Brumby engine upgrade! Suggestions wanted

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
scoobymine

Brumby engine upgrade! Suggestions wanted

Post by scoobymine » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi,

My 83 Brumby is stock standard, but I would like to upgrade the engine. I've heard some theories, but would like the best advice.
I would want it to be something that would drop straight in, hopefully using the existing gearbox, non turbo, but fuel injected, and using my own mechanical knowledge, hopefully it can be a DIY
Are there major wiring harness changes? Is the impreza motor suitable, and roughly how much would I pay for one? And what year?
Also, would I have to convert rear brakes to discs?
I've just finished some major front end work, and a BIG rust job, but apart from that she's a beauty. Everywhere I go in town (Busselton W.A) someone comments or offers to buy her.
Some bloke even had the cheek to offer his Hyundai for it (yeh right)rolleyes:

All suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 pm

I would recomend the EJ20 or the EJ22 they are EFI and will almost double the horsepower of the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 pm

there has been many posts about this subject, Most go for the EJ22 or EJ20 with a 5 speed L series gear box. Im in the process of converting a brumby with a EJ22 and 5sp L gearbox. Any advice or help you need to hesitate.

Guy
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 pm

yep, as mentioned, EJ22 is very suitable for you. EJ20 from a later model probably a better idea these days, the 22's are all getting old now.
Yes there is a major wiring harness "change". The donor car's whole wiring harness needs to have all unnecessary components chopped out and modified so it just has the essentials to run the motor and thermo fans, fuel pump etc. Fitting the harness to the car is pretty minimal excercise tho. Most people sort the mechanicals at home, but wiring harness usually needs a pro to do, it's pretty complex.
Plenty of threads with great info, do a few searches. Quite a few buildups are well documented.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 am

Some, including El Freddo are likely to add 'speak to an engineer who will certify your work to keep it legal for rego and insurance purposes first' before doing too much. Ask them what you can and cannot do coz ultimately it is up to them.

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks everyone. Can you give me a little more info on the EJ 20. What vehicle is it from?
Does it fit the standard gearbox?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 am

None of the EJ engines fit the standard gearbox, however it's just a matter of using a simple adaptor plate. These are just a hunk of metal made from 12mm thick aluminium or steel cut to the right shape with some holes drilled and tapped. It's quite easy to make an Aluminium one at home.
n/a EJ20 sohc can be found in some Imprezas and Foresters.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 am

cheapest way to get the bits needed is to buy a whole wreck from pickles or fowles auctions (both have online catalogues) and remove the bits you need and sell the bits you dont. i paid 1400 for a written off my99 wrx with service history and 140k on clock. single cammer are cheaper still. i have engineer too, he is around $400 for all you need.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”