Engines

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
ashman

Engines

Post by ashman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 1993 Subaru Brumby. In the near future I want to swap the engine over and give it something with ALOT more grunt.

1st - I am on P plates so therefore I cant have anything with a turbo charger.
2nd - I only can spend about $5000 - $7000 for the motor and instalation. I have no idea what to put in, how much instalation costs and do i need a running kit for the engine?

For arguments sake if i put in a forester engine wouild i need all the drive shaft and gearbox and all that stuff?

ANy suggestions?

Oh. And if you havent figured out I am not good with all this technical stuff. So please dont RAGE at me for not knowing.

Your help is much appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

From ASHMAN

H-top

Post by H-top » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Check fitting ej engines into my series
in the performance and conversions section
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Wow 5-7 grand ay. Just imagine what you could achieve with that if you can DIY as much as possible. Or the other way you could go is to pay some shyster to give you very little in return.
It would be really good to see a P plater spend his dough on a 93' Brumby with excellent results.
Whatever you do, research it properly. Can't w8 to c the results:)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Welcome to the board Ashman for between 5-7000 dollars there are a few good options.

Bennies conversion thread here

showthread.php?t=11733&highlight=conversion is well worth a read yes it is an EJ22 into and L series but It helped me quite a bit before I did my swap.

as did this thread

showthread.php?t=980&highlight=conversion

then there is my thread a bit of a spamfest :) (what can I say we like making fun of each other) but I did manage to highlight the best bits in the first post

showthread.php?t=15851&highlight=conversion

these 3 above I found just searching using the word conversion

and truely I don't believe you need a turbo in a brumby to make it fast

a turbo would make it incredibly fast :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

ashman

Post by ashman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the help. I take pride in the brumby. After the engine mod i want to fix all dints and do panel work.... and maybe some sweet rims.

But i do want my brumby to stand out from the crowd. And also to match all the other P platers in their commadores and falcons.

Although I already think the brumby has 10 times as much personality and head turning capabilities than a holden, I want the brumby to destroy!

H-top

Post by H-top » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Personally, I'd get all straight and comfortable with
a big brake kit before thinking about huge power.

Keenly watching mate
H-Top

rolling in

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 am

If you are a P plater, im pretty sure you are not allowed any modifications that give the car more grunt.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 am

yeah i was under the same impression of superoo

But
If you dont care, or im wrong
Then look in the threads, you best bet is to buy a wreck at auction youll get the bits you didnt expect. Id suggest building somthing with coil overs and big brakes first (if you ever want to impress somone come to a stop at traffic lights from warp speed) then if your allowed put an EJ25

ashman

Post by ashman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:11 pm

I am allowed to put a new engine in. I am just not allowed to put turbo chargers or other mods.

Hmm.... I think a break kit would seem logical, aswell as all the safety things that go with a big engine. Maybe some airbags and such.

I honestly didnt think of these things. It would be sensible to make my ride safer at the same time.

Thank you all for your input.

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

There is an unbelievable amount of complexity in an airbag
system. It's not something u fit.

Brake kit and 5 stud conversion and handling mods.

Power can come later.

Cheers
H-Top

rolling in

ashman

Post by ashman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh. I see.

Thanks. I am not (obviously) good with these things. Thats why I am trying to learn.

Thanks for your patience.

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:43 pm

It's ok mate, everyone on the forum started where u are!

Except not all with brumby's....I started with vortex's :)
H-Top

rolling in

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 pm

look into the ba humbugs of the Brumby handling issues before you go all out too. The way the underside of wheel turns in as if it wants to crumble. Some have fitted non engineered components from L Sres CV shafts middles for the extra length, lower control arms, modded cambe r bars and camry tie rod ends? raised suspension to clear the mods and they've allegedly been ball tearing handling changes

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 pm

G'day Ashman

No worries with this mod, PLENTY of info on it around the traps. The tried and tested setup is the EJ22 with an adaptor plate (can be made up DIY or purchased) with the stock gearbox - but you'll have to drive it gently. You can do the L series 5 speed conversion that will make it a better ride, but if you're going for performance and handling (most important IMO) you can't go past the EJ AWD gearbox behind the EJ engine.

As for the brakes as everyone's talked about you pretty much can't go wrong with the Crossbred conversion - well within your budget.

Learn what you're about to embark on and do it yourself! Huge learning curve to come but will be well worth it if you ask the sensible questions, and the naive ones too, do your research and take your time asking more questions along the way. If you can do this on your own you'll know your brumby's drivetrain inside out pretty much and if done right will save you a pot load of money on other things such as the rims (crossbred allows you to run any 5 stud subaru pattern - loads of factory rim options before you even begin to look at the aftermarket side of things!) or the body work.

I encourage you to learn what needs to be done and have a go at it yourself so that you know your vehicle and what goes into these things plus it will be much easier when you come to looking for parts at the shop. No use asking for a sensor in a brumby because the guy will tell you there are no sensors in a brumby other than the temp gauge's one - you need to know whats under the bonnet to get the correct parts.

Plus if you do the work yourself it'll be much more rewarding than having someone else do it.

And toonga - that means a lot mate! Its the whole reason why I wrote that thread in the first place, glad it was of some use :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

ashman

Post by ashman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Cheers guys,

My plans have changed ALOT due to all your input. I like all of your ideas and I think my eyes have been opened.

I plan to do alot more on my own now. The amount of money I can put towards extras will be phenominal.

I am sure I will keep you all updated as I progress. May take a few months to get going. (need to save the money first)

Just some questions for you all.

1. With an engine change.... Can I change the brakes, gearbox and all that stuff before the engine? (I am not familiar with the processes of an engine change) or would it be much easier to do it all at once?

2. aside from the gearbox and brakes, do I have to change anything else with the handeling side of things... like the driveshaft or anything....

3. I am assuming with the change of the brakes to the 5 stud I have to change my rims and tyres stright away? Yes? (Stupid question I pretty much know the answer but have to be sure)

As you can see I am trying to expand my knowledge and all that. I am trying to draw up a budget list and a game plan for the changeover.

Thank you for your time and patience.

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Ashman,

You're obviously keen at your young age, have you considered following a career path in the automotive industry?

Such as an apprentice motor mechanic?
Regards

Gary ;)

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 pm

ashman wrote:
1. With an engine change.... Can I change the brakes, gearbox and all that stuff before the engine? (I am not familiar with the processes of an engine change) or would it be much easier to do it all at once?.
BRILLIANT IDEA
although its harder to do it this way it is possible and IMHO is better, you learn about the better brakes and the gearbox earlier without all the power
ashman wrote: 2. aside from the gearbox and brakes, do I have to change anything else with the handeling side of things... like the driveshaft or anything....
driveshafts need to be modified to work with the gearbox and hubs/brakes/wheels depending on what combination you go with

ashman wrote: 3. I am assuming with the change of the brakes to the 5 stud I have to change my rims and tyres stright away? Yes? (Stupid question I pretty much know the answer but have to be sure)
yes you do, it gives you a bigger range of wheels technically you dont need to change tyres if they fit but yeah need new wheels

ashman

Post by ashman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 pm

littlewhiteute wrote:Ashman,

You're obviously keen at your young age, have you considered following a career path in the automotive industry?

Such as an apprentice motor mechanic?
I am very keen. But in my own eyes I feel as if I am just another idiot who wants to overpower his car.

Although I think I take way more pride and care for my car than the typical "wanker". My Brumby (as well as anyone elses) is such a unique car. I love it to bits and want it to be a champ on the streets!! (even though it is a champ already HAHA)

As much as I would love to I have just started a traineeship with a power company.

I have been looking at engines people. Very exited.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm

do a load of night classes and become what i refer to a lot of people on this forum as midnight mechanics, people like steptoe, AndrewT, frog (although i think he is a mechanic) Toonga and others (sorry if you feel like im leaving you out) they all know a lot of stuff, whether its about offroading, street performance or just general maintence these people know more than most mechanics.

I nearly started an apprentaship, did one week work expeirence, the first place i went i got paired up with an old guy whos been in the industry for 40 years. Told me somthing thats so dam true "dont become a mechanic cause its easy (it aint) or for the money (aint much in it), cause you want to help fix your car or your mums, become a mechanic because you want to learn and be the best"

another thing about life, if you want to do somthing you enjoy do it in your spare time, doing it for work makes it boring and repetetive.

now back to your car, a simple thing that I live by and people i really appreciate is built not bought. Take for example my LISA, most of its a challenge things people dont normally do or think is impossible such as my rear brakes, only 2 sets in the world and we built both, the strut brace only two of that exact type and i know even the factory rally ones werent that good.
build what you want, set your challenge and complete it, wanting so much power i dont see as a problem in some cases ( exeption is w@nkers in commodores or falcons who buy off the shelf stuff) as long as you know how to handle it

tex

Post by tex » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Make sure that you have someone on standby with mechanical knowledge and to start with And personally I've got the crossbred kit fit it in then you can get any EJ single cam engine and fit it later once you have all the wiring sorted and the ECU (Personally I'd grab the EJ16 off here as its almost ready to go and with an adapter kit from rising sun (he also sells them on Ebay)
it will almost bolt together. Then spend the rest on panel paint etc if you like you can put a turbo/bigger engine in later if you like.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”