Liberty Project

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
jimmeh14

Liberty Project

Post by jimmeh14 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey guys :)
After much hassle and many phone calls, it seems I am unable to sell my libby so i'm going for my second option and that's to bring some life back into her.

Currently its all stock except for a straight through exhaust and a k&n panel filter.
Engine has a nasty knock, no clue what it could be, and my steering wheel starts to shake like crazy going 100k+ even after wheel alignment.
My plan would be:
"New" engine, either an EJ22 or 25 with little k's
New gear box (currently FWD, worth going AWD?)
New drive shafts
Slotted rotors front and rear
Bigger brakes?
Extractors
New steering rack, pump, lines
New front suspension/hubs etc
Strip the interior, tighten down and reseal pretty much everything
Major body work with a possible new coat of paint

Any suggestions/comments? Please don't ridicule or say stupid comments, money isn't really an obstacle, it's more what's going to suit/work best and availability and since you guys know more about subi's then I do, i'll need as much help/suggestions as possible ;)

Jimmy :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 pm

I'd be looking at what's creating the shakes at speed. First of all look at replacing the ball joints, tie rod ends and all the bushes on the front end. Also check the steering knuckles aren't flogged out.

From there look at the performance upgrades. The Ej20 turbo would be a better option than a lower km EJ22 or EJ25. You could even go for the H6 conversion that makes for a very nice liberty - Venom can tell you more about that. His car was build by Al at AMauto in Qld up your way...

Or you could go a low km EJ22/EJ25 and supercharge it :twisted: Raptor do a kit for about 4+ G's, but I reckon there's a backyard way around that ;)

All the best with it. If you're going to go through with it try writing out or having some idea of where you want to go with this vehicle - what's its purpose in this build up?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

jimmeh14

Post by jimmeh14 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Yeah, I plan on changes all that, and probably getting nolathane bushes.

The only problem is that I can't drive turbos or supercharged cars as I'm on my Ps.
I was looking at maybe getting a H6 but that would mean I'd have to get the wiring loom done up and also dropping a H6 in would mean an AWD conversion.

I just want a reliable daily driver with that little bit of extra grunt over any old car.
When it gets started, i'll start a thread :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:46 pm

jimmeh14 wrote:Yeah, I plan on changes all that, and probably getting nolathane bushes.

The only problem is that I can't drive turbos or supercharged cars as I'm on my Ps.
I was looking at maybe getting a H6 but that would mean I'd have to get the wiring loom done up and also dropping a H6 in would mean an AWD conversion.

I just want a reliable daily driver with that little bit of extra grunt over any old car.
When it gets started, i'll start a thread :)
I don't think there would be much point in spending money on power upgrades if you're sticking with front wheel drive. Part of having a powerful car is to get all the power to the ground, traction is good for this and AWD gives the best traction of 4 wheels that anyone could ask for.

As for spicing things up with out wiring mods then there's really not much you can do other than cleaning up the intakes to make them smoother so it breathes easier. Then you can look at the exhaust etc. Other than that there's really no reason to spend money on this vehicle - wait till you're off your p's then drop in turbo AWD conversion. Any engine conversion from what you've got now will require a wiring loom to suit the new engine. The H6 is an awesome power upgrade, but I would strongly recommend an AWD setup with this donk.

Fix up what you've got, save you're pennies while you drive this then unleash some real power after you're off your P's.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:03 pm

I recently picked up a libbo and love it, what model and year is yours?

Your vibration is more than likely a wheel balance issue than anything else.

Im with El freddo, Awd would be my first priority for sure!

After fixing what is already broken, worn or leaking mate.

IMHO opinion nolathane are ratshite bushes, most bushes I
see are cracked and split after a short life particularly swaybar
drop links!
How much ads have you seen for nolathane? Why would a company
that is so good need to spend so much money on advertisement?

Take Redline Shockproof Gearbox Fluid for example, it's magical and leads of serious
people with cash use it, but you hardly see any adds?

Superpro bushes are my pick, besides, whiteline used to source
there bushes from superbro!

And they are, most importantly, a lovely shade of blue!

Just my 2 bob.

Where are you located mate?

Cheers,
Sam
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

jimmeh14

Post by jimmeh14 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:37 pm

El Freddo: My car already has a 2 1/4" straight through exhaust, cat back. I was thinking about getting a high flow cat and extractors but i'm not sure if it's worth the money.
When i'm off my P's, i'll most likely sell it and get one the same that's already AWD to save the trouble of the conversion. What would be better, an H6 or a turbo EJ20? And what about the legacy twin-turbo engines. are they any good?

H-top: Still have to get to the bottom of the shaking.
Thanks, like you said, i've seen plenty of nolathane bushes and was convinced, but if they really are bad i might look into the Superpro ones.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”