What front cv and sturts/springs to use with a crossbred 5 stud kit on a L series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
guyph_01

What front cv and sturts/springs to use with a crossbred 5 stud kit on a L series

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm closer now than ever in getting the 5 stud conversion. but i'm still unsure of the sturt/spring and cv issues when doing this conversion.
My car has a 3inch lift kit and uses the EA82 4WD gearbox.

My main questions are,
What sturt/spring should i use? I want to keep as must heigh as possible. Can't really afford coilovers. Would the impreza be too soft? should i use forster or outback ones? I have front kyb and 1 inch raised lovely springs in to compensate the weight of the engine and make the car look as high on the front and the rear. What to try and keep that same principle if possible.

And what must i do regarding the cv's? what type of cv shaft should i use to fit the Lib outer cv?

Also from the kit details it says i will need a "Brake master cylinder from an early Liberty or Impreza" Why? won't the brakes work as good without?
If i have to use a lib one, how hard is it to fit it? is it just a question of unbolting and bolting the new one in?

I have searched and found andrews post showthread.php?t=5023&highlight=crossbread but that was in 2007 and gave me some clues.

Hopefully after the 3 years gone by there's more info:)

Thx
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:31 pm

This is all very simple and straight forward - rest easy, I wouldn't be expecting to encounter any issues at all.

Struts/springs - I used Gen2 Outback struts with standard height springs. Outback struts are the tallest you can get. I bought brand new Outback KYB struts and new Kings springs for mine. Raised springs would be too much angle on the CV's and probably too hard to get your rear end to be high enough to match too. Note that Crossbred recommend using Impreza struts/springs for L series because they are narrow and fit in the strut towers easy. I fitted the Outback ones but beware, I needed to beat the inside of the strut towers out a fair bit with a gympie hammer. Rears you aren't changing to EJ based stuff, it's still L series, so just make sure it's some nice fresh KYB/kings.
ALSO NOTE - it turned out just as I had suspected in that other thread - the fact that I have 6" strut top extensions is mostly what saved me. I think you might have to beat your strut towers out quite abit more than I did to fit with only 3" extensions. It might not even be possible. You will have to test fit some standard Liberty struts/springs I think (they would be the same diameter as Outback ones). No doubt you have some of these lying around from a wreck...otherwise someone will.
Test and find out. You may have to stick with the Impreza struts/springs as per the Crossbred website's recommendation.

Front driveshafts - just use stock standard complete AWD liberty driveshafts, as it says on the Crossbred website.
Hopefully your gearbox has 25spline stub axels, otherwise you will have to mix/match to make up a frankenstein driveshaft with 23spline inner cups. This would be a head****, so I'd recommend getting Alan's CV joint to make them up for you - I know they definitely can, I'm going to need to have these in my wagon as I can't avoid it with my crazy plan.

Brake master cylinder - yes you should upgrade it to match the brakes, there is no reason not to. It's not 100% necessary but it has almost no cost and it will ensure the brakes are balanced and work as designed. The EJ master cylinder is a larger 1" bore. This is a 5 minute job + bleeding the brakes, it just bolts straight in. Just get one and bung it in. You can do this already with your standard L series brakes. If you get a master cylinder with too many outlets (some have an extra one that you don't need for L series) it's just a simple matter of screwing a blanking plug in, these cost a buck or two from a brake place.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Ok cool. Do you have any idea if i can get raised springs for the impreza? if i cant get the OB or lib struts in?

Hopefully i have a 25 spline gearbox
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:51 pm

De_Generate might know, he's built up an actual lifted Impreza so has probably looked into it, also there is another person with a green one on here, maybe more.
Have a look at the Kings Springs catalog, I think it's online. Or make a few calls to resellers tomorrow. You might not need them though.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Guyph - if your touring wagon was an MPFI you'll have the 25 spline diff stubs...

Also if you could let me know what your overall cost of this conversion is once its done it would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking down this path - not mainly for braking ability rather rim options of a standard offset! Crazy I know but I'd like to keep it all in the subi family and do it properly... I'm loving the standard offset look of the standard 13 inch rims on my subi - strange I know but that's how it is!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 am

Yeah its a touring wagon but i swapped the gearbox and i think its off a sportswagon:(
Its was Keffas old box.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 pm

It's probably possible to swap 25spline stubs in to the gearbox. Not sure how difficult or if it's actually possible but maybe Apline might know, he's a bit of a gearbox guru.
I would try to avoid running Frankenstein driveshafts, simply for redundancy - you wouldn't want to pay for a third custom "bits-a" shaft to keep in the boot as a spare on offroading trips for an emergency bush repair, easier to keep standard parts where you can.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:59 am

guy,

When you get the kit send me an email or PM as I have written up some instructions that make it a fair bit easier than the instructions that come with the kit.

cheers

p.s. you wont regret it!
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 pm

AndrewT wrote:It's probably possible to swap 25spline stubs in to the gearbox. Not sure how difficult or if it's actually possible but maybe Apline might know, he's a bit of a gearbox guru.
you can swap the stubs but im pretty sure the gearbox has to come apart to achieve this

there not the same as the rear diff
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 am

Hi subiie,
Thx i will pm you when i do get the kit:)

Ok so, Pretty sure i've got the sports wagon gearbox with 23splines. Since i don't want to remove the box to split it to replace the stubs, What are the cv options i have?

I don't mind building new shafts with inner L series cvs and outer Liberty cv's.
But is there a stock shaft i can use that will fit both? How and what parts must i use to achieve this.

Thx

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:14 pm

SUBIIE wrote:guy,

When you get the kit send me an email or PM as I have written up some instructions that make it a fair bit easier than the instructions that come with the kit.

cheers

p.s. you wont regret it!

Hi mate,

Following your post a while back, would you be able to send me the instructions you have written up?

Thx
Guy

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:50 pm

just a little hijack
Whats involved with the crossbred kit?? I know what you get out of it, 5 stud and all but what comes with it?

gymph if you cant get a second hand one and im not sure whether crossbred still make them, im sure we can organise making the bits you need

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 pm

http://www.crossbredperformance.com

All you need right there
Great to do business with
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:39 pm

spike wrote:just a little hijack
Whats involved with the crossbred kit?? I know what you get out of it, 5 stud and all but what comes with it?
How about you email Jeff at Crossbred and get the info from the horses mouth so to speak? Much more accurate that way...

Cheers

Bennie

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:51 pm

ahh ok if theyre still going im not to bothered
i dont want to get in on somone elses buisness, just the fact ive heard of 3 people this week chasing a second hand kit just got a little confusing as to why not run a brand new kit

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:57 pm

spike wrote:ahh ok if theyre still going im not to bothered
i dont want to get in on somone elses buisness, just the fact ive heard of 3 people this week chasing a second hand kit just got a little confusing as to why not run a brand new kit
Price. That's all it comes down to - good luck trying to find a second hand kit! You'd only find one if someone's wrecking a subi that had one fitted...

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:14 pm

yeah second hand will be very hard to find but if i don't ask and try i'll never get lucky:P
I've had some luck finding some cheap cars and parts:D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 pm

guyph_01 wrote: if i don't ask and try i'll never get lucky:P
Are we still taking Subarus?! :p

Sorry, really couldn't help myself with that comment!

Cheers

Bennie

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Guy!

I've decided that I'll probably do the crossbred conversion too after the EJ22 goes in next year.. Can you let me know when you are gonna send you stuff over and maybe we can do it at the same time?? reduce postage costs maybe??

cheers,
Wagonman

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”