MY power steering setup

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:26 am

Hold on Giles.. wont be long now.. just a few more sleeps then the long trip home and all will be good (I hope). I'll even drive my Brumby over to Guyph's house so I can bring it back with me :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 am

Ok - just sent you a PM re this. Just let me know what you think is the best way forward, will cover you for any expenses no probs.
Many thanks!:mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 am

Replied to PM but forgot to mention my fee.. was that you that won the record jackpot in the lotto over there :p my fees are very expensive.. just ask Jules :D
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:12 am

RSR 555 wrote:Replied to PM but forgot to mention my fee.. was that you that won the record jackpot in the lotto over there :p my fees are very expensive.. just ask Jules :D
GULP !:confused:

Won a good lump about 15 years ago:) (all long gone now:() only an odd tenner now and again since:(

Yeah some lucky bugger got £120 million or so the other week = at the puny standard bank interest rate £8,000 interest per day ! Think I could scrape by on that ! :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 am

RSR 555 wrote:Replied to PM but forgot to mention my fee.. was that you that won the record jackpot in the lotto over there :p my fees are very expensive.. just ask Jules :D
yeah watch for the first born clause......... I was happy until he sent my son back... that part wasn't in the contract :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:30 am

Heya Subapeeps

I finally got a choke for the weber! yay! now any of you folks in brisbane that can install power steering for me? i don't have any parts and am strapped for cash....i am desperately saving for an east coast trip down to melb this chrissy, perhaps stopping off at a few wreckers on the way i reckon...never know what i might find :)
Anywho back to getting the beast ready for the long drive...and hopefully reliable :)

cheers

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 am

Hi Subiegirl,
if you get down Canberra way we have a wrecker who wrecks and repairs subies and has been doing so for a number of years so you never know what he may have in stock,
You are welcome to camp at my place to save a couple of sheckles on the way.
Cheers
Hylton:twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:12 pm

TOONGA wrote:yeah watch for the first born clause......... I was happy until he sent my son back... that part wasn't in the contract :)

TOONGA
Didn't think he'd be exactly like you :p
1111giles wrote:GULP !:confused:

Won a good lump about 15 years ago:) (all long gone now:() only an odd tenner now and again since:(

Yeah some lucky bugger got £120 million or so the other week = at the puny standard bank interest rate £8,000 interest per day ! Think I could scrape by on that ! :mrgreen:
Yeah.. would be hard but I'd give it a crack :mrgreen:

I have some pics for you and can get more if required.. It was a wet and wild English summer day outside today so I didn't hang around too long plus the bad lighting didn't help but see how you go.
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/W ... Steerinng/

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks for the piccy's RSR. I understand the set up alot more now.
Looking at the images, I think the crank pulley that came on the Oz Brumby cut, is infact the correct one (and its on my truck now!!) It has the 'centre' vee available for use - Ahem.... when the English weather has done one:) any chance you could take a shot or two of the crank pulley for me? Looks like your kit has my initials on it too (GAW)?? Does that mean its mine?? hehehe:mrgreen:
The Brumby cut didn't have any sign of PAS but Trevor did find out from the Brumby's owner that the engine (short motor) had in fact earlier come out of a car - so maybe the pulley was once driving PAS????

Those emissions pipes look like a plumbers nightmare don't they?:rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the shots of the actual kit for me when you see Guyph, did you get to speak with your rebuild man yet?

BTW we had a heavyish frost here this morning (Drat that means winter again) and no scraper in car or de icer (was in a hotel last pm so no tepid water either) Not a happy bunny!:(

Look forward to your further info......

Oh btw the Euro Lotto winner has now claimed the £130 million (!!!) she is a 75yo lady from Coventry - who's husband had LOST the ticket ! eek!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:20 am

read that one part vinegar three water, in a spray bottle , spray windows (presuming before the frost settles) helps keep ice at bay, maybe it acts as a deicer, hints not so specific.

The three pulley front pulley is deceptive in that does not look like three pulleys, but close inspection if the centre is V shape you are on a winner, also seen on a ute a pulley same dimension as three pulley but did not look to be a V in middle , just a spacer on a slope

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 am

Subiegirl - did you see rtcb65 declaration of 90% complete kit ? I'd say you'd get second dibs on it if guyphs stuff goes to the UK

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 pm

steptoe wrote:read that one part vinegar three water, in a spray bottle , spray windows (presuming before the frost settles) helps keep ice at bay, maybe it acts as a deicer, hints not so specific.

The three pulley front pulley is deceptive in that does not look like three pulleys, but close inspection if the centre is V shape you are on a winner, also seen on a ute a pulley same dimension as three pulley but did not look to be a V in middle , just a spacer on a slope
OK - I'll check that out ..... will post a piccy up too so that you guy's with the knowledge can check it out for me.(please!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 am

1111giles wrote:Thanks for the piccy's RSR. I understand the set up alot more now.
Looking at the images, I think the crank pulley that came on the Oz Brumby cut, is infact the correct one (and its on my truck now!!) It has the 'centre' vee available for use - Ahem.... when the English weather has done one:) any chance you could take a shot or two of the crank pulley for me? Looks like your kit has my initials on it too (GAW)?? Does that mean its mine?? hehehe:mrgreen:
The Brumby cut didn't have any sign of PAS but Trevor did find out from the Brumby's owner that the engine (short motor) had in fact earlier come out of a car - so maybe the pulley was once driving PAS????

Those emissions pipes look like a plumbers nightmare don't they?:rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the shots of the actual kit for me when you see Guyph, did you get to speak with your rebuild man yet?

BTW we had a heavyish frost here this morning (Drat that means winter again) and no scraper in car or de icer (was in a hotel last pm so no tepid water either) Not a happy bunny!:(

Look forward to your further info......

Oh btw the Euro Lotto winner has now claimed the £130 million (!!!) she is a 75yo lady from Coventry - who's husband had LOST the ticket ! eek!
No probs Giles I shall take some more pics of my crank pulley but remember, my Brumby has what appears to be an aftermarket a/c kit as the belt for the a/c is a multi-v not the usual single-v type that I've seen on every other M.Y. series cars. Jules did bring the 3 'V' pulley with him in the kit but for some unknown reason the key in the crank was 1mm taller than the keyway in the pulley ( I tried and measured 2 'V' type pulleys and got the same result) I then got my machinist friend the cut the centre groove in my pulley for me.

Also I forgot to mention that the steering knuckle I used is off a Impreza as I didn't get the one in the kit until later and because the Impreza works fine I just left it in there. I also haven't bolted the engine crossmember plate back on.. I used a cold chisel to break the spot welds. I think it's definately better to remove this and fit back after, as this will help if you if you ever have to remove the rack again.

As for the markings on the pump.. I'm sorry to disapoint you but it's marked "BAW" for Bunbury Auto Wreckers.. which is where I believe Jules spends most of his days.

I haven't called my friend yet but will try and do first thing tomorrow morning.. will post details later.
1111giles wrote:OK - I'll check that out ..... will post a piccy up too so that you guy's with the knowledge can check it out for me.(please!)
No probs.. lets see it :) The 3 'V' pulley is the standard for the M.Y. with A/C but I have seen 3 other types now in my time with Subaru. I'm sure the kit from Guyph (and with some help from others) we should be able to get the complete kit organized for you ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 am

Hi Giles,
a couple of pics; one of the standard pully with A/C but no P/S
and the other of the longer neck thermostat housing in situ

Attachments
Longer thermostate housing in situ.jpg
Longer thermostate housing in situ.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Standard crankshaft pulley with AC but no PS.jpg
Standard crankshaft pulley with AC but no PS.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 2106 times

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 am

Giles I have a genuine brumby power steering and aircon pulley I will give the pulley to Paul (belt in the head with it) when Im up on the weekend as it was a part of his kit

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

olddog642 wrote:Hi Giles,
a couple of pics; one of the standard pully with A/C but no P/S
and the other of the longer neck thermostat housing in situ

Sorry Hylton but that pic of the thermostat housing is the standard non power steering (short necked) housing.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm

TOONGA wrote:Giles I have a genuine brumby power steering and aircon pulley I will give the pulley to Paul (belt in the head with it) when Im up on the weekend as it was a part of his kit

TOONGA
haha.. that won't help get the EJ22 in this weekend will it??

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:52 pm

phantomD wrote:Yes please!
Ok phantomD.. I have added some extra pics for you showing the mod to the vacuum line on the manifold :)
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/W ... Steerinng/

Giles.. I have also taking some extra pics of my pulley and a/c compressor. I can take a pic of the one Jules wants to throw at me this weekend :twisted:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm

1111giles wrote:OK - I'll check that out ..... will post a piccy up too so that you guy's with the knowledge can check it out for me.(please!)
Yawn.. wake up Giles.. hehe

Now I just got a quote from my guy.. Rack rebuilt is aprox ~ $350 (subject to shaft condition) and Pump is $150

Prices are in AU$

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Oh.. and forgot to mention that I've got my parts guy pricing up the genuine rebuild parts if you like.. he'll be emailing soon :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”