L series leone fwd auto to 4wd conversion question

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
L-nutter

L series leone fwd auto to 4wd conversion question

Post by L-nutter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 am

Hi All,
I'm looking at my options regarding trying to get a rust free fwd L series leone sedan and converting it to 4wd. I remember looking under the back of a 2wd and realise I will have to 'create' the rear diff hanger mounts, however does anyone know if the centre tail shaft mount bracket exists on the 2wd's?? I think this will be my biggest obstacle if there is nothing on the fwd versions!!
Thanks, Dougie

Bantum
General Member

Re : Searching ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 am

If you do a search for a 4wd one - the work is already done for you then ... :)

& If you do get a 2wd version it can be converted, just not sure if the mounting hardware will be there though ... :(

Cheers, Bantum ...

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks Bantum...as they're getting hard to find rust free, I'm looking at all the options. Especially a 'Granma's Car' which has been sitting in the garage and only to church on Sundays..will be the rust free by far, but most likely 2wd Auto :)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 pm

If you can find a rust free L series definitely grab it, 2wd or not.
It's quite easy to create the mountings needed for bolting in the 4x4 stuff. I haven't done it personally but used to go 4x4ing with old 4muff Brendan and he did it to his 2wd Leone sedan. Was done with some bits of scrap metal and basic tools - it cost basically nothing, and would have been stronger than an actual 4x4 model.

From what I remember it involved posting some flatbar with captive nuts welded to them down the chassis rails, accessible by taking the rear bumper off.
Some basic brackets were also needed to mount the centre bearing of the tailshaft.

It's a similar job on an MY series car - the purple famous "Hatchy" was done in a similar way by the original modifier Subarino Dave.

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks Andrew, That's what I was hoping to hear :)
Truth be told, I have an 86 RX Turbo which has a very good interior, but a shocking chassis - well beyond repair, so even though the VIN won't be original, I'm going to start looking for a doner chassis, but as with cars..the less rust you start with the better !!

Bantum
General Member

'85 Leone ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Here ya go :

Found here : http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mackay-4 ... 1061738040

Cheers, Bantum ...

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:32 am

I converted a 2WD Leone to AWD EJ20T, I cut a tail shaft mount bracketout of a rooted wagon (I took the rear diff, carrier and hubs etc from) but Like Andrew T said it would be easy enough to make.
Mounting the 4WD rear end is easy as the the mouning holes are already there throught the first sheet of metal, you just need to drill though the second layer and alse in the boot to get access to the bolt holes in the chassis rail.

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I happen to have an old L wagon for parts here too, so looks like i'll be leaning towards finding the cleanest L sedan sometime soon (so probably a FWD auto) and converting it over!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:11 pm

I converted a few back on the early 90's and I cut the centre bearing mounts out of a wreck and use Nutserts (for ease of install) in the rear but using the flatbar with welded nuts would probably be easier if you don't have access to a Nutsert tool.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”