carby recondition or weber?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
calamity

carby recondition or weber?

Post by calamity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:37 pm

ok guys...need some help here....i can get my current carby completly cleaned and reconditioned to as new condition for $350 or i can buy a full brand new weber carby with parts to fit my engine fully for $590...my question is it the weber worth it? or should i just recondition my current carby?

what would performance boosts be like from each?
is it a noticable upgrade?

my car is 1984 touring wagon...ea-82 engine...

jims

Post by jims » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 am

Weber. I was in the same position. Spent money trying to fix the old carb but should have just bought the bullet earlier. Noticeable torque increase with the weber.

calamity

Post by calamity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:47 am

well due to picking up a 98 wrx on tuesday im going to be transplanting the engines over...the wrx is from the wreckers though...unsure of condition on it...but the wrecker bought it for $300 and i bought it for $1000 :/ (wrecker definently makes his money worth...) but i know the engine and wiring to suite is in perfect condition...

on another note...my friend wants to put the ea-82 from mine into the wrx just to try get it back on the road...and all i can think of is how funny thats gonna be...

also...ordered the webber carby kit yesterday....

can i ask though...is the addition of the webber to the ea 82 a really noticable difference? if it is i may stick to the stock engine to save the trouble of transplanting...

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 am

.......and how hard is installation please ?

(Also I don't like to see 'Redline' anywhere near anything. Is there another source ?)
1985 L Wagon DL. Carb. EA82. Stock.

calamity

Post by calamity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm

well this is the site i used....

http://www.weberperformance.com.au/inde ... qgqthjh1a4

hoping will arrive this week...will let know how it all goes...

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Good one. I bookmarked it.

Did you just go standard everything or did you get any "Carburettor Options" ?
1985 L Wagon DL. Carb. EA82. Stock.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:56 pm

This is where I got my Weber from

http://www.jameng.com/categories/Subaru/

Very reasonably priced and they come in a kit with the adapter plate. Postage rates to Australia are excellent and it arrived astonishingly quickly. I'm doing the conversion to my Brum as we speak and I'll make a tutorial when it's finished, although I'm using an EA82 intake manifold for the bigger intake hole. I had to buy the Redline EA82 adapter plate kit and you're right to be cautious of them this adapter plate was almost junk. But being the only one out there I had to use it (not before I fixed it slightly) More to come when I finish my conversion.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Weber for the win :)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

JP147

Post by JP147 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:38 pm

I am planning to buy one, do they really come with everything you need? Also, it looks to me like the fuel return port is blanked off. Is this a problem when using an electric fuel pump?

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”