My experience with ethanol fuel.

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
subanator

Post by subanator » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:03 am

Just deviating a little on this topic......this stuff is magic

http://www.liquideng.com.au/fuelset.html

I know it will drop water out of diesel, in boat fuel including premix, and cleans injectors, and carbon off the exhast valves. (Read site)

I have used this for around 8 years or so on various cars and know others who swear by it. One of the head engineers went his own way and also markets a similar product under a different brand name, also in Perth.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:39 am

Sounds like every one has had good experiences with it except for me. After my first experience with 98 with 10% ethanol I won't be using it again. I was towing a car back from Maryborough on the weekend in my Liberty (2.5 turbo - microtech ecu) when I stopped and put $25 of it in my car. Within 10k's the car was rattling under load (pinging) and driving us crazy. I could not put my foot down at all with out the engine whinging.

Dave was with me and we thought it had to be the fuel, but didn't think that a 98 RON fuel could be that bad.

We just happened to be at Maryborough again on Sunday picking up the other car (both of them were Liberty wagons) with the same car towing the same trailer. This time we made sure we had BP 98 in the car and also carried 40 litres of it with us. Guess what, not an ounce of pinging on the way home. I was always atleast one gear higher when we were travelling. The car had more torque and used about the same amount of fuel.

Boost 98 was the fuel we put in. We did think it ironic that the ethanol fuels are being promoted as this "u-beaut" new green fuel yet the warning label on the pump said in large letters DO NOT use in aircraft.

If it is so good, then why?

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:17 am

Hmmm, that is an interesting story. Could have been a bad batch maybe? Or just the tune of the engine? Who knows.

I think the reason they say "not for use in aircraft" is due to the lack of any long-term data about the effects of the use of Ethanol fuels in aviation.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Malc

Post by Malc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:35 pm

That says which Subarus can use ethanol and what negative effects ethanol can have on certain models of car.
http://www.autoindustries.com.au/ethano ... 00005.html

gemery10

Post by gemery10 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:23 pm

I got a tank of the 98 stuff in bundaberg. After I put it in I read their book and it said post 86 (mine is 86) Ran like a dog and pinged under any load even with timing about 6-7. To be fair it was pinging a bit before hand (40 deg day with a/c on) but was really bad on that stuff and my mileage was terrible. Maybe will try again with seemingly un pingable weber. (love that carb)

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm

The type I'm using is ell chepo no-name 94RON stuff.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”