MODIFICATION guidelines .gov.au link

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

MODIFICATION guidelines .gov.au link

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:34 pm

can someone make this sticky please
it is about 500KB in size and a good read.I found it mentioned in a recent motor mag when they did their Volden V8 Volvo, Souper Bug and something else...RX7 projects

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... eb2006.pdf

no longer takes me there :(

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:24 pm

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Interesting read.. most knew about it as I've registered many cars over the years... but there is some good points there..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

chook69

Post by chook69 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:04 pm

hi guys! :confused:

well, i bent up my inner lips on the top rear wheel archers on my liberty to stop my tyres from being cut away, there only a 205/55R15 size tyres.. so dose that come under the> MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION= (inner mudguard modifications) or the> MODIFICATION AND CONSTRUCTION REQUIRING CERTIFICATION UNDER LH APPROVAL CODES= ( constrution of a vehicle by extending or reducing the wheelbase e.g. stretched limousine) ???????

anyone got any info about that!!!!

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 pm

I'll assume you mean the outer lips of your rear wheel arches (plural of arch, note spelling).

Everybody these days rolls up guard lips for some reason to stop rubbing.

What you have to be wary of is if you had to do this, you a have a combination of rim/tyre and suspension ride height which is the root cause for your concern.

The authorities will pin you for incorrect offset wheels or ride height lower than minimum allowed before lips rolled up.
Regards

Gary ;)

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 am

I just tried to call the Engineering company I use in Newcastle NSW for vehicle mods (lift kits etc) and ended up with a phone message stating the business is not open as there are contractual issues with the relevant authorities in regards to their acceptance to provide engineering certificates. On the companies Facebook site they are considering closing down if the authority continues to stuff them about. At the moment they are taking a very long holiday but this obviously cant continue, everyone has to eat and pay bills dont they.
I thought the whole issue of vehicle mods went all quite but it does not seem to be the case now.
The vehicle Standard Bulletin 14 (VSB) is still sitting on version 2.0 from January 2011 so has something happened recently ?
I am back looking at lift kits for the L series but till I know what is going on I dont intend to spend a cent.
Have I missed something ?
I cant find a listing for approved Engineering companys in NSW but really need a listing for approved engineers in the Newcastle NSW area.
Anyone know of any ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, this is going to cause a stir and a headache in NSW

There is this 'book' Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications that a clever fella I know has a copy of to refer to in order to not be bothered by ill informed vehicle inspectors, gendarmes and just simple BSer's

He knows this book pretty well - had it for 20 years and still does not appear to be out of date. Tells me that engineering certification is not required in NSW if you simply turbo same capacity motor as what was in it - essentially.

I used to install turbo conversions on ToyDiesels and started to question if they needed an engineering certificate for each one...mate asked at his AUVIS licence course about same and reply was sort of no - more concerned that the xhaust emissions and xhaust noise level were still at correct levels.

So, sort of means I can dump the EA82T in my Brumby, or turbo an EA81 and , so long as emissions and noise levels are within ADR's etc for the age of the engine and vehicle - no need - I am hoping. The same may also possibly be read into it for disc rear that just bolts in on the Brumbys hind quarters!

isbn 0 7310 2923 2

Apparently there was or is a price of approx $200 on this 'book'

Forgotten the term for the binding, black plastic coil spring type done at officeworks type joints

Food or BS for thoughtl

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:15 pm

I think you will find that is not true. The latest rules are NCOP's (National Code Of Practice) and you most certainly do need engineering approval if you turbo charge a non-turbo motor.

See here for a list of all NCOPs : http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... _ncop.aspx and its free :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 am

mmm.. he is a bit like a lawyer on this matter, and a good one at that. Has something like a dozen or more cars on his estate, more hidden about the place and most have or need mods. has a lot at stake, loves his cars, like a boy loves his matchbox collection, loves to buy stuff, modify stuff, all within the rule book so as not to need the opinion and say so of an engineer.NCOP would cause some pain, and he would boot his soapbox a very long distance away if it happened

Two years ago? NSW said no more mods, so much backlash from enthusiasts, industry etc law or rules were rescinded and reverted back to the 1994 edition of the isbn listed above.

Someone forgot just how big an employer the auto industry combined is - sales of wheels and tyres, suspension, spare parts and the service and install of, let alone the design and manufacture of smaller custom stuff

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 03, 2014 10:27 am

got mitts on above.....

I think this ifo used to be available in nsw rta inspector manuals , not just reserved for the book listed above

chapter 3.1 - engines

3.1.2.2 Engineer certified (modified production vehicle)

The capacity limits for an "engineer certified" modified production passenger car or passenger car derivative are set out in table below :oops:

Not sure how to reproduce that info from the chart

Maximum engine capacity for turbocharged modified passenger cars and their derivatives

All vehicles originally having 4 cyl engine, or rotary engine as the largest optional engine and weighing less than 1100kg

in millilitres (cc)

NA - original weight [kg] x 3.0, Supercharged or turbocharged - original weight [kg] x 2.5
While there are no set limits for other light vehicles eg: commmercial vans, light trucks, small buses etc, the engineering signatory should at all times ensure that the replacement engine or engine modification does not overload other systems on the vehicle that are critical to its safety and handling

the weight of the vehicle referred to in the table is the original (unmodified) "tare" weightof the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the modelbut without optional accessories (air conditioning, tow bars etc). The weight of the vehicle whether it is the sedan,station wagon, utility etc should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model (not station wagon model);

forced induction methods such as turbocharging or supercharging have the capacity to substantially increase the power and performance of the vehicle.There is only one situation in which a turbocharger ( or super charger ) installation can be owner certifi to ed. That is when the installation is available as an option from the vehicle manufacturer and all other components which were packaged by the manufacturer as part of the original specification for the turbocharged engine also fitted. All other turbocharger and supercharger installations will be classified as "engineer certified".

As far as the L Series EA82 turbo engine fitted from 1985 - 1989? , the clutch was no stronger, the auto came with 23 spline output stubs for the front. no beefier tailshaft or diff.

Thicker sway bar on RX fronts ? I got 25mm - beat that !

Sway bar to the rear can be arranged if needed.

Just leaves the rear disc brakes - wonder if that gives permission to fit the factory disc rear brakes that just bolt on - without need for engineer cert ?

The Brumby has "light truck" on its compliance plate , so separates it from being a passenger car derivative !

Some wording elsewhere discusses the capacity limits if you were to increase cc -

The capacity limits apply to passenger cars and passenger car derivatives only. They do not apply to "commercial" vehicles or four wheel drive type vehicles.

is on emissions, and I plan to be using

iii) the engine is to operate solely on Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) or Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and the engine's original petrol fuel lines and pump are removed

Oh, 3.1.5.2

clearances - it is recommended that clearances of at least 10mm ..... thankfully it is a recommendation :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 03, 2014 11:05 am

looking at disc brake rear - most likely needs engineer cert to cover my arse

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 12:32 pm

That is old information - the NCOP has superseded it :

Table LA1 Recommended Maximum Engine Capacity

All vehicles originally weighing less than 800 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s for NA
Original mass (kg) x 2.5 = max. capacity in cc’s for turbo/supercharged

All vehicles originally weighing between 800 kg and 1100 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 4.0 = max. capacity in cc’s (NA)
Original mass (kg) x 2.75 = max. capacity in cc’s (Turbo)

All vehicles originally weighing more than 1100 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 5.0 = max. capacity in cc’s (NA)
Original mass (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s (Turbo)

So a Brumby is officially 970kg so can have a maximum engine of 970x4 = 3880cc
or a turbo engine 970x2.75 = 2667.5cc (which is why I have approval for a 2616cc turbo rotary). But they still need to be engineer approved.

If you don't want to need an engineer approval then the rules are :

1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION
The following are Basic Modifications that may be performed without certification
Requirements:
 Fitting a replacement new, used or reconditioned engine;

 Fitting a manufacturer’s optional engine together with any associated components as supplied by the manufacturer for that same model vehicle;

 Fitting equivalent engines with an increase of up to 20% of original power.

In all of the above cases, if the engine is modified, it must be certified under the relevant Code of Section LA.

So an EJ engine must be engineered in an MY or L series since it does not meet any of those requirements.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat May 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Glad I live in Victoria, its all in black and white, including the word "equivalent", which makes it as clear as mud, but if you are a good talker.....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ations.htm
L serious, still.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 03, 2014 6:17 pm

NSW are not using NCOP I believe, reverted back to their 1994 rule book above

The new sizing rules you quoted above Ken - is there a differentiation between passenger cars, derivatives and light trucks and commercial vans etc ?

I get the impression that in some states, some engineers may see a Brumby in a different light to an MY sedan or wagon coz Brumby compliance plate calls it a light truck. Talking to a copper a while back, his dad in far remote parts of NSW has a 2.5 l turbo donk engineered in his Brumby. make for a good tow vehicle :)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Not all states are using NCOP yet - but I believe they will eventually. Also NCOP is a guideline and each state may have their own 'version' of them.

It applies to all light vehicles - which is any vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass less than 4500kg.

But there is still so much misinformation even in the Govt Depts and by the engineers that basically it depends who get as your engineer and as the inspector as to whether it gets passed or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 9:40 pm

NSW are not following the NCOP, but will allow modifications that follow NCOP (or specifically Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 - VSB14) :

CODE OF PRACTICE FOR LIGHT VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS
Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) No.14 National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification outlines the minimum design, construction, installation and performance requirements for modifications to light vehicles, for building individually constructed vehicles (ICVs) and for the certification of certain imported vehicles. Following the guidance provided in VSB 14 will help ensure that work undertaken will meet the standards set down in NSW regulations. Most of the modifications listed in the Order have corresponding practical guidance in VSB No.14.

The above quote was taken from NSW's own Vehicle Standards Information (VSI 6) which is theitr guidelines. It can be found here : http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... i/vsi6.pdf

SA are the only other state not following the NCOP - they are an unbelievably hard place for modified vehicles from what I have read :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Thinkin' of Gannon and his hopes to rock up for a blue slip on his once 1800cc turbo RX with now 2000cc turbo EJ with EJ brakes and suspension. Depends on the interpreation of the rules by the auvis inspector, but looks like the power is up by more than 15% for owner certified, and the brakes and suspension will need an engineer to sign off on it.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat May 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Doesn't matter about % power increase - he has changed engine type (EA to EJ) so it must be engineered.

Basically if it is not a factory option engine then it must be engineered.

The % power allowance only applies if you put a bigger engine from the same family into a car that didn't have it as an option. EG: Putting EZ36 motor into a Liberty that only came with an EZ30 - as long as the EZ36 produces less than 120% of the EZ30 power then it does not have to be engineered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 04, 2014 12:03 am

Oh no! does that mean if my twin port EA81 makes more than 15% more power than a stock EA81 I need to get it engineered!? :cry:

Fat chance of that happening :rolleyes:

Oh but you said SA is the only state that doesn't follow the NCOP rules? We probably have some even more mind bending, confusing and anti-intuitive regulations with each patrol cop having his own opinion of them.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 am

tambox wrote:Glad I live in Victoria, its all in black and white, including the word "equivalent", which makes it as clear as mud, but if you are a good talker.....

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Reg ... ations.htm
According to that, in Vic you're only allowed "Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle" :( So for my Foz, I can only have a EJ20 or EJ20T, not an EJ22
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”