice exhaust note and made it a bit more quiet. I did notice some high end power lost though. The RX coupe has a 2.25 inch exhaust and this makes it go quite well and give the real WRX sound.

Cheers,
Cars: 02 Subaru Outback
85 Subaru RX Turbo Coupe (sold)
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:35 pm

i had 1 1/4 i think very free flowing lol
installed a k&n, power gain
had a 2 1/2 at home put in on, sounds like a speed way car when im under it sounds ok at half pace may have lost power
on the brumby ea81 non turbo

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I'd like my RX to have a 2.25" exhaust with a longish straight through resonator in the std position and an ~ 2000 STi rear muffler if I can find one .
It means a cat (better than std pea shooter dinosaur) will have to stay in the down pipe .
I'd like it to have a sort of std WRX note - quiet .

A .

Return to “Exhausts”