Steptoes twin carb air filter box

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

Steptoes twin carb air filter box

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 am

May as well post mine up after Scoobymine did his Weber variant of the EA81 factory air box. Made this in 2001 and just got around to sharing the pics :D

Mine is for the twin carbs and used three air filter boxes to get all the bits I required for the lower main section - all riveted together pre blow torch welding by a mate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The lid got a cut out up top, home made replacement oval shape insert made from mild steel got spot welded in. Looking at it, I musta used a few lids too !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Finished in a Holden colour - Marina Blue care of Holts or Duplicolour spray cans

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:37 am

Looks great mate, the metal is pretty hard to weld eh? Blows holes if you're not careful.
What does the twin carbie set up go like, performance wise?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks. Maybe my mates sparrow poo welding skills aint that bad ! I think 'we' used coat hanger wire ?? Twins were kitted prior to use, then fitted to my 16/56 cammed 40 thou bored out EA81 - turned into into a monster with good fuel economy. Hauled arse up long inclines at indicated 140 with more breath to go, more pedal , just not enough driver dare and points :( sounded good tuning - the terrific snort of unmuffled carbs reminded me of twin carb 2.0 litre Kombis :D :D

Have since pulled its tonsils (venturi things) and floats out and run LPG through them

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Love the twins mate,
I used to own a 3.5 litre Rover V8, with twin SU's. I used to clean them on the kitchen table, and reset the piston. Never could get them really in tune. But that was just part of the fun owning an English car.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 pm

steptoe wrote:Twins were kitted prior to use, then fitted to my 16/56 cammed 40 thou bored out EA81 - turned into into a monster with good fuel economy. Hauled arse up long inclines at indicated 140 with more breath to go
I like what I'm reading here :wink:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Very nice :cool:

You must've had fun getting the filter box right...good job! Sounds like its a sweet setup ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:04 am

Thankfully was so far back the tears are forgotten it is Mark One also ! just brings back memories of wallet pain at the wrecker for the carbs and manifold missing the end throttle bracket, then asking for extra filter (extra notes) boxes coz no air box included and the carb rebuild was done in a 44 gallon drum with no one around, no phones, no internet either!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 pm

steptoe wrote:Have since pulled its tonsils (venturi things) and floats out and run LPG through them
:evil: Surely you could have made some sort of throttle body for it.
steptoe wrote:Thankfully was so far back the tears are forgotten it is Mark One also ! just brings back memories of wallet pain at the wrecker for the carbs and manifold missing the end throttle bracket, then asking for extra filter (extra notes) boxes coz no air box included and the carb rebuild was done in a 44 gallon drum with no one around, no phones, no internet either!
Sounds like some good old days then! Wreckers can be bastards when they want to be!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 pm

El_Freddo wrote::evil: Surely you could have made some sort of throttle body for it.
I did make a throttle body graft to EA81 carby inlet for the other ute and it snorts too, but it is bodgy with 20mm length of silicone hose holding two bits together with clamps - not my best but started out as temporary. The twins will take its place when the EA82 mongrel goes in to relieve the 500,000km EA81

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:24 pm

steptoe wrote:I did make a throttle body graft to EA81 carby inlet for the other ute and it snorts too, but it is bodgy with 20mm length of silicone hose holding two bits together with clamps - not my best but started out as temporary. The twins will take its place when the EA82 mongrel goes in to relieve the 500,000km EA81
All good things start out as temporary!

I asked as I felt it a bit of a waste of a set of twin carbs, but then I was thinking this morning that twin carbs aren't much good without the matching manifold...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Not a waste :D
Quad throttle quadrazontal with the secondaries linked up :evil:

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”