EJ & AWD in MY - sway bar ???

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

EJ & AWD in MY - sway bar ???

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Think I learnt a long time ago that if you were going to EJ an MY with EJ AWD manual box the front factory sway bar of a manual will hit the AWD manual box - source may have been BVCP ? The fix is thought to be the front sway bar from an auto MY as the diversion in the middle for the box and exhaust is wider.

Does it have to be a 4WD auto sway bar or will a front wheel drive auto sway bar do same trick ?

I seem to recall that a FWD auto sway bar from an 84 sedan I had was a hollow pipe, not a solid bar.....
I have seen an EJ AWD auto Brumby with an EJ sourced front sway bar mounted up front and looked well done, and hard work.....

this is written in prep for the concept of EJ plus EJ AWD manual gearbox into an MY/Brumby body, not an EJ , EJ auto as Paul seems think I was asking :oops: me not clear once again

EDIT

showthread.php?t=6420&highlight=sway+auto

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 pm

I don't recall the MY auto sway bar being any different from the manual one :confused:

The only EJ engine and auto box I've seen is with spacer blocks (same as the lift kit) under the crossmembers.

I still have the car at the workshop and can take pics later if required
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:22 am

I remember reading somewhere that the AWD gearbox needs the EA Auto sway bar to clear the AWD manual box too. Dunno where I read it, but it was some time ago!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”