Fitting a weber

91Brumby

Fitting a weber

Post by 91Brumby » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 am

Got a brand new weber for my Brumby which is exciting as the old carby was a complete piece of over-complicated crap.

Question about the coolant flow through the manifold - is this still needed? Can they be blocked off at the motor (left side standing front of car looking at motor which looks like intake) and the coolant pipe on the right (which looks like return)? From what I can tell, they only exist to allow coolant to flow through the carby which the weber doesn't use.

Will blocking off on the motor cause any issue with coolant flow through the motor?
Or should I run a hose from the fitting on the motor on the left to the return on the right?
Or do I need / want coolant flowing through the manifold regardless?

Thanks

TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER

Re: Fitting a weber

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:29 pm

if the coolant line is still connected leave it.

Coolant flows from either head through the manifold via a coolant channel.

I must ask did you get a Weber with the correct jets and venturis?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:58 am

Hi TOONGA,

I purchased a proper kit from <removed... for now>. They were very helpful.

I think the previous owner may have blocked the channels in the manifold where the carby sits.
I'll have a proper look before I fit the weber but won't the plate for the new carby block those channels anyway?

Thanks
Last edited by 91Brumby on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 pm

G’day 91 Brumby,

I believe those channels will be fine with the adaptor plate for the Weber. From what remember of the EA82 intake manifold, removing the carbie exposes the coolant channel. The adaptor plate should seal it again.

The P.O. probably didn’t block the channel, unless they physically removed the pipework and diverted it. Otherwise it’s probably blocked with crud.

All the best with it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Well this has been 4 weekends of unmitigated disaster.

First problem, the adaptor plate supplied didn't bolt up.

https://www.redlineauto.com.au/p-4771-r ... -2bbl.aspx
Did some research and find I had to tap out the manifold. All good, I had a dodgy manifold to practice on so I went and bought an 8mm tap.

Tapped it out. Went to fit the gasket and block - it doesn't quite cover the damn water jacket.
Now at this point I should have posted the whole frigging lot back but like a moron I decided to make my own gasket using gasket paper. Did that, but I don't know if it is going to hold forever. Again I really should have stopped but I'd spent so many weekends on this thing....

Got the carby on to the manifold and the manifold on the car.
Went to hook up the linkage kit they provided, only to find it doesn't clear the dizzy. Now at this point I REALLY should have stopped and questioned what I had been sold but no like a complete dipsh!t I make an adjustment with the grinder and bolt the damn thing on.

Next problem, the bolt that holds the throttle cable to the linkage now contacts another part of the carby mechanism. Come this far, why not make more adjustments. Took the linkage off and shortened the bolt with the grinder.

Next problem, the nut that holds the linkage on won't tighten. Looks like the thread is damaged.. At this point I am really starting to wonder if I have been supplied with a genuine carby as I didn't exactly over tighten the nut. I put a washer to space it out a little and do the nut up again with some locktite. If this car ever drives, I fully expect the linkage to fall off while I am driving.

IDK what to do. I really should have sent the whole lot back when the carby place neglected to tell me I needed to tap out the manifold. I was assured it was all a bolt on replacement with everything I needed. Is there any way to tell if the carby is genuine? I hope I haven't been sold a knock off.

Should I get a different adaptor plate? My only remaining good manifolds have the smaller stud pattern. I don't really want to take it all off again, but I sort of feel I have to. As for the thread on the shaft that holds the linkage on, I am super annoyed about that. I'm about ready to just cut my losses and set the whole thing on fire.

The thing that really gets me, aside from using different model carbys with different pollution junk and some different manifold set ups to suit, all of the Subaru EA81's are pretty much the same. This should be easy. I was told it was easy. I was told it was all a direct fit. No tapping, grinding, modifying etc was ever mentioned.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:56 pm

And down the rabbit hole you went :(

Dunno if you could contact the seller and find out about that nut/threaded shaft issue.

I believe the adaptor plate issue is a common one. I don’t know the part number but there is one out there that does the job properly - or cut one out of 12mm ally and call it a day. I certainly wouldn’t rely on unsupported/clamped paper to hold coolant pressures if that’s what you were eluding to!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:46 am

I asked the seller about the adaptor plate and he said I should just plug the hole.
Apparently all the kits require the manifolds to be tapped out.

So clearly not a direct bolt on replacement. My definition of direct fit doesn't extend to needing to tap out bolt holes.

Best bet for plugging the water hole? JB Weld?

Also, does the throttle need an external return spring? It seems to spring back really well on its own but frankly I don't even trust that this carb is genuine so want to play it safe. There is absolutely nowhere to fit the return spring provided.

Thanks