A very different Rear end

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
spike
General Member

A very different Rear end

Post by spike » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:32 pm

now that i have a little money to play around with (got paid for one of my jobs so am now set for a while)

Im going to try and build the ultimate L series rear diff, why??
WHY THE F*CK NOT!

custom folder steel housing, LSD (lockers are still the mecca as we all know and they wouldn't be to much of an advantage how i use my car) different CVs so custom shafts eventually.

Im hopefully going to start measuring tomorrow and playing around with my new CAD gear, if that fails Im going to do it the old way. A pencil and paper, and some trial and error.

Back to the why.
New employer possibility is looking to see what i can do, as i haven't got much big stuff here any more i figured id try and do this incorporating lots of different aspects on my new job.

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm

now doubt you will get it sorted, keep us up to date
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

awesome! another "I'm gonna" thread
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 pm

yeah most of mine are im gonna, but it sets the seed and most time somthings come out of it just not everything gets posted

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Mind the crappy photos, was meant to be down the shop but slept in and didnt want to take this on the train.
The diff is cast and gets all its strength from the webbing, mine will be fabricated and get most of its strength from the material while also incorporating some webbing of course. As to weight i dont know how i feel with this one, id like it to be lighter but i dont want to cause any weak points, we will see how we go and i might start drilling some of the webs i do.

The diff im using for mock up is basically one i got from another forum member when he closed down his collection, as to his name it escapes me but i dont think hes be around much lately.

I found of what this little white thing is =D took me ages to get it off by unscrewing it, thought it was just a really fine thread.... nope breather (face palm) ill put a barb attachment on the new one.

Basic measurements i probably need to copy

Ive never seen a side cover on an L blow so i might leave these as they are just because, if not ill make them sort of the same but slightly thinner and possibly much larger to facilitate inspection. Also this diff is dam heavy, so the more ally i put in it the better

Basic Rear shot with more measurements, Im going to copy the placement for the fill hole pretty much exactly, and maybe move the empty down lower, maybe underneath the unit

Side shot, with my crappy measurements on it

And the front shot showing nothing, Except the fact it isn't symmetrical, this will probably be the hardest thing to match.

Due to the fact it isn't symmetrical i may rectify this externally at least.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Why all this bother in a eco modded L-Series?
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 pm

spike wrote:Back to the why.
New employer possibility is looking to see what i can do, as i haven't got much big stuff here any more i figured id try and do this incorporating lots of different aspects on my new job.
Fair enough, but creating a new casing really seems to me to be a waste of time just to fit the stock diff in.

Why not do something really interesting such as building a casing to fit an IFS hilux diff in the rear. Advantage of this? Air locker option :twisted:

Just saying, but the title of "very different rear end" hasn't started with an indication of this :???:

I hope it does work out for you for your employer to check out and be impressed by it ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:28 am

El_Freddo wrote:Fair enough, but creating a new casing really seems to me to be a waste of time just to fit the stock diff in.

Why not do something really interesting such as building a casing to fit an IFS hilux diff in the rear. Advantage of this? Air locker option :twisted:

Just saying, but the title of "very different rear end" hasn't started with an indication of this :???:

I hope it does work out for you for your employer to check out and be impressed by it ;)

Cheers

Bennie

+1:grin::wink: to what bennie said. Make a casing that can hold a locker to suit in the L series and brumby:)...
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 am

Reason being i have the parts here, i don't want to spend money on so much stuff then not get the job. All the material will be coming from the shop as a write off so its not 'costing' me anything.
This one wont be run on the road car, probably the rally car or maybe the next monster we're looking at.

When i can find someone to design the locker i have a manufacturer lined up, spent some time looking for suppliers of various things for work and found a very large number of ARB gear sold out the back door of china.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:17 am

Also its not just the diff im going to work on.
The title refers to the CVS and drive as well but thats a secret for now.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”