Brumby Mods

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
ashleyn

Brumby Mods

Post by ashleyn » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi All

I'm pretty new at this and am blown away by your collective knowledge. I have a 1990 Brumby, done 200k when I got it. I've replaced the CV's, bought Speedie 14" wheels, torneau cover and SAAS steering wheel. Apart from that pretty standard but I'd like to do some mods. Needs new exhaust system and I want to add power steering and a 2" lift kit, maybe some better shocks. Done a bit of research but like as many tips as possible. I'm reasonably handy but want to know what I should tackle and what I should leave to the experts.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi

Adding power steering is as simple as aquiring a power steering pump, lines and rack from any MY series car (brumby, wagon, coupe, sedan) and bolting them in.

2" lift kit order one from BYB or HiRise and bolt it in, shouldn't cause any dramas at all. The instructions are easy to follow with hardly any points to pay special attention to. You basically just need some spanners and a socket set, some good axel stands and a decent hydraulic jack make it easier too.
You will have to take a quick trip to an exhaust shop to have the exhaust repositioned a little - it will hang down too low otherwise.

I'm more familiar with L series shockies and springs but I the good old KYB Strut / Kings Springs combination goes well in the front end of an MY. I beleive you use Gas Riser shockies from some kind of Holden for the rear end (?? somebody correct me on this)

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm

yeah MGR-504 HQ-WB Holden rear air shocks almost bolt straight in... just need to use an adaptor to mount the top pin to the two bolt holes on the body.

Can post a shockie mount picture if need be.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:14 pm

tim_81coupe wrote:yeah MGR-504 HQ-WB Holden rear air shocks almost bolt straight in... just need to use an adaptor to mount the top pin to the two bolt holes on the body.

the need is be, or something liek that

just post that pic :p (please)
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Sunspares can do me all the PS parts for about $700 delivered to WA. Is that a reasonable price ? They say there are some 'minor' mods required for the pump mount due to the anti-polution gear on the 1990 model.

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Do you really need power steering though? I get by fine with out it, three point turns can get annoying but its not that bad...
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 pm

LOL thats kinda expensive for a want of Power Steering.

ive got the bracket and pump off my old motor in the shed. maybe more. i aint sure nemore wt i kept off my motor.

Speak to SubGiraffe aswell he shuld have some leftovers for P/Steering aswell.

we are both in Perth aswell
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

subgiraffe

Post by subgiraffe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 am

yeah, got a ps pump and bracket if you need. If the steering is heavy, there is something wrong/worn on your front end.

When I lifted my brumby I put in adjustable radius rods and pushed the castor a closer to neutral, the steering is nice and light, yet stable at high speed.

Someone on the board was making adjustable castor rods, can't remember who, I believe I bought mine before the board rebuild.....

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:15 am

tim_81coupe wrote:yeah MGR-504 HQ-WB Holden rear air shocks almost bolt straight in... just need to use an adaptor to mount the top pin to the two bolt holes on the body.

Land Cruiser FJ-45 shocks will go in with no mods.As long as you've done the lift every where else there is no need for bracket extensions for the shock mounts.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Do the land cruiser shocks go in with the 2" lift?
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:58 pm

ChPLAT wrote:Do the land cruiser shocks go in with the 2" lift?
Yes you need the lift kit in to make them fit.But you will not need the rear shock extensions as they will be long enough.
[/SIZE]

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 pm

The Landcruiser shocks should be right as i believe they are 3" longer?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:43 pm

I find the length of the FJ40 front shocks better for a 2" lift.
Settlement Creek Racing

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:19 pm

I used front FJ40-45 cruiser shocks for the rear of my 84 'MY' wagon. Found out the loud way why you dont use the lift kit shocky extensions....with a bit of a load on board and hitting a bump there would be an almighty 'BANG', removed extensions and noise went. Now all i hear is the scream of the EA81 in full song!!!

Prunes

Post by Prunes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:46 am

So the FJ40/FJ45 shocks have the pin top and eye bottom just like the brumby, or do I need to salvage the pin out of the standard shocks?
Oh and should I go heavy duty or just stick with the basic monroe ones?
Thanks
2002 Impreza GX Hatch: Dents, Scratches, Missing inside wheel arch, Barely attached front bumper.
1983 Brumby: Currently being rebuilt.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:56 pm

You will have to save the pin type and i have heard of people using second hand standard ones with great sucess....
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

PHATnob

Post by PHATnob » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm

subgiraffe wrote:Someone on the board was making adjustable castor rods, can't remember who, I believe I bought mine before the board rebuild.....
You can make Adjustable Castors youself from EA falcons Castors (I may be incorrect on series), as they have a nice long amount of thread to play with, and they are reasonably thick.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope the $700 power steering set came with a whole car mate, lol, that is terribly expensive. Hope you find one a LOT cheaper elswhere.
L series racks bolt straight in too, with small mods. You need to use MY Tie rod ends to the rack ends and shorten the rack ends about 8-10mm to allow for adjustment. The rack may need slight spacing from the cross member (3 washers should do) to allow it to fit without steering boots rubbing on front the control arms.

Steering: Have you checked the strut tower tops to see if they are rubbing on anything. My Uncle had that problem with the steering being heavy.

If you wanting to go offroad, an L series Dual range Gearbox is a good upgrade (bolts in with minor mods) for a lower low range than MY boxes.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:38 am

Cameron was making Adjustable Castor Rods at one stage. I haven't seen him online for a little while PM him and see how you go? Or you can modify XD Falcon Rods to fit?
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:25 pm

i have a 92 brumby with 3inch lift what shocks do ya reckon would be good
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 pm

FJ 45 cruiser shocks go straight in ,no mods and no lift extension.From memory I think you need to take one of the pins out.
[/SIZE]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”