MODIFICATION guidelines .gov.au link

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 pm

NSW are not following the NCOP, but will allow modifications that follow NCOP (or specifically Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 - VSB14) :

CODE OF PRACTICE FOR LIGHT VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS
Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) No.14 National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification outlines the minimum design, construction, installation and performance requirements for modifications to light vehicles, for building individually constructed vehicles (ICVs) and for the certification of certain imported vehicles. Following the guidance provided in VSB 14 will help ensure that work undertaken will meet the standards set down in NSW regulations. Most of the modifications listed in the Order have corresponding practical guidance in VSB No.14.

The above quote was taken from NSW's own Vehicle Standards Information (VSI 6) which is theitr guidelines. It can be found here : http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... i/vsi6.pdf

SA are the only other state not following the NCOP - they are an unbelievably hard place for modified vehicles from what I have read :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Thinkin' of Gannon and his hopes to rock up for a blue slip on his once 1800cc turbo RX with now 2000cc turbo EJ with EJ brakes and suspension. Depends on the interpreation of the rules by the auvis inspector, but looks like the power is up by more than 15% for owner certified, and the brakes and suspension will need an engineer to sign off on it.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Doesn't matter about % power increase - he has changed engine type (EA to EJ) so it must be engineered.

Basically if it is not a factory option engine then it must be engineered.

The % power allowance only applies if you put a bigger engine from the same family into a car that didn't have it as an option. EG: Putting EZ36 motor into a Liberty that only came with an EZ30 - as long as the EZ36 produces less than 120% of the EZ30 power then it does not have to be engineered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 04, 2014 12:03 am

Oh no! does that mean if my twin port EA81 makes more than 15% more power than a stock EA81 I need to get it engineered!? :cry:

Fat chance of that happening :rolleyes:

Oh but you said SA is the only state that doesn't follow the NCOP rules? We probably have some even more mind bending, confusing and anti-intuitive regulations with each patrol cop having his own opinion of them.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 am

tambox wrote:Glad I live in Victoria, its all in black and white, including the word "equivalent", which makes it as clear as mud, but if you are a good talker.....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ations.htm
According to that, in Vic you're only allowed "Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle" :( So for my Foz, I can only have a EJ20 or EJ20T, not an EJ22
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun May 04, 2014 1:51 am

As far as I understand Victoria also use the NCOP so you can definitely put an EJ20T or EJ25T (Forester came out with EJ25T didn't they ?) since they were a factory option.

And since an EJ20T puts out 150kw and EJ22 only puts out 100kw (or thereabouts) you can still put one in since they have less than 120% more power than the EJ20T - in fact they only have 66% of the power :)

Even without the Forester having a turbo motor as an option the EJ22 would still be allowed since (I assume) it doesn't put out more than 120% of the power of an EJ20. You may run into trouble with the emissions though unless the EJ22 will run on the standard Foz ECU ??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun May 04, 2014 1:57 am

Silverbullet wrote:Oh no! does that mean if my twin port EA81 makes more than 15% more power than a stock EA81 I need to get it engineered!? :cry:

Fat chance of that happening :rolleyes:

Oh but you said SA is the only state that doesn't follow the NCOP rules? We probably have some even more mind bending, confusing and anti-intuitive regulations with each patrol cop having his own opinion of them.
Yes it will need engineering - except only if it is 20% more powerful*

As for SA - your on your own there !!

*previous posts updated to reflect the 20% law, not 15% - my bad :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 04, 2014 2:42 pm

niterida wrote:As far as I understand Victoria also use the NCOP so you can definitely put an EJ20T or EJ25T (Forester came out with EJ25T didn't they ?) since they were a factory option.
The engine had to be an option in that model. Does that mean all Foresters or that model of Forester, ie, SF Foz?
Even without the Forester having a turbo motor as an option the EJ22 would still be allowed since (I assume) it doesn't put out more than 120% of the power of an EJ20. You may run into trouble with the emissions though unless the EJ22 will run on the standard Foz ECU ??
Yep, def below 120%. EJ22 can easily run on standard ECU, even a EJ25 can by upgrading the injectors (Taza is doing this)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 pm

NachaLuva wrote:The engine had to be an option in that model. Does that mean all Foresters or that model of Forester, ie, SF Foz?
Yeah would have to be that model designation - EZ30 was an option in Gen 3 (BH) Liberty but you can't put it in a Gen 2 Liberty (BG) without engineering approval.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

OK so that would limit me to the EJ22 as it is still within 120% of the EJ20
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Whats the power of the EJ20 in the Foz ? if it is 104kw then you can put an EJ25 in since they are only 125kw.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:00 pm

just in case it is not found elsewhere in here...

NSW RMS stuff

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/bus ... ifiers.pdf

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”