Considering wheelbases in conversions

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

Considering wheelbases in conversions

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:57 am

just looking at wheelbase figures

having shoved L Series EA82 and its gearbox and tailshaft and diff into my 84 Brumby , I now look and see L Series wagon wheelbase is 2460mm. An 86 Brumby wheelbase figure obtained from same source is 2440mm.

Never found a need to shorten the tailshaft and it fits without needing to force anything. It is understande there is a certain amount of give of the tailshaft sliding on the output shaft. I am doubting the same could be done with EJ driveline see its wheelbase below, and figuring a tailshaft cut would be in order

Now, if I was think about *cough *cough and EJ driveline conversion with say a MY 2000 Forester 2.0 it has a posted wheelbase of 2525mm.

An EJ driveline conversion is different to the ordinary EJ engine only conversion. And think I can see why peps do engine only.

Might be time to do some conversion reads.
So, 2000MY Foz rear diffs are just bolt in are they with male stubs rather than female diffs ?

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Hub location relative to diff plays a part with the wheelbase differences.
L series control arms in a my crossmember move the wheel forward roughly 100mm due to the angle of the arms. There is roughly 50mm difference in control arm mount location between l & my crossmembers too, wheel opening in l series is further forward and diff shaped compared to my to accommodate the difference.
Now, say you plan on having to make a crossmember spacer to lower it and fit the ej under the bonnet. Build in 100mm setback in the spacer, you now have room for a stock ej radiator and fans, and the stock ej tailshaft now fits perfectly. (Custom centre bearing mount is needed for a 2 piece tailshaft anyway, as are gearbox crossmembers, so no extra work needed)
I'll get some photos when the rain stops.
Caveat emptor: haven't finished conversion or even started, let alone tested driving yet. But it measures up ok and test fitted well. Chassis rail needs clearance for the back of the heads and Trans tunnel is tight.

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Front clearance
Height clearance
Unfinished spacer and overkill cutting for "rust repairs"
Lack of room in tunnel. And temporary box mount out of 6mm plate and cut up auto crossmember.
Solution to tunnel issues and driveline angle that I'm not 100% happy with, also comes with built in Tailshaft mounts:

stenno

Post by stenno » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

The k headed 257 and 6 speed in the background may have played a part in the over kill / future proofing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:03 pm

Yes another conversion :twisted:

You're going the whole hog from what is seen of other threads...

I'll be watching/reading for sure!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 am

ah yes, the old EJ don't quite fit under the MY bonnet theory, something I did not discuss with the owner of a lower than standard Brumby with factory wheels and suspension who just had an EJ turbo stuffed in there and no tell tale inside ding marks on the bonnet.

Another thing about MY with EJ box, the front sway bar don't fit no more, but while Aus still has people with skills, new custom sway bars can be made

And yes, was thinking EJ vehickles had a centre bearing tailshaft

and what got me up on the 'net at 3am was thinking about clutch actuation. Thought I read only the pull type RS and wrx got fluid master cylinders and the rest cable? Suspect cable stopped with L and Vortex ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:49 am

Cable stopped with the gen I or gen IIs in the NA department. I know the gen I's are definitely cable.

And the MY auto sway bar apparently works with the EJ drivetrain as it's shaped differently.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

stenno

Post by stenno » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:24 pm

El_Freddo wrote:And the MY auto sway bar apparently works with the EJ drivetrain as it's shaped differently.

Can verify this, with MY control arms. Pity the bar is drinking straw thickness.

stenno

Post by stenno » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Side note, any of the single range boxes out of gc8 rx Impreza are cable, with wrx gears and ratios. Gen 2 liberty 2.5 single range too.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”