EA81 with SPFI manifold to carbie advice

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Auto transaxle is out. Those unaware, the VW type 3 is a robust and durable unit. only a 3 speed but they can be 'tweeked' to reach say 115kph in second instead of 95. But they are 45 years old and its a good thing while its going to get it looked over including the torque converter. The axle is fine but if the whole thing is checked I'll feel,better.

when money permits. the engine will be first to be attacked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Tony, jut wondering if you considered to machine the manifold flat fill holes of studs , drill, tap to sit Weber on instead of adaptor route ? Maybe still need spacer to get clearance of Weber off manifold bits ?

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Good question jonno

so I had to attend he garage to remind me. I've got that 50amp chrome alternator remounted closer to the carbie. Add to that the 38/38 throttle lever gets too close to the dizzy top.

Even with the relative large adapter one of the throats needed to be machined in the adapter to angle the mixture southbound. Having thought about it more now I think its possible to do it all without an adapter but.....stuffing up the SPFI manifold wouldnt be good in the land of Oz eh.

Remember how the old vintage engine used to purr at idle due to their long/deep manifolds? maybe an advantage there with the adapter. Anyway, there was plenty of height above the engine of Tweety to mount a air filter cap and snorkel to fresh air ahead of one rear wheel. Both mixture screws are easy to get at and the idle. Those things would drive me nuts trying to adjust them if they were lower...even one inch lower. And you might be right, interference with the CV valve would be an issue. You can see the angle the adapter makes to level the carbie (and it still isnt real level!!)

The dapter cost $420. A mate of mine is an engineer and he spent all day on it. wasnt such an easy project he said and I believe him.

I recently adjusted the auto kickdown solonoid. it has transformed the trike. holds 2nd gear uphill till the flat road comes- perfect.

Getting a dyno this Friday in Shepparton. even more economy. hitting 30mpg without towing now. Exceeding my expectations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Hey Tony, thanks for a quick reply and lotsa words :) And pics ! Just been looking and cleaning up my latest spfi inlet - looked over at me 32/36 ..... hmmmm ???

When everyone goes smart TV and online to get their visual kicks n flicks, there will be some redundant DVD Hire Kiosks outside shops down the street - wouldn't ya love to see a 3D printer kisosk and a CNC Kiosk right next to it ??
Little further along I pulled out the CTS and it looks to be the perfect spot to fit a turbo coolant return line...more flippin' dreamin'

Real happy :) to hear your fuel use is improving and still before a dyno session - mine dropped with the spfi inlet, though get way variable numbers. Might need a Tambox Chune

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Changes made for more power were

timing up from 6 deg BTDC to 12 deg

Pltinum plug gap up from 32 thou to 38 thou . not willing to gamble any further.

Exhaust is black and rich at cruise but not too bad. When revving the engine black smoke is much worse and misses at medium to high revs.

Be good to get the oxy sensor on it and get it right.

The 38/38 carb is a beauty but is best for the auto trans needing low down torque. the 32/36 would be better with the manual.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”