EDIS on EA81 MegaJolt :evil:

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

EDIS on EA81 MegaJolt :evil:

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:31 pm

OK, Ratcamper started a thread on this concept a long while ago...long thread and no result shared

Anyone else care to share something like this:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

maybe this works

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/megajolte/

link not work completely ??? takes to website, page not found

Ignition only so not an efi fuel requirement - do a carby or LPG fuelled EA81..

on an EA81 ? Who is gonna be the next one to tinker.

Sounds like Dougy has got some secret weapon under his bonnet along these lines ....

Looks affordable, tolerable, nice project if it all works up nice and programmable ignition mapping to suit current fuels

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:30 pm

I was looking at something like this not long ago, after installing the Weber and having constant pinging problems. I was looking at the MSD unit though, nearly got one until I saw how physically huge the MSD one was and didn't know where you'd install it. Could be a very beneficial system I think, with every EA81 I've driven/owned the biggest let down is the ignition. Always going wrong, the advance system is crap, pinging, caps and rotors failing etc etc.

Looks like that one uses a trigger wheel (?) on the crank and a sensor. The MSD one uses the original points or electronic trigger in the dizzy to tell the brain box when to fire the coil.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:20 am

Hmm, checked out their forum :) This thing is taking shape on a wide range of vehicles.

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewforum. ... &start=150

Looks like a spigot can be machined up or some other method to fit a trigger wheel to a crank pulley. Think I can see how peeps can get hooked on this concept.

Trigger wheels sell on ebay individually ....

Have you still got the ping issues Sam ? Now, I am curious as to what your cranking pressures are in the pinger.

I was stopped in a yard somewhereby a guy asking how old my Brumby was. Driving the middle aged one, could say had half the miles of the older one - only 410,000km. He knew of a fella near Cooma with 1.1 million on it same engine , extra head gasket :)

Wonder if yours pings at higher altitudes Sam ?

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 am

Here you go Jonno,

36-1 wheel. Audi VR sensor. Microsquirt ecu. The toothed wheel is just tack welded onto the pully in about 6 spots (its a ring wheel, not a full plate).

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 am

*Edit* I just wrote a whole bit about mounting a trigger wheel to the inside of the crank and Doug beats me to it with pics :p Can you still run all the fan belts with that setup? I might go this way with my twin port, find somewhere hidden to mount the brains.

As for the pinging yes, it still pings if I stomp on it hard to get away, or WOT. Very frustrating as WOT is where my Weber sounds/pulls best :( That is with the vac advance disconnected completely. If I run vac advance it pings when cruising at any speed/gear, timing seemed irrelevant and it didn't ping at WOT.
Also I don't think altitude was a factor, would do it down near sea level as much as up in the hills.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:35 am

Corr blimey, that looks techo yet simple - thanks Doug - heaps. Now we need some followers to do the job first..where is Tweetys dad ? He's an adventurous one :) What I'd love to see built in is coloured LED's that indicate all is good, or if no good, what bit needs swapping out .

Don't use all the glovebox space do you Sam?

That is where I planned to fit my 240V cappucino pump to run the fogger jets - four xmas's ago! Maybe 5 ???

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Dang I was hoping Doug made his ECU up :( but good to know that this is possible :)

I do know these systems are in use on EJ motors in VWs saves them running injection.

So they can run twin 45 downdraft webers. :)

The megajolt would use the same system.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:40 am

Nah was taking too much of my time up. Thought Id try this out an am pretty impressed with it.

EJ engines are even easier. They have a 6/7 cam sensor from factory.

You can use MS to drive coils from the existing distributor. Just means you have to lock the mechanical and vacuum advance mechanism. If you planned on using the rotor cap and button still you would need to make sure it was fazed right or you could get arking to the wrong cylinder. Also not as accurate because the crank speed, particually at low rpms, isnt constant.

I went with the trigger wheel because Its neat and no moving parts. The timing accuracy is pretty awesome too. Looks like the flywheel aint even turning. Not even half a mm of jitter.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Doug, source your bits new, used, US or OZ market ?

This could cause me to lose sleep for months now until I can afford a go at it :)

Need every bit of zing out of the LPG !

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm

I've heard good and bad about them not so good for injection but good / great for carby setups on motors without a dizzy.

widely available from the USA on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... rt&_sop=15

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Got most of the gear from diyautotune.com

The audi VR sensor ive had for a few years kicking around, the 5.125" trigger ring was from ebay, the sensors like MAP and IAT were in a harley throttle body I picked up for 100bucks. I also have a freescale 3 bar MAP sensor Ive had for years which would work just as well.

Injection seems fine to me Jules. I had it screaming on the beach the other day and It held lambda better then the carby ever did. Idles better too. I havent completely tuned the VE map so its still rich, uses a few litres more fuel then before.

I did actually damage the ecu when I first installed it. It has a circuit to pick up crank signal from the coil like a std tacho does. This lasted about 5 seconds. Luckily Im a PCB tech, so I pulled it apart, found the failed part and replaced it with something a little bit more beefy (was a 680R 1206 package resistor, replaced with a 1/4w leaded resistor) and it held up just fine after that.

Jonno, Probably a little bit too much coin for a spark only setup. If you went to LPG injection......would be sweet as! Maybe keep an eye on ebay and one will pop up second hand for cheap.

Regards

Doug

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:42 am

showthread.php?t=18929&highlight=edis

don't bother with above link - goes way off then drops off.....

busy reading all this....is the EA81 not too crude to get an advantage out of the EDIS idea ?
member since 10january2014 #6191

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:56 am

Donno, il find out.

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Digging up an old thread, just to let Jonno know, there is a megajolt ECM, trigger wheel and a pile of Ford EDIS bits heading my way :) So a year after your request you'll get a thread detailing how to convert an EA81 to distributor-less ignition and piss off the stock dizzy :twisted:

Looks like it should be a relatively simple job to setup and run, once the trigger wheel is mounted. Biggest problem so far has been sourcing the bits; From what I've found there were no 4 cylinder Fords delivered to AU market with the required EDIS control module :( Meaning having to source used parts from overseas which is pretty expensive. With that too if it ever goes kaput and leaves me stranded there's no wreckers yard in Australia that will have the bits I need :rolleyes: Might have to buy an extra module as a spare.

Watch this space ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 pm

will be watching eagerly ...shoot, nilly a year has passed ??

Been thinking (quietly) that EJ is the way to go - comes with its own EDIS conversion :)
also like the KISS principle the EA81 runs on at the moment and things are better now I got it off the 6 degree mark and bumped it to 16 ! :)

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 pm

How you going to mount the trigger wheel?
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Probably something like this, as pictured earlier in this thread. It will require some investigation but hopefully I can have it on the back side of the pulley with the sensor and still clear all the belts. If I can't have the sensor as pictured, well then the dizzy will be gone anyway so there should be plenty of room to have it pointing at the side of the trigger wheel instead of straight down.
Subydoug wrote: Image
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 am

No problems with belt clearances. You may need to sand down the engine casing so it doesnt rub. Also may have to be careful with position with the edis module, I dont know how sensitive they are to the missing tooth position. Mine could go pretty much anywhere so long as a TDC didnt correspond to the missing tooth gap.

Your other option SB is to make your toothed wheel fit inside the distributor. If you lock the distributor in the correct position you can still use the actual rotor and cap with a single coil for the stock look. Probably a touch more work then a trigger ring and batch fire coil and you will have slop in the distributor drive which will come out in the timing (not a problem at all, just wont be the pristine flywheel picture I get). If your keen to do the distributor method I have a spare dissy here Im happy to look into it and see if its even viable. It would need to have two missing teeth 180 degrees apart and it would be 72-2. Would also be a lot easier to get a cam signal for sequential injection.

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the post Doug! Haven't seen you around for a while :)

That's very good to know about the belts, I won't be able to test this for myself or mount up the sensor for some time yet. As for positioning, it says somewhere the missing tooth in relation to the sensor should be 90 deg before TDC on #1? or something like that, different for 4, 6 or 8 cyl engines. Shouldn't be too hard to set up, and I will try and build some adjustment into the mounting bracket if I can.

Thought about using the dizzy, I've got a couple lying around myself. But in the end I like this idea better :cool: Maybe I'll have room then for an L series style P/S pump, although I doubt it with twin carbs sitting there. I'm not going for fuel injection at this stage. I've ordered a Megajolt controller (I think you were using megasquirt?) which will only control wasted spark timing.

Looking forward to using modern coil packs and no more rotor buttons.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:14 pm

I keep an eye out but dont bother boring everyone with my dribble.

Yeah Mine is 89 or 88 point something. I had to set it in the software but it was ages ago. Vast amounts of room with the distributor gone, can have a party under the airbox now...well maybe a small party. I went the coil pack to get rid of the rotor assembly too.

Im actually using a Microsquirt. Uses MS2 code so its basically a megasquirt. Its a bit of a shame the Megajolt is limited to using the ford EDIS stuff. Im sure its good though. Electronic ignition timing was pretty much the best thing I did to my car as far as performance goes.....well, the most sensible at least :D. Now when I drive the vortex I feel like bashing my head against the steering wheel.

If you want some different shots of how the ring gear is mounted let me know. I need to pull the pulley off and check my oil pump isnt leaking anymore anyway.

Regards

Doug

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”