VT calipers on my L series They are here to be fitted

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
subarursliberty

VT calipers on my L series They are here to be fitted

Post by subarursliberty » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Well my VT calipers have arrived for my Leone project. I have a quick question though. Do you guys think they will fit over a 30mm thick rotor instead of the standard 28mm thick rotor. I have measured the narrowest part where the disc goes and it 32mm. With 1mm either side to clear do you think it will be enough.
1992 Subaru Liberty Workshop Manual Complete
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... #post58409

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 pm

It could be, very hard to say though. There might be just that little bit of extra give in the pistons to allow it to happen, although speaking from experience if the rotor is even the tiniest bit too big its not going to work. And by tiniest I mean less than 1mm.

So you're using bog stock VT twin pots? Could you give some more details? I'm quite interested. I did a bit of research a couple of years ago (when I worked for a company that sold genuine Holden parts) and found a few Commodore - Subaru possibilities, for instance an Adventra / Crewman front hub will slide onto an MY outer CV (but fitting is damn near impossible).

The VT pads (DB1331's) are available in a squillion brands and types and they're beefy to boot, nice choice.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Yeah bog stock VT-currant calpiers. They are brand new but have been fitted to a car. They are the calipers off HSV's that have had the Brake upgrade option box ticked. Ebay is your friend here. $111 delivered to my door for the calipers and the lines, no pads.

Basically I was hoping to use the 01-currant STi (brembo) RDA slotted rotors and just make some mounts for the VT calipers. Other than that I will have to find a rotor with 28mm thinkness and get a custom alloy hat made up but this leads to expense.

I could just take 1mm off each pad if it was that close that would be no drama as its not an everyday car and replacement really wouldn't be an issue. Tell me the last time you were at a track day and used a full set of pads up.

I was surprised when I had them in my hand how big and chunky these things are. No wonder every man and his dog uses them. The size of the pad is huge as well. If these things don't pull it up there is only a few other options and thats 4 piston brembo's, willwoods of even 6 piston. Or I could just work out a way to put 2 VT calipers on each front wheel. :twisted:
1992 Subaru Liberty Workshop Manual Complete
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... #post58409

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”