EDIS on EA81 MegaJolt :evil:

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 am

uh oh ... sort of getting an impression this is a box of bits for the buyer to assemble :oops:

takes me back 25 years when I tried to make a jaycar electronic ignition kit - no worky, chucked it !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 am

EDIS 4 cylinder = 90deg before the missing tooth.
EDIS 6 = 60deg
EDIS 8 = 50deg

So what I did was mount the sensor how it will be when its finished, set the engine at #1 TDC (to the mm) Then get the trigger wheel, count the 9th tooth back from the missing one and put a center punch mark on it so no possible confusion. Then set it on the crank pulley with vice grips etc so your center pop mark is perfectly lined up with the sensor. Fiddle about for about 2 hours getting it central on the pulley, deciding you don't like it and starting again, worrying it will run out too far, until you're happy with it :) Then I just put a few light tacks on it with the MIG in 3 places so as not to melt through the thin wall of the V groove.

Well that's what I did anyway, hopefully it turned out alright :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:50 pm

In my case Jonno is doesnt matter a whole lot because I can set it in software, though its nice to not have the missing tooth on a TDC. The other thing to consider is that there is going to be electrical delay between the vr sensor picking up the signal and the spark actually firing in the cylinder. No doubt the megajolt will allow you to adjust this out. Gives you a bit of headroom to dodge the micron fairys. Also making your vr sensor adjustable will help too.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks Doug :)

for the trivia buffs the EA82 flywheel on the shed flor (taking up valuable sace :( ) has 116 teeth on the ring gear, so a flywheel crank sensor idea would be out. Sitting on the kitchen table the last month has been a solid EA82 crank puley. It was joined by a cam wheel last night. 36 teeth on the cam wheel could be handy, so too the fact the crank pulley bolt fits snugly through the cam wheel centre hole. A custom bolt, a spacer, a machined off toof and machined down cam wheel could just be morphed into a trigger wheel ....if the depth is enough to trigger a VR sensor

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

An interesting idea Jonno ;) What's the cam wheel made of? Important to note whatever the trigger wheel is, it needs to be ferrous (i.e not ally) to make a magnetic field happen in the VR sensor.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 29, 2016 12:58 pm

pressed ferrous stuff

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”