blow-off/ diverter valve EA82T :)

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

blow-off/ diverter valve EA82T :)

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not quite finished install but here is a pic of how it is going. There is LPG vapours in there so not wise to vent the excess pressure to atmosphere/ to tell the world it is turbo :)

* the Logpro silicone pipe with appendage cut down from the UK ~ $25
* Forge style valve from the US ~ $65
* alu tube donated by Dave the welder, huh, now he wants my garden edger !
* alu welding - used a postal service (not an official Aus Post agency offering just yet :) ) ~ parts swap
* narrow band clamp came from after hours search of a huge motor bike spares collection
* idea came from tambox - could be more trouble than led to believe ;)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 am

steptoe wrote:There is LPG vapours in there so not wise to vent the excess pressure to atmosphere/ to tell the world it is turbo :)
Not to also mention that it is illegal to have it venting to atmosphere :) I'm also wondering what turbo are you using and what is your planned boost pressure?

BTW.. she's looking good and I think this is the most I've seen of your GLTA
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am

Lets see if I've got this right...thats the converter on the left, coming from an intercooler (hidden) going to the intake plenum on the right. If thats correct, I dont get the BOV being plumbed back into the plenum...how does that release boost? It normally gets plumbed back into the intake pre-turbo (also helps keep the turbo spooled up with throttle lift off) :confused:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Lets see if I've got this right...thats the converter on the left, coming from an intercooler (hidden) going to the intake plenum on the right. If thats correct, I dont get the BOV being plumbed back into the plenum...how does that release boost? It normally gets plumbed back into the intake pre-turbo (also helps keep the turbo spooled up with throttle lift off) :confused:
No intercooler by the looks of it on this system, as the intercooler is designed to cool the charged air (compressed oxygen) from out of the turbo before it goes into the throttle body. The plumbed back BOV is designed like you say, to keep the turbo from reducing spooling time (Lag) and this is correctly setup on this EA82T. The LPG convertor is feeding the gas through the intake side of the turbo and the boosted air/gas through that pipe that says 'SUBARU' into the top of the throttle body. Jonno would have a air filter just prior to that gas mixer ( I hope :) )

Some pics a little further out would reveal more of his handy work :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Any reason you cant install the gas converter post turbo? I dont know much about gas systems, but if it has a pressure regulator, can it be referenced to the post turbo pressure so as boost pressure increases, so does the gas pressure so mixtures stay where they should
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 pm

IIRC you need a different mixer to have it post turbo.

Is there any issue with having the LPG added before the turbo?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:27 pm

I'm no expert either Gannon but from what I know about this system on Jonno's car, it's what they call the fogger system, which uses a convertor to turn the liquid gas into a vapour, then this goes into this mixer (prior to the turbo) at a low pressure. I wouldn't think you could put much boost against it.

On the other hand, you could go the injected system into the manifold or even the new liquid injection directly into the head.. which I like the best

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Gannon wrote:Any reason you cant install the gas converter post turbo? I dont know much about gas systems, but if it has a pressure regulator, can it be referenced to the post turbo pressure so as boost pressure increases, so does the gas pressure so mixtures stay where they should

err, you mean the mixer...just think of the converter is same function as that little pancake converter on ya gas bbq ...mixer does the job of a carby - easier to call it the gas carby to avoid confusion

No reason at all according to IMPCOs agents in two capital cities in eastern Australia, the IMPCO manual of the 80's and th odd genius engineer from IMPCO USA.....big but is I rigged it up as the mandatory turbo blows through mixer to find it was undriveable due to eratic intake pulses found on turboed 4 cylinder engines . Not a problem on NA 4's and LPG though!

So then tried set up as turbo draw through (as my guru told me:( ) and it is fine - means the converter does not cop the pressures either so no reinforcing girdle needed on it for the higher boost I am running

Eagle eyed Paul has it correct. I run a Holden air filter box from a V6, upside down, sits in the spare wheel well, feeds air directly to IMPCO 200 mixer, then onto the turbo (plain old IHI Paul) squirting up to 12psi (and only ever sets off the knock sensor high heat 93C &/or 36C day, high load, high revs)

As for mixtures, this IMPCO gear is so sweet and easy to adjust and stays stoich so bloody well without O2 Commander controller interference..... I use a balance line between the mixer and converter ports designed to assist.

Rising Sun Steve had an EA82T LPG and managed to resolve the eratic intake pulses of the turbo 4, with some natty little components added on here, boost enrichment solenoid but there is also a risk of boost pressure causing grief holding the diaphragm of the mixer up off its seat from memory.

My problem was I believe the turbo stalling when trying to urinate on the odd Bommodore and lose my sting :) and by the time the turbo spools up again.....got a bit wet from the bigger dog :p

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:12 pm

RSR 555 wrote:
On the other hand, you could go the injected system into the manifold or even the new liquid injection directly into the head.. which I like the best
And as Paul would know, being exposed to things going wrong with cars more often coz he is a mechanic at times, sort of artificially ramps up the reliability perception you get of some things/makes...seen too many injectors , computers, stepper motors fail. A mate went from smogger ring to the injectors, (that was a scary tuning session beside him - he shoulda been driving! actually he was :( ) upgraded injectors to quieter ones, killed a $600 computer, dropped an injector, killed another $600 computer, pi$$ed off all the clever stuff and went back to reliable fogger :)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Thats the problem with technology...as things get more complicated, there's more to go wrong. Usually more expensive to fix too :(

If I was to convert my Foz, I'd love to have LPG injection though. Havent heard of injection into the head (direct injection?), would be even better :mrgreen:

Looking good steptoe, but we need more pics!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 pm

steptoe wrote:Eagle eyed Paul has it correct. I run a Holden air filter box from a V6, upside down, sits in the spare wheel well, feeds air directly to IMPCO 200 mixer, then onto the turbo (plain old IHI Paul) squirting up to 12psi (and only ever sets off the knock sensor high heat 93C &/or 36C day, high load, high revs)
Ok, so the original hair dryer with 12psi and no TMIC? Lucky for the use of LPG but I'd look at a more efficient compressor.
steptoe wrote:As for mixtures, this IMPCO gear is so sweet and easy to adjust and stays stoich so bloody well without O2 Commander controller interference..... I use a balance line between the mixer and converter ports designed to assist.
The best thing is LPG burns 100% so very hard to get the stoich too wrong, only issue I've found is internal heat. I'd recommend a thermocouple in your exhaust headers and run a gauge on the dash. I also love ceramic coating on internal parts :)
steptoe wrote:My problem was I believe the turbo stalling when trying to urinate on the odd Bommodore and lose my sting :) and by the time the turbo spools up again.....got a bit wet from the bigger dog :p
I'd say this was more to do with Cubic Centimetres (lack of), 2V heads, Small Hair Dryer with old tech and maybe not enough RPM and Shift Speed ;)
steptoe wrote:And as Paul would know, being exposed to things going wrong with cars more often coz he is a mechanic at times, sort of artificially ramps up the reliability perception you get of some things/makes...seen too many injectors , computers, stepper motors fail. A mate went from smogger ring to the injectors, (that was a scary tuning session beside him - he shoulda been driving! actually he was :( ) upgraded injectors to quieter ones, killed a $600 computer, dropped an injector, killed another $600 computer, pi$$ed off all the clever stuff and went back to reliable fogger :)
Yes, I agree more electronics = more problems but I also like the power gains and fuel efficiency of injection. I have the early model gas injection on my Canyonero and would have this any day over the back firing fogger system.. I've seen too many cars burnt to the ground and even blown up in to pieces using the old system. I know this is due to maintenance (or lack off) that causes this but I'd still prefer to go the latest Liquid Inj.
NachaLuva wrote:Havent heard of injection into the head (direct injection?), would be even better :mrgreen:
Check out this site for more info...
http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/products ... ystem.html
NachaLuva wrote:Looking good steptoe, but we need more pics!
+1.. and hurry :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
IMPCO L size converter and IMPCO 200 mixer came from 4.1 litre Ford six so plenty of breathing capacity at the fuelling end. 3.8 litre air filter box with pink filter media seen at top of pic.

I keep good spark plugs and leads up to it for backfire prevention. I hear you Paul on a more efficient turbo but gotta draw the limit somewhere (but from the looks of it you no discovered that yet !) I tried to catch up with an L wagon EA82T with the TD04 dryer fitted - but considering the owners mechanic was driving it (fault looking I am sure) could not catch it :(

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 am

Do you have a bonnet scoop feeding you air box? What happens when it rains?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:05 am

Nice Steptoe!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Gannon wrote:Do you have a bonnet scoop feeding you air box? What happens when it rains?
Nope, got two 30mm holes drilled in sheet metal - aside from the air box, so any wet drops straight through and gets wet on the outside of course !! .....;)
Subydoug wrote:Nice Steptoe!
ta :)

How is that, did my first multiquote but cheated .....

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:29 pm

steptoe wrote:I keep good spark plugs and leads up to it for backfire prevention. I hear you Paul on a more efficient turbo but gotta draw the limit somewhere (but from the looks of it you no discovered that yet !) I tried to catch up with an L wagon EA82T with the TD04 dryer fitted - but considering the owners mechanic was driving it (fault looking I am sure) could not catch it :(
Main problem I found was tracking in the cap that caused it. 4 seperate coils sorted this problem though. Sounds exxy I know but in the long run, you'll save it, plus you get a much larger discharge and can get your compression ratio right up there.. and really get some bang for your buck !

Limits ! what limits? never live by limits I say.. all or nothing :)
Gannon wrote:Do you have a bonnet scoop feeding you air box? What happens when it rains?
I was thinking the same.. maybe he's been talking with Ken and now Jonno's going with the A9X reverse scoop with a black bonnet to boot

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Very nice :cool:

Now it all makes more sense lol :wink:

Arent you worried about not having a clamp on the BOV silicon pipe? Whats the little silver/blue thing left of the intake plenum up pipe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 pm

no clamps ? where ? Oh, see not finished ! Had to rush to send pics to the Aussie Post Welding Division :) I might actually leave the odd strategic clamp off in case of backfire !

The little blue and chrome doo dad is the thing that stopped my boost gauge quivering around 7 psi - a $30 turbo smart ? ball and spring boost adjuster - nip it up to 12 psi and and stops the 7 psi quiver :p

I've seen a vapour injection on a late 90's GT Foz set up by someone in th Blue Mountains - owner was very happy with it. Used to have pics on old PC

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:26 am

Oh.. forgot to mention yesterday.. I love the colour coded numbering system :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Oh.. forgot to mention yesterday.. I love the colour coded numbering system :)
Hadnt noticed that, on the dizzy. Very nice :wink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”