L series ea82 box into ea81 brumby

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
MuZ

L series ea82 box into ea81 brumby

Post by MuZ » Wed May 07, 2014 8:09 am

I found a gearbox out of an ea82 L series for a good price (pretty sure these are 5 speed, correct me if I'm wrong) and was wondering if it would fit into a brumby fairly easily.

I'm confident the engine will bolt up to the ea81 fine but am unsure if the gear stick and 4wd engagement lever will be in the same spot and if the overall length of the box is the same so I know if I have to modify or replace the drive shaft.

Also was thinking of an EJ conversion down the road a bit. How do these gearboxes go with an ej20?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Brumby box will have 23 splines on the output, what about your box ? If from any mpfi will be 25 if from factory. Grab the L Series 2 piece tailshaft. Very minor cuts to get levers to clear hole in floor. Use all L levers, get an L console, get an L clutch pedal and cable, better still, the latest is get an L pedal box and extend top bracket to fit.The boxes don't mate up with EJ, unless you use the search funktion

preno

Post by preno » Wed May 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Have a read of this thread.

showthread.php?t=11821&highlight=speed

plenty of info.

Cheers,

Matt

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 pm

The L.Series gearbox comes in so many varieties, so depends what you got? They are all 5 Speed but in the 4WD models there are some single range and some dual range. Either of these will fit in the same. There is tail shaft modifying required and also some gear shifter work but these aren't too hard if you are good mechanics. I'd recommend using the L.Series clutch cable and strengthen the pedal box and fit the L.Series Clutch pedal.

If and when you change to EJ, then this box is tried and tested behind the EJ22 in many L.Series cars, so you won't have any issues behind the EJ20 unless you're talking turbo. Not that they aren't capable but the clutch is really what lets it down.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 9:04 am

steptoe wrote:Brumby box will have 23 splines on the output, what about your box ? If from any mpfi will be 25 if from factory.
huh?
The only 25 spline boxes I've seen were the turbo manual part time 4wd types.
All the turbo autos were still 23 spline (well all the boxes I've had over the years have), and certainly the NA versions never changed (the EFI doesn't have that much more grunt :p), and I've had both dual range & single range full-time 4wd turbo boxes which were both 23 spline.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm

All manual EA82 EFI (NA or Turbo) boxes in Aus had 25 splines and all Carby engines were 23 spline. You can spot them easily by the inner CV joint, the 23 spline has smooth surface on the outside of the cup and the 25 spline has groove lines on them. I've only had one EFI auto box from an 89 L.Series and this was the same. I cannot comment on the earlier EFI models as these were only available in the RX Turbo and I'm 99% sure these were only manual in Aus.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, I've had a dual-range full time 4wd box with centre diff lock (JDM) in the past. It came from a turbo. These only came in the series 2.
23 spline
I fitted that box to an 85 model manual touring wagon. The driveshafts fitted.
Although I swapped the shafts from the 85 JDM half cut I bought. turbo auto 3spd. They fitted (but had thicker shafts, which is why I used them).

Currently got a single range full time box with centre diff lock fitted to my carb touring wagon. I have a feeling that those shafts may not have fitted, cos I ended up buying new ones.

Off the top of my head, I can count 7 different manual boxes available in the L series (world-wide), with a corresponding differing number of front driveshaft variations :p

There's a manual EFI touring wagon at the wreckers. I'll check that on the weekend ;)
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 pm

My apologies for starting some BS - been brain-washed after talking to a CV shaft guy - he just differentiated the 25 splines as efi, 23 as carby. Given the small number of turbo auto L's about little wonder he didn't mention the 3 sp auto 4WD had 23 splines. I knew that coz my 5 sp DR manual was an easy swap - no CV's to stuff around with at the time !

My FWD EA82T Vortex wreck had ....shoot...there goes my memory ....let's just say it had 25 splines

and my 89 efi tourer wagon manual had 25...I can recall that much from further back than the Vortex !!

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 pm

I agree with RSR and I have in my wares:

S/R part time 5spd (23 spline carb)( 3.9 diff)
D/R part time 5spd (23, carb) the original from my wagon.
S/R Full time 5 spd (25, from AX7 vort)
D/R part time 5spd (25, from 89MY EFI touring wagon)
D/R Full time 5spd (25, from JDM now in my wagon) but being JDM is only 1.19 low.

The shifter setup between the AX7 and the other L series is a bit different, but nothing major.

If I had known MuZ you were looking at 5spd conversions I would have shown you the boxes and tailshaft/ drive shafts I have when you came up!

As for the auto boxes, cant comment.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 7:39 pm

FujiFan, do you know the source of the last gearbox you've listed?
Cos I know of others who've sourced boxes from Japan (in NA halfcuts) that had the 1.592 low range. So this suggests to me that the box you've listed is from a turbo.

I'm curious to check out about the NA EFI getting 25 splines. Seems a bit strange for me for Subaru to do that (but that shouldn't surprise me about Subaru :p)

I've only ever started with carb models & swapped in boxes.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 pm

wagonist wrote:Well, I've had a dual-range full time 4wd box with centre diff lock (JDM) in the past. It came from a turbo. These only came in the series 2.
23 spline
I fitted that box to an 85 model manual touring wagon. The driveshafts fitted.
Although I swapped the shafts from the 85 JDM half cut I bought. turbo auto 3spd. They fitted (but had thicker shafts, which is why I used them).

Currently got a single range full time box with centre diff lock fitted to my carb touring wagon. I have a feeling that those shafts may not have fitted, cos I ended up buying new ones.

Off the top of my head, I can count 7 different manual boxes available in the L series (world-wide), with a corresponding differing number of front driveshaft variations :p

There's a manual EFI touring wagon at the wreckers. I'll check that on the weekend ;)
Not sure what you mean by series 2 but both my 2 1985 RX Turbo sedans are EFI and are D/R PT4WD boxes with 25 spline. My 1986 RXII Turbo 3 door has D/R FT4WD with centre diff lock and this also has 25 spline CV Joints. I also have converted my 1989 EFI NA Touring Wagon with they 3 piece hybrid setup and this was also 25 spline.
wagonist wrote:FujiFan, do you know the source of the last gearbox you've listed?
Cos I know of others who've sourced boxes from Japan (in NA halfcuts) that had the 1.592 low range. So this suggests to me that the box you've listed is from a turbo.

I'm curious to check out about the NA EFI getting 25 splines. Seems a bit strange for me for Subaru to do that (but that shouldn't surprise me about Subaru :p)

I've only ever started with carb models & swapped in boxes.
I'm pretty sure that the D/R FT4WD boxes were only available in Turbo models and were only fitted with 1.19 low range

I can say 100% sure that my 1989 NA EFI Touring Wagon has 25 spline.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 10:09 pm

series 1: 84-87
series 2: 87-94 (the facelifted one with changed dashboard)

The problem is nowadays, who's to know what gearbox swaps & mods have been done...
I know lots in Qld who put 25 spline shafts into NA boxes when they wanted 3.9 diffs in turbo models.

Just need to make sure that the stuff matches :p

Please tell me about the RX II 3 door...
Especially as I've never heard of a series 1 RXII, I thought that was a series 2 thing. Ditto the dual range, full-time 4wd with diff lock
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu May 08, 2014 10:35 pm

FujiFan, do you know the source of the last gearbox you've listed?
Yes, SSS Automotive in Girraween. Got this box from them years ago with linkages, drive shafts etc. They go to Japan themselves and bring container loads of stuff at a time. Eventually I bought the matching disk brake rear end from them. All that is now in my 92 Enduro wagon. Is definitely the 1.19 low from turbo EA82, which for Japan at the time was the the norm - power/econ gearing like the old Mitsu hatchback Colts
I'm curious to check out about the NA EFI getting 25 splines.
The N/A EFI Touring wagon box is definitely 25 spline, I saw the whole vehicle it came from so I have the VIN on record.

I have Carb and turbo/na front shafts for these boxes too, so I confirm what fits.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 pm

If Paul is right and the CV inner cups with groves on the outer surface are for 25 spline then even my FWD 5spd man in my wedge is 25 spline.

Doug

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 pm

That's why I wanted to clarify. Your statement about being JDM, therefore 1.19 low range isn't correct.
Turbo boxes in the EA82, no matter which market, had the 1.19 low range.
NA still had 1.592 low range. Some markets might still have had the 1.19 low in NA.
Sorry, but I have an issue with people saying generalisations on forums. How can you say "that was the norm". Sure they got a lot more turbo cars, but so did the US...
The Colt & the Tercel were the only other 2 cars I can think of like that. And Mitsi changed it very quickly cos it was too confusing in a 2wd car. Ditto Toyota with the 2nd model Tercel.
The turbo box was built for rallying. The low range helped a bit with acceleration, but still had the legs to get a decent speed in top gear.

I got my single range full-time 4wd box from SSS. Actually quite rate them as I'd accidentally got a part time 4wd, single range box from them thinking it was the full-time 4wd box (you can tell from the linkage on the side of the centre "diff" as single range goes up, diff lock one goes down), and they still swapped it a year later when I figured it out.

Honestly, it could've happened that my first 85 touring wagon could've had a box change in it before I bought it (I did buy it as a repaired write off) which meant the shafts were already 25 spline, even tho it was carb.
I never counted them, just know that I seemed to end up mixing & matching shafts and gearboxes quite successfully :p
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Subydoug wrote:If Paul is right and the CV inner cups with groves on the outer surface are for 25 spline then even my FWD 5spd man in my wedge is 25 spline.

Doug
I daresay factory Subaru ones might have been like that. But who's to know what the aftermarket do.
And considering the way that these vehicles chew front CVs (Vortex less so), chances of finding one with the originals is .... :p

Just count them & be safe.
It's like checking the front diff on box by removing the sump plug. Better to be sure with 5 mins work than reply on a number stamped or stickered.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Fri May 09, 2014 3:00 am

That's why I wanted to clarify. Your statement about being JDM, therefore 1.19 low range isn't correct.
Turbo boxes in the EA82, no matter which market, had the 1.19 low range.
NA still had 1.592 low range. Some markets might still have had the 1.19 low in NA.
Sorry, but I have an issue with people saying generalisations on forums. How can you say "that was the norm".
I accept if I'm not correct, only going on what info and experience I have. I have made no claim to be an authority on the topic.
As for generalisations on forums, well that's what forums are about - sharing thoughts, views and ideas:)

My intention with posts on this thread was to actually make a helpful contribution with the author of this thread in mind- not to be lectured by a hijacker thankyou.

Back to topic....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 09, 2014 7:39 am

Surprised Paul didn't seem to know Series 1 and 2 of L Series ?? Maybe talking boxes and no differences in the 1 & 2 thing. The CV shaft guy who generalised the 25 spline as efi, 23 spline as carby , was on all counts of my experiences - correct, so long as you leave the 3 speed auto turbo box out of it. I am pretty sure I have some 25 spline shafts that came from an E4AT GLTA.

I was a little worried when I went 23 spline standard part time 4WD 5 speed behind my turbo EA82 - only due to all the talk in here....not had a problem in 96,000km.

Funny thing about Fuji sticking with 23 for carb, 25 for efi - mostly (all their turbos were efi ) Why not just upgrade them all to 25 ? They all have 25 splines in the diff end of the stub axles !

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 am

wagonist wrote:series 1: 84-87
series 2: 87-94 (the facelifted one with changed dashboard)
steptoe wrote:Surprised Paul didn't seem to know Series 1 and 2 of L Series ?? Maybe talking boxes and no differences in the 1 & 2 thing.
Yes I know the Updated models from 87 onwards but was thinking he must be talking something different as I've seen many 85-86 models in Japan with FT4WD boxes. Some single and some dual ranges and some of these had diff lock and some didn't.
wagonist wrote:Please tell me about the RX II 3 door...
Especially as I've never heard of a series 1 RXII, I thought that was a series 2 thing. Ditto the dual range, full-time 4wd with diff lock
I shall post up a thread about Sexy Rexy Two but she is the early model with the wiper control on the dash. She has the early EA82 EFI Turbo engine with flapper type Air Flow Metre. She is stock as a rock and has had no mods done to her. She comes with her standard D/R FT4WD with centre diff lock gearbox. Not sure of her ratio but I'm thinking from experience, it should be 3.7
Subydoug wrote:If Paul is right and the CV inner cups with groves on the outer surface are for 25 spline then even my FWD 5spd man in my wedge is 25 spline.

Doug
Yes Doug, your Vortex is EFI, so it will have 25 spline count on the gearbox outputs, even though it's only 2WD.
FujiFan wrote:As for generalisations on forums, well that's what forums are about - sharing thoughts, views and ideas:)
Amen
steptoe wrote:I was a little worried when I went 23 spline standard part time 4WD 5 speed behind my turbo EA82 - only due to all the talk in here....not had a problem in 96,000km.

Funny thing about Fuji sticking with 23 for carb, 25 for efi - mostly (all their turbos were efi ) Why not just upgrade them all to 25 ? They all have 25 splines in the diff end of the stub axles !
I've never seen a early 23 spline gearbox destroyed from an EA82T (or even EJ22 for that matter), so I'm sure you'll be fine Jonno.

FHI do this a lot, I think it's more of getting rid of old stock and once this runs out, they change over. I even have some EJ 2WD gearboxes with 23 spline

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri May 09, 2014 11:29 am

My original 1985 carby touring wagon was 23 spline.
Both my 1989 and 1988 MPFI non turbo touring wagons were both 25 spline.
All were 5speed part time dual range.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”