Switch climate control panel with stereo (Brumby/Leone)

EA era Interior mods/updates & maintenance
johnnyjoejoejr

Switch climate control panel with stereo (Brumby/Leone)

Post by johnnyjoejoejr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm a soon-to-be Brumby owner, and am aleady looking at mods I can tinker with. I'm thinking of swapping the climate control panel with the stereo panel so the stereo sits above the climate control. This way the head unit is at a better line of sight with the driver, and potentially install a double-DIN unit with sat nav, parking camera etc. Without having access to the car yet and pull things apart, I can't check the workings of the climate control and see if it is moveable. Has anyone attemped such a thing, or can definitively say why it cant be done?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Switch climate control panel with stereo (Brumby/Leone)

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm

It can be done. But I don’t know with what difficulty or how much room is behind the control panel.

Search through Bantum’s infotainment thread, I think he’s got images in there that are along the same lines that you want to go with ;)

Welcome to the forum too!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet2

Re: Switch climate control panel with stereo (Brumby/Leone)

Post by Silverbullet2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:38 pm

I was going to go with this idea as well, it can certainly be done but in the end it was more effort than I could be bothered putting in :oops:

The main difficulty I found is the pushrod operated heater tap, and pushrod operated vent position lever (lower, upper, windscreen) And mounting the panel with enough strength. Could probably get away with making new custom length bowden-cables/push rods for the controls, but would need custom metalwork to mount it to ( I wouldn't trust just the plastic surround from the old stereo console)

Bantum
General Member

Climate Control Panel Switcheroo

Post by Bantum » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:32 pm

Yeah I also toyed with this idea & came to the conclusion that although it could be done, it's a lot of work for not much benefit. As there's not much room behind & to get all the controls to work + you would still have to angle the screen up to be able to see it - You'd need to re-route the cables & pretty sure they interfere with the dash structure, with insufficient space behind for it to work. One other suggestion that I've seen has been to swap the control cables for electronic control servo motors. Haven't look into that idea much further, but worth considering ... :)
Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “EA Interior”