problems with Liberty rack in L series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
guyph_01

problems with Liberty rack in L series

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi guys,

I am getting my car ready for the pits and i would like to use a liberty steering rack in the car. Its also getting an EJ22:D

Here is my problem. I am not putting a lift kit until i pass the pits since i want to go 3". I have put the rack in but not only the angle is larger"worst" but both the L series and Liberty steering joint are short. THe joint meaning the part between the steering colum and the rack.

I know when the liftkit goes in its possible to put two joint in. but how can i do it when its stock high. Im only missing about 3-5cm with the lib joint and about 5-7cm when using the L series joint.

Any ideas on what i can do? Im not using the L series rack as its leaking bad, boots are ****ed and dont really want to fix it since i got a good liberty one.

Plz any ideas would be very much apreciated.
Thx
Guy

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat May 16, 2009 7:51 pm

You can't put it in until you get the lift kit. The angle is too much even with the correct length coupling. With the extra distance you get with a long joint the angle is lessened enough to cope with the wrong angle at the rack end....but yeh, you need the lift kit to do that.
I'd say fix the L rack as cheaply as you can to get you over the pits then put in the lift and the Lib rack asap. You could easily put the boots off the Lib rack onto it temporarily, although that won't fix the leaks.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:00 pm

yeah i figured that was what i would get as answer:(

Yeah i'll just temp put old boots on the rack. Would the libetry oil lines fit the L rack?

Also Andrew, Were you able to find the lift kit?

thx

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed May 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Yeah the lib lines will plug straight into the L rack but they will need to be tweaked slightly as they don't quite line up.

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm

did the L have a P/S rack befor you put the lib one in?

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:14 am

yeah it had power steering. Its the towing wagon. I wanted to use the lib rack as i is not leaking and has good boots. But i already changed the boots on the old L series rack, put the new tie rods ends and got it in the car. I will use it to pass over the pits, hope it doesn't leak out of the boot before i can pass.

Once i get the lift kit i'll put back the good Liberty rack.
Andrew, any news on the lift kit? and how much you want for it?

I just started a new My Car post for my project car with pics etc...

thx for the help again.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”