Jakes EJ Conversion

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 11, 2013 1:01 pm

ok I was thinking that the sleeve was loose diameter wise. you could get some billet washers machined in mild steel or brass to the size you need, so you would only have 2 per shockie.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

username

Post by username » Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 pm

TOONGA wrote:ok I was thinking that the sleeve was loose diameter wise. you could get some billet washers machined in mild steel or brass to the size you need, so you would only have 2 per shockie.

TOONGA
alright i found a bit of pipe in my backyard that's the right size so i cut some 7ish mm washers out of it,,, no movement at all now

[ATTACH]4126[/ATTACH]

pushed it out of the shed and here's how it looks now with both sides in,

[ATTACH]4127[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4128[/ATTACH]

kinda hard to tell from those pics but i was looking at it from the back and it definitely sits higher, hopefully now when i put things in it it wont scrub out. haven't taken it for a drive because it's not registered but i have to drive to vic at the end of this month so i guess i'll find out then,,,

cheers

jake
Attachments
20130511_165621.jpg
20130511_165621.jpg (101.37 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
20130511_165609.jpg
20130511_165609.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
20130511_153205.jpg
20130511_153205.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:24 pm

[quote="username"]it's been a while...

car has been sitting in the shed for like 6 months with the rear shocks out because i'm trying to so the s13 suspension thing guyph did, they're dampener adjustable shocks and for some reason i thought it'd be cool to mess around with

not sure if anyone else has done it successfully and documented it but here's my story

had to move it out the way today to get the datto out of the rain so i just wacked a shock in so i could roll it down the garage

so this is my attempt at the ghetto 'just incase' clamp

[ATTACH]4066[/ATTACH]

Hey hey, Similar shocks i got but in red! Those claps look way tougher then mines. Might have to do the same, Although i did get the car in some big holes and the car jumped fully loaded in and out of the holes and they are still holding.
I thick the springs i have on mine 'off the top of my head without reading my thread' are std L series king springs. with the the rear wheel carrier, a loaded roof and loaded back i feel they are a bit soft. Well they were used so maybe they have sagged a bit from 4wd abuse. I would get the Civic springs and try that next time and get the height adjustable ones 'screw type' shocks...

But yeah quite happy with them apart from i tack the spacers, I only did a little with and arc welder as i was scared to melt the rubber bush and they broke loose and now are clunking offroading!! lol
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Ok, so going to ask a couple of silly questions:

What model vehicle are these from exactly - front or rear?

How do you adjust their dampening ability?

Keen to know more...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

username

Post by username » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Ok, so going to ask a couple of silly questions:

What model vehicle are these from exactly - front or rear?

How do you adjust their dampening ability?

Keen to know more...

Cheers

Bennie
pretty sure any rear s13 shocks which were made from 89 to 94.

guyph has got the springs with no dial so they're fixed i guess

the ones i have have a dial which you can turn from hard to soft

then you can get full coil over sets where you can wind the bottom spring mount up and down on the shock to change the spring tension,,, im pretty sure that's how it works.
you have to use the subaru spring because the s13 one is too wide and the bottom spring mount for the s13 shock wouldn't allow the subaru spring to seat properly so i'm not sure if you could use the fancy coil over type

i hope that makes sense, i know what im thinking but it's hard to type it

cheers

jake

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”