V8 Conversion

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 pm

Outback bloke wrote:This is the original post. Must be some thing wrong with my eyesight, I can't see it written any-where asking for opinions on what you think of the idea.

Pointing out that it isn't viable is fine but bagging the bloke for asking is not on.
i was happy until the author of this thread bagged out subaru. putting a smiley face after your post doesnt make it okay.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm

I found the link for the V8 into the Rex. Its a long read but just shows how things can go bad...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... u-wrx.html
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Outback bloke wrote:This is the original post. Must be some thing wrong with my eyesight, I can't see it written any-where asking for opinions on what you think of the idea.

Pointing out that it isn't viable is fine but bagging the bloke for asking is not on.
Brett, please check all pages as we have all given opinions on the disadvantages of putting a V8 and keeping the 4WD system in place.
someguy wrote:Very well said.

I would love the idea of dropping one of my favourite engines (327 Small Block) into one of my favourite cars (L Series/Leone)

For me it would be like having the best of both worlds.

I know it would probably cost anywhere up to $35,000 to do but if I had the money I would

To answer the OP's question, sure it can be done, but be prepared to spend your life savings doing such a thing. Anything is possible if you have the $$$
I'm sure that we'd all love a thumping 427 Cobra Jet engine in our Subies but like you said it's just doesn't make money sense.
Keffa wrote:i was happy until the author of this thread bagged out subaru. putting a smiley face after your post doesnt make it okay.

alex
Here, Here.. We are just having a little fun and if people are getting upset they can just type it in a reply.

****TRUELY SORRY IF I HAVE OFFENDED THE ORIGINAL POSTER****
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Not a lot of room left in there

Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 am

Suparoo wrote:Not a lot of room left in there

Is that a Bugeye?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 am

I did see that every one was adding in an opinion on how things could or couldn't go. I just had to put a stop to the direction the thread was heading before it did start offending people. No apologies needed and nothing further required by any one in relation to that.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 am

i spy with my little eye, something beginning with T

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

32ford

Post by 32ford » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

well you can fit a chev in a datsun 1600, there are a few fourwheel drive hotrods around and I've seen a big block in a morris minor. the big problem I see with what you want to do is you still end up with an l series subaru.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I'll go back to my original point....these small cars that have the V8's in them....

Are they certified for road use or are we talking about a drag car...

If its a drag car, we can probably make up any chassis then put our small car body over the top. As long as we pass scrutineering at the track, build what you like. Road certified, we are highly restricted about how a car is modified and how far can we go..

I was at the Nostalgia meet at Willowbank drags last weekend and saw all sorts of combinations including a datto with a 283 chev V8, but no..not road certified..but nice though.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.

drof351

Post by drof351 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Anyone would think i've threatened to eat their first born. So much aggression. Thats fine you're a die hard subaru fan. I get it. I personally dont like the engines much and every one ive dealt with hasn't lasted. Except my current ea82 300000k weapon! Was a hypothetical question and it appears plenty of people are interested in it. Don't think a 2 litre turbo is the best 4wd engine. Preferably a torquey v8 or diesel for me. But that is just me. There was intention to hurt subaru's feelings! Anyone wanna fit a tamd volvo engine into an l series? Just not sure what to do with the salt water pump but imagine the torque curve :P

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm

drof351 wrote:Anyone would think i've threatened to eat their first born. So much aggression. Thats fine you're a die hard subaru fan. I get it. I personally dont like the engines much and every one ive dealt with hasn't lasted. Except my current ea82 300000k weapon! Was a hypothetical question and it appears plenty of people are interested in it. Don't think a 2 litre turbo is the best 4wd engine. Preferably a torquey v8 or diesel for me. But that is just me. There was intention to hurt subaru's feelings! Anyone wanna fit a tamd volvo engine into an l series? Just not sure what to do with the salt water pump but imagine the torque curve :P
Good reply. :cool:

Have you thought about an EG33?
3.3 litres, DOHC 179kW & 310Nm stock (from memory).
Or perhaps the lighter and EA gearbox compatible ER27?
Either motor would be an interesting packaging exercise but might give you the best off-idle torque you're going to get with an L series driveline and any hope of rego.
Settlement Creek Racing

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 pm

drof351 wrote:Anyone would think i've threatened to eat their first born. So much aggression. Thats fine you're a die hard subaru fan. I get it. I personally dont like the engines much and every one ive dealt with hasn't lasted. Except my current ea82 300000k weapon! Was a hypothetical question and it appears plenty of people are interested in it. Don't think a 2 litre turbo is the best 4wd engine. Preferably a torquey v8 or diesel for me. But that is just me. There was intention to hurt subaru's feelings! Anyone wanna fit a tamd volvo engine into an l series? Just not sure what to do with the salt water pump but imagine the torque curve :P
I really hope you meant "There was NO intention" or you will start a war :D

I'd love to see a V8 in a Subie before ever seeing a boat engine in one :sad:

Next time you have a silly idea like this, I'd suggest you wear your flameproof suit :D But please follow neil's advise and "do it" it would be awesome

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:08 pm

no aggression. the majority of my comments are light hearted.

what have you been doing to these motors for them not to last???

there are just many more viable options that will be cheaper and more powerful than an old v8.

ez30 with a blower for instance. or even the newer ej25 turbos. very good motor, they won motor of the year afew years ago.

edit: and dude, its a subaru forum full of subaru enthusiasts, dont come here flaming subaru and expect everyone to say nothing!

cheers

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

drof351

Post by drof351 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 am

[quote="RSR 555"]I really hope you meant "There was NO intention" or you will start a war :D

Yeah woops no intention. Sorry guys, thanks for the info anyway!! I may get around to it one day.

Prunes

Post by Prunes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Anyone with deep pockets?
The H1 V8 is a 2.8 (or new 3.0!) liter 32 valve V8 which weighs less than most 4 cylinder engines and is about the same size. The engine is ideally suited for track cars and other lightweight race or recreational vehicles which have been limited to 4 cylinder engines for size and weight reasons.
http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

I'm sure you could find a way to mount one of them in a subie without too much pain.
2002 Impreza GX Hatch: Dents, Scratches, Missing inside wheel arch, Barely attached front bumper.
1983 Brumby: Currently being rebuilt.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

nice little v8 if I had 27000 us to play with (not including shipping) I would shoe horn one of them into a brumby in the blink of a cheque book
H1 V8 pricing
2.8 liter V8, approximately 400 hp. Engine is inclusive of hardware as described below.... $27,700

· 6061-T6 Billet crankcase, sump, front cover and rear cover
· Reconditioned Suzuki parts- heads, cylinders and throttle bodies. Heads are reconditioned with ground valves and seat, and new seals. Cylinders are bored to 84mm and NSC plated.
· Billet crankshaft- 63mm stroke
· Engine mounted sensors
· H-beam 4340 billet connecting rods with ARP custom age bolts
· Starter and 55amp mini alternator
· 4 stage Pace or Aviaid dry sump 0il pump
· Small flywheel for 5.5” clutch or large flywheel for 7.25” clutch
· Custom rear engine adapter plate for popular gearboxes
· 40mm billet velocity stacks and adapter seals
· Test run engine
· Installation Manual* Technical support as required for successful installation and operation
· Box and skid as required for shipping

Popular options for H1V8 (other options are available)....

Ø 67mm stroke crankshaft upgrade 3.0 liter version of engine and related modifications to deck height and cam chains...$1,200
Ø DTA engine management system with software and connector kit…$1,800
Ø Programming of screens and integration of X-Dash unit …$150
Ø Performance modifications (cams and CNC ported heads) …POR
TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Prunes

Post by Prunes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Its actually based off two Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R motors with a new block in a V configuration.
2002 Impreza GX Hatch: Dents, Scratches, Missing inside wheel arch, Barely attached front bumper.
1983 Brumby: Currently being rebuilt.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm

mmmm when we get our new cnc mill jeez where gonna have so much fun, i reacon i could make them pretty quickly.
somone buy somthing off us so we can get it lol

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:22 pm

drof351, Mate..I'm old school. I was running around in the 70's with my V8 torana and owned a 327 chev ski boat. I know where you're coming from and don't worry, the thought has crossed my mind a few times. The thing is, there is not a suitable donor engine out there at the moment. I'm up to a challenge but unless it is a viable project and can be used on the road, it is no good to me.

I discussed this a few weeks ago with my eldest son who is a mazda rotary nut but also a very good fitter and turner and parts fabricator. It makes for interesting what ifs .???

I'm not down on subaru, not at all...(I own two brumbies) but sometimes it would be nice to have something that is different and unique. Also...an engine that I understand better would be a bonus. I have an ea82T in a brumby and it flies, but there are also issues with the engine that have been fairly well canvassed on other posts on this forum. It would be nice to lift the bonnet and look at an engine that I could say, well I built that and its a different sort of a motor car.

However as I said earlier, at the moment, if an EJ20T popped its head up at the right price, I would probably go that way looking at an engine that I would rebuild long term whilst the EA82T continued on. And also a fairly straight forward engine change over as such..(Because its been done before)

You only posted what no doubt a lot of others have thought about and discussed in the shed with their mates over a coldie...(as I said, what ifs and what do you reckon about this??? )

Good luck to you..

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 am

spike wrote:mmmm when we get our new cnc mill jeez where gonna have so much fun, i reacon i could make them pretty quickly.
somone buy somthing off us so we can get it lol
Hey 5 axis or 3 ?? DMG, Mazak, Mori ?? What ya gettin?
Let me sell you a Wire edm to go with it THEN the fun would start ! (Sodick of course! the best)
I have a customer in York who makes V8's for a race team - Like the only bits they dont do are the crank, cams and pistons and shells/bearings.
They only make 30 per year - they cost as much as a small Atom bomb each!
Like 100K GBP !!!! ('kin 'ell)

Love having a nose around when I'm there !:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”