difference in front CV's and boots

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
vidler
General Member

difference in front CV's and boots

Post by vidler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am

okay, after a trip to the local CV man yesterday to rebuild a shaft for the lib, i had one that had a good outer joint, but the boot on the inner had failed on my trip over from qld, by the time i got home the joint was knackered.

so i took that shaft down and a replacement inner. What i was told is that the 2wd front shafts are much stronger than the AWD shafts and that its a regular upgrade in high HP wrx's etc. The shafts brett supplied the car with were these 2wd ones.

here's a photo below of the difference, the 2wd one is on the left, and the stock wrx on the right. Also the one on the left has a boot from a hilux, capable of handling larger CV angles, and hold a heap more grease.

so all in all there is a hell of a difference and im hoping that with the different boot and 2wd shaft i should get a decent life out of it.

also out of interest, who knows how the outer joint comes apart? or does it only seperate when its buggered?
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:49 am

The outer is held in place by a circlip. You can get it apart but it is a 50/50 chance of doing it with out stuffing it. Only way I know of doing it it with a vice and a FBH.

Do you have a part number or model number for the Hilux boot? Bloody good idea.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:51 am

That's very interesting Vidler. From your pic it looks as if the 2wd shaft has more travel inside the cup. And the whole shaft appears longer? This is good news for me and my quest for a wider (the widest) track.

With regards to the outer joint (CV), it only seperates from a sharp tap with a hammer. There is a circlip inside that can only be forced out of its home with said hammer. Easiest to get someone to show you.

Compliments on your new sig!
Settlement Creek Racing

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Great idea!

Vidler, could you please post up part number details?

:)
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

Subaru - Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm

One question, Would that difference be similar for L series front 2wd drive shafts?? Looks a hell of a lot better.
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:21 pm

The boot looks more like my outer one than the inner.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 pm

just gave em a buzz, its a multi combalution boot (that just refers to the amount of rings its got.)

the part number they have is ACB-249, not sure on brand etc but hope this helps.

I'll go measure see if there is any difference in internal travel

also not sure if its the same case for L series, worth investigating though

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Im pretty sure that the L series 2wd ones would be bigger than the 4wd ones cause they are a similar set up to your ones im guessing.

Because of the bigger bearings, they would wear slower with a lift kit too??

cheers, Jarrod
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:20 pm

both cv's have an internal travel of 40mm, so no difference there. I'll assume overall length would be the same other wise they wouldn't be interchangeable. In that photo the CV is fully compressed so i may end up moving the position of the boot once its in the car, just to get a happy medium between a compressed and extended strut

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Alright then. Thanks for the help vidler.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:25 pm

2wd L series and 2wd MY both have big inner cups like the Liberty does.

I never measured the angle of the 2wd/4wd cv but to me it looks as though it should have the ability to have a larger angle and therefore create more wheel travel.
Compliments on your new sig!

I'll second that. Looks good.
The colour of that car blends in so well with the natural surrounds doesn't it?

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Suby Roo wrote:Im pretty sure that the L series 2wd ones would be bigger than the 4wd ones cause they are a similar set up to your ones im guessing.

Because of the bigger bearings, they would wear slower with a lift kit too??

cheers, Jarrod
thats pretty much what they told me, because its a physically larger joint its a bit stronger. not sure how it will cope with the lift kit and extra angle. depends on your lift kit too. if you've got 3" strut tops with 3" crossmember etc your CV angle will remain stock as a rock. its when you start putting in king springs or altering your suspension you get the extra angle.

the liberty has 3" strut tops with 2" crossmember, along with outback struts and king springs, so the angle is pretty wild but it gets the sump further from the ground:)

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 pm

At the moment its unlifted but im looking at a 3" kit for it. Was also looking at swapping the entire struts for liberty ones too.

The angle shouldnt alter that much but im just looking at something stronger for it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Suby Roo wrote:Im pretty sure that the L series 2wd ones would be bigger than the 4wd ones cause they are a similar set up to your ones im guessing.

Because of the bigger bearings, they would wear slower with a lift kit too?
I don't think this is the case as the 4wd L's are part time 4wd and would experience the same forces as the 2wd model. Where as the AWD liberty has 4 wheels powering the car at all times the stress from the front drive shafts would not be the same as those experienced by the 2wd liberty models...

This is why the turbo L's have the larger cup too.

I think i heard somewhere before that the 2wd L drive shaft can't be put on the 4wd L as there are some differences (which i have not investigated yet - got a 2wd parts car at home).

Cheers

Bennie

PS vidler, i'll put my hand up to say a big well done on the sig too!
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

[quote="El_Freddo"]
I think i heard somewhere before that the 2wd L drive shaft can't be put on the 4wd L as there are some differences (which i have not investigated yet - got a 2wd parts car at home).
QUOTE]

I havent heard of this but ill have a look down at the local wreckers to see it there is any difference.

Is it possible to put a larger cup and bearings on a 4wd shaft?

Jarrod

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:14 am

Suby Roo wrote: Is it possible to put a larger cup and bearings on a 4wd shaft?
Yes, from the turbo models, but if you don't already have an MPFI gearbox in the car you'll have to change your diff's stub axles. The carbie stud axles have 23 splines, MPFI and MPFI turbo both have 25 splines with the turbo units using a larger inner cup and most likely a larger diametre shaft too.

Someone will have the exact info on here...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”