EDIS on EA81 MegaJolt :evil:

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:27 pm

How you going to mount the trigger wheel?
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Probably something like this, as pictured earlier in this thread. It will require some investigation but hopefully I can have it on the back side of the pulley with the sensor and still clear all the belts. If I can't have the sensor as pictured, well then the dizzy will be gone anyway so there should be plenty of room to have it pointing at the side of the trigger wheel instead of straight down.
Subydoug wrote: Image
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 am

No problems with belt clearances. You may need to sand down the engine casing so it doesnt rub. Also may have to be careful with position with the edis module, I dont know how sensitive they are to the missing tooth position. Mine could go pretty much anywhere so long as a TDC didnt correspond to the missing tooth gap.

Your other option SB is to make your toothed wheel fit inside the distributor. If you lock the distributor in the correct position you can still use the actual rotor and cap with a single coil for the stock look. Probably a touch more work then a trigger ring and batch fire coil and you will have slop in the distributor drive which will come out in the timing (not a problem at all, just wont be the pristine flywheel picture I get). If your keen to do the distributor method I have a spare dissy here Im happy to look into it and see if its even viable. It would need to have two missing teeth 180 degrees apart and it would be 72-2. Would also be a lot easier to get a cam signal for sequential injection.

Regards

Doug

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the post Doug! Haven't seen you around for a while :)

That's very good to know about the belts, I won't be able to test this for myself or mount up the sensor for some time yet. As for positioning, it says somewhere the missing tooth in relation to the sensor should be 90 deg before TDC on #1? or something like that, different for 4, 6 or 8 cyl engines. Shouldn't be too hard to set up, and I will try and build some adjustment into the mounting bracket if I can.

Thought about using the dizzy, I've got a couple lying around myself. But in the end I like this idea better :cool: Maybe I'll have room then for an L series style P/S pump, although I doubt it with twin carbs sitting there. I'm not going for fuel injection at this stage. I've ordered a Megajolt controller (I think you were using megasquirt?) which will only control wasted spark timing.

Looking forward to using modern coil packs and no more rotor buttons.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:14 pm

I keep an eye out but dont bother boring everyone with my dribble.

Yeah Mine is 89 or 88 point something. I had to set it in the software but it was ages ago. Vast amounts of room with the distributor gone, can have a party under the airbox now...well maybe a small party. I went the coil pack to get rid of the rotor assembly too.

Im actually using a Microsquirt. Uses MS2 code so its basically a megasquirt. Its a bit of a shame the Megajolt is limited to using the ford EDIS stuff. Im sure its good though. Electronic ignition timing was pretty much the best thing I did to my car as far as performance goes.....well, the most sensible at least :D. Now when I drive the vortex I feel like bashing my head against the steering wheel.

If you want some different shots of how the ring gear is mounted let me know. I need to pull the pulley off and check my oil pump isnt leaking anymore anyway.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 am

keep dribbling Dougy, I suspect many are reading and admiring your abilities :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:21 am

Silverbullet wrote:Digging up an old thread, just to let Jonno know, there is a megajolt ECM, trigger wheel and a pile of Ford EDIS bits heading my way :) So a year after your request you'll get a thread detailing how to convert an EA81 to distributor-less ignition and piss off the stock dizzy :twisted:

Looks like it should be a relatively simple job to setup and run, once the trigger wheel is mounted. Biggest problem so far has been sourcing the bits; From what I've found there were no 4 cylinder Fords delivered to AU market with the required EDIS control module :( Meaning having to source used parts from overseas which is pretty expensive. With that too if it ever goes kaput and leaves me stranded there's no wreckers yard in Australia that will have the bits I need :rolleyes: Might have to buy an extra module as a spare.

Watch this space ;)
Photos and details like part numbers , source vehicles etc so others may be able to quietly join the EDIS club or it never happened :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:56 pm

More pics are always good Doug, if and when you get in to check your oil pump. I ordered the same ring type and size that you used. It will be interesting lining it up concentric with the center and somewhere near the right position to tack it on, did you use any tricks to get this bit right?

Jonno, I'll detail everything I use when I make the thread about it. If there really are no cars in Aus with the required module you can buy the "kit" on ebay from US or UK as I did, it's just very expensive. You need the EDIS module + plug and a pigtail of wires to splice into which is the tricky part. The coil is a pretty standard part and the 2 wire sensor can be found separately. The "kit" I bought comes with everything pulled from a wreck somewhere in Cambridgeshire :eek:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:31 am

No special tools, just a keen eye. Used a set of verniers around the outside of the pulley, teeth to pulley distance. Tacked it on in two spots, put it on a spare engine I had sitting around an spun it to check the runout. Deeming it good enough I then proceeded to weld it on in about 6 or 7 spots with the tig. I ended up with about 0.2-0.3mm of runout which is absolutely fine in the scheme of things. If I was bad I would just mark the high teeth and file them down.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:09 am

Gonna bump this and use DIY EDIS, distributorless ignition as search words. Might have to put in diary for christmas pressie suggestion time :)

BUMP DIY DISTRIBUTORLESS

steptoe
Master Member

this forum is stil there !

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:16 am

steptoe wrote:Hmm, checked out their forum :) This thing is taking shape on a wide range of vehicles.

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewforum. ... &start=150

Looks like a spigot can be machined up or some other method to fit a trigger wheel to a crank pulley. Think I can see how peeps can get hooked on this concept.

Trigger wheels sell on ebay individually ....

Have you still got the ping issues Sam ? Now, I am curious as to what your cranking pressures are in the pinger.

I was stopped in a yard somewhereby a guy asking how old my Brumby was. Driving the middle aged one, could say had half the miles of the older one - only 410,000km. He knew of a fella near Cooma with 1.1 million on it same engine , extra head gasket :)

Wonder if yours pings at higher altitudes Sam ?
only found this thread by random search for EJ conversion. Bastard never showed up when I was searching for edis stuff several times

hence the bump

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:49 am

gonna add this page

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

good read, prints out nice in colour over 8 of A4 pages

whetting appetite :)

link works, just tested it.

Now, wonder if there is 72 teeth on an EA flywheel ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:23 am

If you removed a couple of teeth off the ring gear...well what's the worst that could happen? :rolleyes: starter might not be too happy but.

I had great success welding a ring shaped trigger wheel to the front of my crank pulley. Using a trigger wheel that was nearly the same diameter as the crank pulley, I clamped it on with vise grips, aligned the correct tooth to the sensor, felt and tapped it around on the edges to make sure they were all the same distance from the edge and tacked it on. Had a look while the engine was turning over last week and its got near zero run out :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:17 am

Sam, would it have been possible to turn out a recess on the pulley to take the 36-1 sensor wheel? I was thinking if it was a flywheel tooth job, maybe cut out half of required teeth opposite side to starting bash side - not counted the teeth yet. Be a good trivia question at a subie club night :)

Been reading about one of megas units, supplies a limp mode 10 degrees advance to coils if the EDIS unit should fail or disconect.

Swaying from EJ thoughts re sway bar ill fit being a con, alleged bonnet fit also, but then EJ come distributorless in our land :) and have more valves, torque , power I believe. My thinking is swaying towards the 50mm exhaust port EA82 mpfi heads and their pistons if they give higher compression.

EA81 heads are 40mm exhaust port. EA82 are mush quieter running HVLA, and with the turbo cams the EA82Mongrel of mine feels like it has a nice long torque curve even though it still does not really better the 17 seconds to 100 kph of the other EA81s

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:23 am

keeping it in here ..been reading an eight page print from megsquirtII, must be similar to megajolt.

Part of my curiosity is clearing up

a diagram indicates that the VR sensor (sorry any nube, that is the pick-up / sensor or Variable Reluctor) at the crank...lines up five teeth before the missing tooth position when engine at #1 TDC on an EDIS-8 (eight cylinders) set up.

The engine rotation is 360 degrees, divided by the 36 teeth positions, so each tooth is 10 degrees, so, on a V8 , the next pages discusses Specific Angle and the Specific Angle for the v8 is 50 degrees. The Specific Angle for a 4 pot is 90 degrees - shoot, does this make the answer for below 9 teeth ?

even though the diagram has an EDIS-4 in the loop diagram !

So, a question for Sam, Dougy and any other who knows and done it:

- is a four cylinder set up so at TDC #1, the missing tooth is still five teeth positions before crank sensor, or double because half as many pots as a 8 cylinder which would make it ten teeth? Or 2.5 teeth positions?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 am

uh oh ... sort of getting an impression this is a box of bits for the buyer to assemble :oops:

takes me back 25 years when I tried to make a jaycar electronic ignition kit - no worky, chucked it !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 am

EDIS 4 cylinder = 90deg before the missing tooth.
EDIS 6 = 60deg
EDIS 8 = 50deg

So what I did was mount the sensor how it will be when its finished, set the engine at #1 TDC (to the mm) Then get the trigger wheel, count the 9th tooth back from the missing one and put a center punch mark on it so no possible confusion. Then set it on the crank pulley with vice grips etc so your center pop mark is perfectly lined up with the sensor. Fiddle about for about 2 hours getting it central on the pulley, deciding you don't like it and starting again, worrying it will run out too far, until you're happy with it :) Then I just put a few light tacks on it with the MIG in 3 places so as not to melt through the thin wall of the V groove.

Well that's what I did anyway, hopefully it turned out alright :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:50 pm

In my case Jonno is doesnt matter a whole lot because I can set it in software, though its nice to not have the missing tooth on a TDC. The other thing to consider is that there is going to be electrical delay between the vr sensor picking up the signal and the spark actually firing in the cylinder. No doubt the megajolt will allow you to adjust this out. Gives you a bit of headroom to dodge the micron fairys. Also making your vr sensor adjustable will help too.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks Doug :)

for the trivia buffs the EA82 flywheel on the shed flor (taking up valuable sace :( ) has 116 teeth on the ring gear, so a flywheel crank sensor idea would be out. Sitting on the kitchen table the last month has been a solid EA82 crank puley. It was joined by a cam wheel last night. 36 teeth on the cam wheel could be handy, so too the fact the crank pulley bolt fits snugly through the cam wheel centre hole. A custom bolt, a spacer, a machined off toof and machined down cam wheel could just be morphed into a trigger wheel ....if the depth is enough to trigger a VR sensor

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

An interesting idea Jonno ;) What's the cam wheel made of? Important to note whatever the trigger wheel is, it needs to be ferrous (i.e not ally) to make a magnetic field happen in the VR sensor.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”