Power Steering

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
masaloi

Power Steering

Post by masaloi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 pm

I have recently purchased a 1991 Brumby Ute EA81 GL.
I would like to install power steering as I understand this is a possibility.

Has anyone had any experience with such a conversion?
If so are you able to provide instructions.

I understand that there are a couple of options and there is one that is a relatively simple bolt in one..presumably out of a MY model..though I'm not familiar with that term or anything to do with Subarus...but I am now on this new learning curve. I'm not a youngun...73 and find without Power Steer it can be pretty hard at times.

Thanks for your help.
masaloi

coxy

power steering for a Brumby

Post by coxy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:45 pm

From what I have been able to gather you will need the rack all hoses and pump with brackets and reservoir from any MY series vehicle such as the wagons or sedans which are more common fitted with the same EA81 pushrod motor as your Brumby.What is required though is the Engine crossmember.
The crossmember can be swapped out without removing the motor though by either supporting it with a stout piece of timber or metal.
Another option is the special tool to support front wheel drive engines when replacing a clutch.Most of the east west style FWD vehicles need the engine supported so the gearbox can be removed to do a clutch,some better auto parts places hire these tools.
Then by unbolting the crossmember and the inner track control lower arms and steering shaft connections and tie rods just drop the whole assembly out and replace with the assembled power steering crossmember.
On some EA 81 engines you will have to tap the threads for the power steer pump brackets,though the required mounting boss casting is already in situ.
Hope this is of some assistence I have yet to source the bits and do that conversion to mine but being a mechanic understabd what is needed.
Cheers Steve

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey Mate, It is easy really . There are two ways to go about it. Park nose to nose with a 83 M.Y. touring wagon and take note of the differences. Or as you are on the sunshine coast, drive about a hour north and chat with us , if not get it fitted by us. IF you need to know more , P.M. me and i will give you my mobile number.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”