trans for EJ20G conversion

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
T'subaru

T'sunami Wagon

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Guys,
Soon to start installing my ej20g in my 90 l wagon. Will a non turbo 90 Leg 5 spd trans ( awd ) live behind this engine? Its gonna get its fair share of getting romped on ( not thrashed as its gonna be my daily ) and I prefer to drive more than wrench.
Thanks, M
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 am

who made the lift kit damn fine piece of work and love the pug rims

as for the transmission what ratio is the box 3.7/ 3.9 ?

as long as you don't do 4000 rpm launches every day it will last

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am

TOONGA wrote:who made the lift kit damn fine piece of work and love the pug rims

as for the transmission what ratio is the box 3.7/ 3.9 ?

as long as you don't do 4000 rpm launches every day it will last

TOONGA
Hi Toonga,
a fella from usmb makes the kits, this is a 4/6 kit. he does excellent work on his kits, bumpers etc..very talented for his age twenty something, Boss kits.
The diff I pulled along with the awd 5 spd is 4.11. sounds like good news on the trans, I like standing on it after acheiving speed more so than trying to do awd burn outs :) Picked up the pugs almost a year ago, wagons 4 wheel disc so I figure ill pug it for now.
Cheers and thanks M

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

just dont shock load it and it should last a while, not forever tho.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am

Keffa wrote:just dont shock load it and it should last a while, not forever tho.

alex
hum..were the turbo libs/legs equipped with stronger trans ?
btw, i voted brumby:) but looking forward to your upcoming build:cool:

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 am

T'subaru wrote:hum..were the turbo libs/legs equipped with stronger trans ?
btw, i voted brumby:) but looking forward to your upcoming build:cool:
yes i believe they were marginally stronger. One of subarus major downfalls in the early years are their gearboxes.

But if you give it a bit of respect theres no reason it shouldnt last a while(depending on prior condition obviously) also are you planning on running more power than the stock output?

running a really good shockproof oil makes wonders of difference also.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Keffa wrote:yes i believe they were marginally stronger. One of subarus major downfalls in the early years are their gearboxes.

But if you give it a bit of respect theres no reason it shouldnt last a while(depending on prior condition obviously) also are you planning on running more power than the stock output?

running a really good shockproof oil makes wonders of difference also.

alex
Well, Im not sure how it was treated prior to me, and I did pull it out of a 5/89 legacy. Ive heard that '05 and up the trans have stronger gears. I will keep the ej at stock hp, should be enough for the wagon. Ive never heard of shockproof oil. May check out jdm trans at the importer I deal with, Leg I parted had about 260K miles.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Love the lift kits but would prefer to see them with some sort of support inside the hollow sections :)

As for the gearbox.. like Alex and Julian have mentioned.. just a little respect and you will be fine.. as you will be running it in a lighter car and more likely to brake traction that gears :)

btw.. nice collection of Subies in the yard :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:22 pm

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Love the lift kits but would prefer to see them with some sort of support inside the hollow sections :)

As for the gearbox.. like Alex and Julian have mentioned.. just a little respect and you will be fine.. as you will be running it in a lighter car and more likely to brake traction that gears :)

btw.. nice collection of Subies in the yard :mrgreen:
hehe..thanks. makes mowing the back yard a bit tricky though:) Im actually pretty easy on my cars;) Id hate to break the trans if I got on it. I think a jdm low k would be good insurance, I was planning on checking into a 4.11 lsd anyway.
Thanks, Mark

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 pm

T'subaru wrote:hehe..thanks. makes mowing the back yard a bit tricky though:) Im actually pretty easy on my cars;) just every now and then I like standing on the go fast pedal. I think a jdm low k would be good insurance, I was planning on checking into a 4.11 lsd anyway.
Thanks, Mark
Yes I know how you feel with moving cars around :)

Do you have the numbers off the gearbox? they should start with TY75... from this we can tell the final drive ratio and what gearset it has also :)
T'subaru wrote:Thanks Dude!
No probs big fella ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Yes I know how you feel with moving cars around :)

Do you have the numbers off the gearbox? they should start with TY75... from this we can tell the final drive ratio and what gearset it has also :)

No probs big fella ;)
ah....I dont have the trans numbers with me ( working out of town ) but I definately can follow up this weekend for sure. haha, my rx is the local tow rig at my house:) turns out there is a redline oil distributor just a few miles from my place too
Mark

seagull

Post by seagull » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 am

Dont use redline oil or smuf blood any thing along the line of this product.

The oil maskes the problem untill ( BANG ), I have pulled down ( many ) 5 speed boxes over the years & seen the failures of this product.

The oil brakes down & goes hard as the 5 speed is splash fed the oil feed system is blocked causing failure through lack of oil to bearings & bushes.

Dane

Post by Dane » Thu May 06, 2010 5:39 am

T'subaru wrote:Hi Toonga,
a fella from usmb makes the kits, this is a 4/6 kit. he does excellent work on his kits, bumpers etc..
I've seen this term but haven't been able to understand it (4/6 and so on). Is it a 4" kit?

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. Looks like a great collection to combine.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu May 06, 2010 9:35 am

seagull wrote:Dont use redline oil or smuf blood any thing along the line of this product.

The oil maskes the problem untill ( BANG ), I have pulled down ( many ) 5 speed boxes over the years & seen the failures of this product.

The oil brakes down & goes hard as the 5 speed is splash fed the oil feed system is blocked causing failure through lack of oil to bearings & bushes.

haha, smurf blood.....i like that:) Just got off the phone with the importer, they only get 5 spd dual ranges out of japan, and not very many, mostly auto's. They sell for 845.00..dont think that will fly with the boss:(, and as far as diffs no lsds.
Thanks for the heads up seagull, Mark

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu May 06, 2010 9:40 am

Dane wrote:I've seen this term but haven't been able to understand it (4/6 and so on). Is it a 4" kit?

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. Looks like a great collection to combine.
Thanks Dane,
The 4/6 etc references the amount of lift at the front vs the rear, 4" front and 6" rear. I hope it will come together nicely.
cheers,Mark

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 am

seagull wrote:Dont use redline oil or smuf blood any thing along the line of this product.

I think you'll find Neil, that most of the numptys that drove those gearboxes would have broken them with or without the Redline oil.. Most of them think that if they put Redline in their gearboxes, it makes their gearboxes tougher/bulletproof.. but as you and I both know, no oil will do this.. also it goes old like any gear oils so just because you spend $100 on oil doesn't mean you never have to change it again.. ALL of our rally cars use this gear oil and NEVER have I seen the oil go "HARD" :confused:

The gearboxes go bang because most of them put oversize wheels on them and also try and do 4000rpm launches all day.

I'm not saying it is the best.. for the high end stuff I'd recommend Royal Purple but I use and sell Motul :) It's all personal choice but regular changes are vital :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

T'sunami Wagon

Post by T'subaru » Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 am

Started my lift kit install this weekend, finished up the rear less a couple brake line and fuel line supports.
currently ive installed the 4:11 rear diff to go with the ej 5 speed. It will be replaced with a lsd when I can locate one. Also installed reman axles to go with the new bearings,seals,discs and pads installed about a year ago ( its been parked for the last year)
Ill start the front lift next weekend after picking up new axles.
Cheers, Mark

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”