Nicely explained Sam.

When is the car going to be finished :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 pm

That's crazy mate. Where did you learn all that stuff?

It was almost like learning a new language for me!

Top effort once again!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Bennie - it's part of my job to understand this stuff at least to some degree :rolleyes: Trust me it was like a new language to me too, took me ages to wrap my head around what was going on and this is a really basic circuit.

Jules, it will be finished when it's finished :rolleyes: Hopefully in the next 6 months. There's alot of fiddly little things to do that take ages (like the tacho circuit :? ) I'm nearly ready to put the carpet in, just have to do 1 more front seat mount. Then it's all interior stuff...and exhaust...and front struts...well there's a bit more to do yet :mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Re: Tutorial: Converting EA81 to EDIS

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:12 am

Hmm, the tute is not locked !

Read, read and re-read is definitely good advice.

Maybe watch this space >>>>>> [ ] for my attempt to follow Silverbullet Sam in an EA82GT application.

Sam has shared a lot of his learned experience in every aspect of his conversion with me over time , and I am still putting a lot of parts research for the best "off the (local) shelf " way of going about it. There are different coil construction, therefore different lead ends to deal with. Sounds like Sam enjoyed the home made lead task as much as finding his new engine ate a distributor gear :(

I have found local and US part numbers for the two coil types, a typical HT lead set donor vehicle available locally in Australia

A little gem I discovered , contrary to what is above , the EDIS4 modules can be found in something like 2002 Focus and 2001 Mondeo with ADR compliance plates.

Anyone tempted to join this very tiny club yet? 3,300 odd views of Sam's photo's - not all just me surely??

Having trouble confirming lead set component lengths to see if they contain something to suit the Spider intake needs - 42" has been a pain.

I have found some converters,, including Sam, have found that the old distributor location is a good spot to plant the new coil pack

The EA81 coil pack location in Sam's job is pretty central and a bit easier on lead lengths. The EA82 dizzy causes bloody long leads for #1 and #3.
To fit the coil pack in this same spot for an EDIS conversion, does not get away from the long HT leads.

EDIS comes in EDIS4, EDIS6 and EDIS8 just not seen 6 and 8 in Australia yet, so not just a four banger ignition system.

So, these coils to suit come in 4 and 6 pack, the V8 doubling up, using two coil packs. Amazon were offering two coils in a package, got me thinking... maybe, what if, if can mount a coil 4 pack close to each head, run short leads ?

Have ordered coils and V8 lead set with ends already made to suit coil , cut down to suit desired lengths and fit easy to fit plug ends.
Seems brainstorming with Sam, we came up with same idea about same time. This way, 8 leads allows for errors or spare lead set

TBC

steptoe
Master Member

Re: Tutorial: Converting EA81 to EDIS

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:19 am

so much easier leaving password set into lappy :)

Got some part numbers n stuff to add as a bit of an update, though at time of writing I personally can't vouch for fit or work as I am relying on others - posts around the internet.

Pretty sure the EDIS4 modules I have are from 2002 Ford Focus and 2001 Ford Mondeo - all getting a bit thin on the ground.

I found someone's parts list quoting ignition coil as FD487 as one to get. If my understanding is correct this is type 1 that trigger wheels in the UK refer to and suggest and supply. I have looked into this one. Is a coil pack for a 4 cylinder. Three pin socket on it. coil,power,coil

FD487 only seems to have been fitted to AU 5.0 litre V8 1998-2000 and from what I can find , is a GOSS C190 or Fuelmiser and Delphi CC240
Each coil tower appears squashed with an exterior rib to lock the HT lead on.

Ordering from the US I have used a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6l V8 as the reference to get this squashed looking coil tower "type 1" coil
The V8 uses two 4 pot coils. A wide choice of brands over there too, found HITACHI [ A$57 plus GST] and HELLA [A$50 + GST] .

I chose HELLA, should possibly have gone HITACHI to be loyal :)
I also ordered the VR sensor for crank angle sensor CAS for same - hoping it all works in harmony.

Lead set for same V8 to get the correct fitting right angled coil end boots. An Australian option for leads source could also likely be the Ford AU 5.0l 98-2000

As for the other coil likely in Sam's project pics - it looks to be also in our Ford Focus of 2002 with a Fuelmiser packaged, Delphi labeled coil CC239, which correlates to being a GOSS C220. This , I think is "type 2" trigger wheels refers to, smoke stack smooth coil towers with a male centre pin.

I thought I might have been able to source locally, a lead set from a 2002 Focus, as Repco offered the squat, ribbed tower coil as an alternative, but ....

ever noticed some shop staff seem to dislike helping people work out part sources for projects? Unlike a hardware joint where you can go in and play with various bits n pieces like lego bricks to see what works - disturb nobody. The vibe and prices sort of drive me online and overseas.

I bought a trigger wheel from trigger wheels in the UK, recommended me to get the one with half inch hole, rather than their ring gear style.

An old machinist mechanic skimmed the rear pulley V down square and flush to take the ring gear he made out of the wheel.

Oddcomp from USMB wished he made his ring gear an interference fit rather than loose as each time he welded it and found development problems, loose fit was no longer his choice. It was his discovery of welding a trigger wheel to the outer damper of the EA82 turbo harmonic balancer was not a good idea as it started to slip on its hub - causing timing of CAS and missing tooth to go out. He had to cut his weld, re-align, weld n go gain.

Interference fit , loctite might mean no weld.

Using Sam, Oddcomp and a few other online experiences and that of my machinist - the trigger wheel attaches to the hub of the harmonic damper to avoid problems should damper outer balancer slip or fail. Using trigger on a rubber mount may also play with sensor gap between trigger teeth and CAS

Return to “EA Drivetrain”