L Series EA82 Y pipe onto EA81 MY...done !

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

L Series EA82 Y pipe onto EA81 MY...done !

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:48 am

Finally, after over a year of this L Series mpfi Y pipe kicking about the place ....got it fitted into the Brumby.

An old hot up trick I read in here pre the 2006 blackout.

The ID of the genuine Brumby Y pipe at the engine end ~38mm , the ID of the 89 mpfi EA82 L Series Y pipe complete with cat and O2 sensor to play with later - ID at head ~44mm
Bolts up nice to later EA81 heads that HAVE - note this is an edit !! the cast iron pollution EGR fitting. The Y pipe is about 20mm longer in total yet bolts up at the tapered flange end, just pushing rest of exhaust along a bit, so some adjustment is needed, and also need to custom make a mounting bracket to sway bar or box.
I can notice improved light throttle response :) , and a bloody baffle rattle :(

Cheap and cheerful mod !

Now I have an EA81 cat Y pipe to kick about !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:08 pm

OK. This is definitely an improvement on the older narrower pipes. On a standing start and rip through the gears it is a crisper power delivery, more willing. It is not an aural improvement so not got more note out the tail to give me this impression - it is snappier.
Pulls up a mountain test strip better in much the same way as the light throttle response feels better.

It is a must do to fit an EA82 in an MY also me thinks.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:32 pm

steptoe wrote: It is a must do to fit an EA82 in an MY also me thinks.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Yeah, Im bias :rolleyes:.

Sounds good mate, may have to track one down for my old girl.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:15 pm

I should also include the past performances may not reflect future performances disclaimer as my engine is a little different as in it is only 30,000 km out fro a 40 though rebore rebuild, runs a 20/60 cam and an easy flowing fuel system with very minimal restrictions on the intake - LPG carby sitting atop a Lancer efi throttle body on the manifold centre

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Definitely a seat of the pants improvement, and when I whacked the near 300kg trailer on the back and took off this morning - Y E E SSSS !! Marked improvement in getting up to traffic speed and holding it - 100 kph and I gotta hold her back a bit !

Now wondering if I would gain more with a bigger exhaust beyone the Y pipe ???

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Did you bump up the static compression at all Jonno? Sounds interesting.....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 am

The rebuild used flat top pistons marked EA71/EA81 by TK or TiK ?and no idea what they did to static compression, just did what I did with my first EA81 rebuild - kept it simple and it worked.

This exhaust mod must have made a big difference if all of a sudden the Brumby with trailer has not only kept up with traffic it is also almost as if trailer is not there! I'm back to passing stuff on the roads ! All of a sudden I am considering not tearing it down to replace the 20/60 cam withthe 16/56 ! It HOOTS :D

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 am

What muffler you got on there jonno, standard one or a high flow noise machine?

I feel my muffler is probably the biggest restriction on my ea81 at the moment. Ive been thinking about cutting it open, removing all the crap inside it and setting it up like a motorcycle muffler. Single tube up the guts full of small holes and the surrounding area full of muffler packing. I emagine it would sound pretty nice and be very free flowing. Maybe a job for the weekend.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 am

:) just the bog standard quiet factory muffler , so I can control the noise , and it only comes from up front.......if I go with a new rear end lot of work it will be quiet as possible, big resonator then big bore muffler.

Doug, I reckon you will be better off trying the EA82 Y pipe first just to see. Think I have only pushed the restriction further away from the engine.

Curiously the EA82 is same cc, almost same power and torque output, yet they saw the need to up the engine pipe ID 6mm

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

Got any pictures to show us ?

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

I think they went bigger because of the higher redline of the ea82. I certainly drive my ea82 at higher revs. Shift a good 1500rpm higher then the ea81.

Mines a stock muff to. Il gut it this weekend and let you know what the butt Dyno thinks. Il do some flow comparisons for the whole exhaust.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Wouldn't waste yer time on a gutted muffler, the vibration resonance ticling yer arse will interfere with yer dyno judgement. Higher RPM , will give you that having seen my EA82T zip to 6000 and 6500 where as the EA81 - redlines at 4800 ?

Pictures Bantum?

This is a before shot :) , very appropriate as that trip return was spent begrudging the power loss, mutter, mutter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ajmcbrown may recognise the scenery.

Out and about today - I likened the power increase I got was similar to the loss I get with an empty trailer on the back. Hardly feel the trailer on the back since the cheap and cheerful performance enhancement

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Not gutting the muffler, turning it into a different type of muffler. Old thing is probably pretty rusted anyway. You'l see what I mean when I shoot some pics, though at the rate new things to do this weekend keep popping up Im probably going to hold off.....maybe. Im also nearly out of argon for the mig ;).

Brumby looking good.

Doug

ajcmbrown

Post by ajcmbrown » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Ok, Ok Steptoe, you have got me curious now..........where is that?

ajcmbrown

Post by ajcmbrown » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Clearview Road?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm

+ 1 like from here ...

Was hoping for a shot of the exhaust though ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

ajcmbrown

Post by ajcmbrown » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Ok, let's do a little detective work......the road surface, texture and colour is remarkably like the road I live on, as are the granite rocks, so could very well be local, the African lovegrass is about as dry (frost bitten) as it is on my property and is also confined to the Monaro/Snowy region I believe, similar terrain being undulating hills, I don't recognise the driveway, the Wattles are just coming into blossom in the photo just like here but I guess that's the same everywhere, I am seriously running out of clues now.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Any Alpaca farms / golf clubs nearby ?

or how about one of these :

Cheese, Bantum ...

ajcmbrown

Post by ajcmbrown » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Most certainly Alpaca farms but that could be anywhere on the east coast, no golf clubs though. And I gotta ask.....WTF is that?
Looks like a bird, could it be a bantum?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 pm

It's a Galah! :p Looking for somewhere to hide from the camera? :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”