Lift kit, suspension & snorkel for Forester MY10?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
geburolo

Lift kit, suspension & snorkel for Forester MY10?

Post by geburolo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi,

First, my two disclaimers: 1. I am new to the forum, and 2. I am a girl.

Right, now to the potentially stupid questions:

I currently have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler which has had quite a few mods... with plans to add a baby to the household, I have had to look elsewhere for a new toy and after much research and test driving, I have come to the Forester as my next drug of choice. But before I lay down the moolah I want to know whether I can get the current model lifted 50mm, improve the suspension (or if that's even needed), and get a snorkel fitted?

Living in Cairns means that I like to go bush - up the Creb track, off to Weipa for the weekend (800kms of corrugation), and duck over to Darwin to visit my friends every now and then. So my next car needs to be (yawn) practical enough for pram, car seats and kiddies but also a fun boy's toy that I can get dirty and (when necessary) wet.

I have also read differing opinions here about auto vs manual for use off-road... I always thought that to get the full use of low range you had to have a manual... (refer to the disclaimers at the start of this post before you lynch me).

Looking forward to your advice :)

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 am

Hi geburolo, I'll try not to get lynched here myself. :)

Living in Cairns and used to playing offroad in a Wrangler I can't help but think you might be a bit disappointed in the offroad ability of a Forester? However, for excursions across to Darwin and even up to Weipa you will appreciate the economy and comfort of the Subie that's for sure. They're not the best to tackle deep water crossings, I've seen a few die from wet computers but they're certainly no worse than other petrol vehicles in their category.
Someone else might be able to help with info on lift kits for the new models but a snorkel will be a custom job, either fitting a plastic one from something else or a fabricated job.
Other mods you might want to include are front and rear bars, sumpguard and decent offroad tyres.

Edit: just read your other post on the gulf road thread and it sounds like you've done enough touring in Subarus to not need advice from me but
I'd go for a turbo/auto model.
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 pm

geburolo wrote:Hi,

First, my two disclaimers: 1. I am new to the forum, and 2. I am a girl.
1. You have to start somewhere.

2. That doesn't matter, there should be more amoung us on the forum... but they're usually the one's supporting/beating us about our subarus and the forums :twisted:

Welcome to Ausubaru ;)

I've got no info about the new model foz. I know the Outback is very comfortable, different to "pilot" with all the buttons and switches that do things for you. Personally I find the new subaru range too BIG! Give me the small to medium sized subi anyday. Not what you'd be after but that's my opinion.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

geburolo

Post by geburolo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks for the replies... all food for thought! El Freddo's L Series looks remarkably like the one parked in my yard (the Jeep gets the garage lol). The Suby dealer told me that the diesel will be available by mid-June so I think I will hold off until then. Diesel engine + water = not too unhappy a Foz, hopefully. Then Gibb River Road here we come (typical, buy a new car then ruin it on a roadtrip.. but why else buy one of these things?)

clarkey

Post by clarkey » Fri May 14, 2010 6:29 pm

there is nothing wrong with the foz off road, i have pulled out heaps or wranglers and even a F truck, with alot of dificalty, and burning out the clutch. and also abit of help from a landy. but still, i have got a my05 and that thing goes every where, even better now that i have the lift and the bigger tyres on her. and as for the hi-lo range thing, in the foz, the hi-lo range only comes in the manual. i have the manual. the foz is a remarkable car offroad and on.

P.S sorry for the late reply! haha

Cheers Mike.
nuthin beats a subbi

Previous rides: 1998 rx liberty sedan, 2007 mitsu 380 and now a 2005 foz, lifted with bigger and black wheels ( Got rolled :( ) and now a 100 series land cruiser.

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 pm

have a manual turbo :)
the power has come in handy, have only been a few times where an auto would have been handy, but thats where better tyre pressure and skills learnt make up for it,
havent really needed low range, but there probly have been one or two times i would have used it,
im gonna make my own snorkel at my exhuast shop, 2.5" s/s steel,
i dont know about a lift kit, but can easily find out as im in the 'subaru 4wd club of wa'
Good luck, :)
if you go with the diesel, maybe give it more time before you buy one, second generation maybe? just to wait and see how the first series go?

frogstar7055

Post by frogstar7055 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:50 am

1" lift is all I've seen so far.
http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product ... cts_id=106

That with good AT tires will take you WAY farther then you'd think in a Forester.

Welcome aboard.:)
Frogstar7055
AWD...and not afraid to use it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”