Looks like I need a catch can...

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Silverbullet

Looks like I need a catch can...

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:34 pm

Anybody got any suggestions? :)

Bit of a back story: I've had this problem in the ute ever since I put the Weber on and stopped using the factory air cleaner. When I coast down a hill of any duration, the engine starts burning oil. I know this because of the aerodynamic design flaw in the Brum where the exhaust gets sucked in through open windows when coasting down hills, I can smell the putrid stench of burning oil. After coasting down the long steep hill to work and stopping at lights down the bottom, when I go to move away again the guy behind me cops a cloud of blue/white smoke from my tailpipe :oops:

I always thought it was because my engine was wearing out and sucking oil through valve seals or past piston rings. Strangely, it stopped doing it this past week and I couldn't work out why. When I popped the bonnet to do my valve clearances today I found out; the PCV hose had popped off the crank case breather hoses.

So it looks like I need an oil catch can. Has anyone had luck with any particular design? links/info/pics would be appreciated. Obviously it will go on the breather pipe between the LH rocker cover and PCV valve, how complicated does it need to be on the inside?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 pm

I used one of these on my brumby.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1L-LITRE-BIL ... 1379464247

It worked a treat, I filled it with stainless steel pot scrubbers to catch the oil out of the breather hose.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 am

Hmmm, you may have hit my nail on the head with my newer Brum sharing its ails same as yours. A comp test reveals that the previous owner bought a reasonable engine some ten years ago and got to drive it some fifty kilometres before dealer incomplete repairs failed.

Engine has sat all that time, just with new stem seals when I did the head gaskets. Goes really well, 12 DBTDC with the twins feeding LPG into stock engine - accidentally did 120 in third on 175.70.13 RX rims yesterday. Down hill she sucks , from somewhere :(

Catch can must be kicking about somewhere .....

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”