Fitting a weber

Engine, gearbox, diff & driveshafts
El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Fitting a weber

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:37 pm

Putting an EA82 into a brumby is blasphemy! Just don’t.

EJ anything from EJ18 and up, yes. EA82, NOOOOO!

Ppl “should” be pulling their EA82s from their L series and replacing them with the ever faithful EA81.

But that’s my thinking.

5spd, go for it ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Car used 14l to do 80km which is pretty high. It also surges quite badly sometimes. Will be coasting along and go to accelerate (light or hard, doesn't matter) only for nothing to happen briefly then a huge thud as the motor wakes up.

It also wont idle with choke from cold. It will start, run for a few seconds then taper off and die. I have to keep revving it in order to keep it alive until it warms up a bit.

Dunno what to do from here. Any suggestions are welcome.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am

14l should get 140km minimum your carby is over fueling very badly.

first thing you need to do is get the right jets, not just primary and secondary jets but the primary and secondary idle jets as well. then you need the correct air bleed screws and emulsion tubes. after that you need to get the correct venturi. some times you will need the idle stop solenoid as well for the primary circuit, to stop dieseling.

primary jet is from 120 to 150, secondary jet 130 to 180 both depending on your driving style. primary idle jet 50 to55 secondary idle jet 50 to 55 bleed screws and emulsion tubes (depends on if it is a real weber or the copy) venturi 3 to 3.5.

If you have bought a weber copy it may never run right as they have casting problems in the throat body.

How do you know if you have a real weber https://imgur.com/a/uo88ekD the real weber has a W then the weber name, the reproduction has nothing.

good luck with it

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info TOONGA. I really appreciate the help.

How do I tell what jets it has? I assume I have to pull the carby apart, remove the jets and measure them?
Is this pretty accurate: https://www.streetsource.com/wiki/76/ch ... weber-3236

I bought from a proper carby place to avoid these sorts of issues. I told him exactly what it was for and he said it was a direct fit.
I didn't even think to ask about jets because I assumed I would be supplied the correct configuration for my motor and the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Is it possible the jets are appropriate and something else is wrong?
For example could I just have the mixture wrong or have done something else totally stupid?
It is possible I have too much pressure at the fuel pump (the previous carby had a return line?) and I need a regulator?
Could I have a vacuum leak I can't see? (unlikely, basically everything on the manifold is capped off).
Could the motor just be badly stuffed? (maybe I'll comp test it).

Or can that sort of horrendous fuel economy only be the jets inside the carby?

Is there anyone is regional (western) Vic that can be recommended who I can just take the vehicle to as I've pretty much had enough. If it wasn't for you guys being amazingly helpful and knowledgeable I probably would have torched it by now.

Thanks again for the assistance.

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 am

Update:

The valve clearances were far too tight. I've corrected this.
The mixture was also off (screw open about 1 full turn more than needed).

Motor compression tests at over 1200kpa on all 4 cylinders which is above spec according to the workshop manual.

As part of the valve adjustments, I noted once of the pistons has a small dent in it like it has contacted the spark plug or something. The number 2 (passenger side front) piston seems to come up higher than the other three. It doesn't appear to be contacting the plug now (no apparent damage to the plug) but I don't think it should be coming up as high as it does. Any thoughts on if this could be an issue? I don't really see how it could be possible short of incorrect parts or a major installation oooops.

Haven't driven it much so can't say if the fuel economy has improved. It still has a flat spot and really struggles with power loss around corners and roundabouts, like the vehicle cornering is somehow restricting fuel supply?

Thanks

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Hey ‘91,

How do you know that cylinder 2’s piston comes up higher than the rest? I reckon that would typically show a much higher compression reading than the other cylinders if everything else is the same.

I can’t help with the Weber stuff - never played with them. For a Weber you’re about halfway into an EJ conversion depending on how you do it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “EA Drivetrain”