FWD Rear Disc Brakes to fit MY/L...?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Matatak

Post by Matatak » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 am

lol yer i sleep well as u can tell

neway yer may be hard and to expensive to get custom ones made

but it was a thought
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:41 pm

And after getting custom rear hubs made it would probabily be cheaper to get Bratgebah's brake kit... there would be added benefits of this too...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:07 pm

No not possible if you have 4WD because its different setup.
Have you considered about getting 5 hub conversion and use the hubs from Liberty?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Mat, you need to take a closer look at the discs, you'll notice there is four bolts in the front, that is how the discs mount to the hub. The hub is $375 from Subaru.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:37 pm

i did check em out before just never noticed that all the splines are in the hub until now
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 pm

Ben wrote:Mat, you need to take a closer look at the discs, you'll notice there is four bolts in the front, that is how the discs mount to the hub. The hub is $375 from Subaru.

i was let to belive u couldnt buy the hub new ny more
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 pm

Yeah I looked into it a long time ago and they rekoned only available from Japan and it was $1000+ just for the hub. Maybe different somehow now!?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 pm

just bumping for sooner future ref

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Nope, they wont fit. In fact, I encountered this exact same issue when i tried to buy these exact same hubs from L-Raiser years ago!!! Thats why I didnt go through with the sale.

They will fit a Front wheel drive (2WD) no problem. However, for a 4WD L or Brumby, you will need a new hub.

I went to Makin And Luby here in Preston, Subaru parts dealer, and they can get them in from Japan, ex stock, for $1750 EACH!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, the hubs are worth more than the car.

So what I did, is jumped on USMB site in America, asked one of the guys to rip a set off a car at a Pick and Pay wreckers, and send the lot to me over here.

That cost me $250.00, including freight, at a time when the exchange rates were not as great as they are right this moment.

My 2 cents.
Destroy waves, NOT beaches.

1990 L Sportswagon (Mine)
1988 L Touringwagon (Hers)
1998 Liberty GX Wagon (Ours)
1987 L Touringwagon (SOLD!!)
1986 L Jap Import Turbo wagon (SOLD TO TIMMO!!)
1986 L RX Turbo wreck (SOLD TO TIMMO!!!)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 am

I need to search through the archives because in recent months I swear someone had worked out how to do. I am yet to study the bits hard but recall Brumby rear drums have the drive splines and L rear 4WD discs do not but sit on a splined hub. Nah, I am wrong no splines on the brake drum is there?? Just know of a Vortex that is 2WD and if I could easy fit rear disc to a Brumby it may be worth buying also for its efi heads. Last time i saw it -full of rat poo and leaves

coxy

Post by coxy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Would'nt be too hard to get around,Simply a matter of turning the drum off a bruby or MY wagon rear hub to create a simple subaru splined hub.Then going through the DBA or RDA catalog which you can download to find a tophat style disk that will be big enough ID to slip over the modified hub,this can be ordered from DBA for instance undrilled or maybe custom drilled to the 4 by 140 stud pcd and then all you need is to arrange a rear caliper and mounting bracket setup.
I would go for a later backing plate and caliper handbrake setup from a mixture of Nissan skyline cable operated caliper and a Liberty backing plate.Nissan 200SX calipers amongst others will fit liberty backing plates.Liberty backing plates with some mods will fit to either Lseries or MY rear arms.
When using a tophat style disk you may need longer wheel studs and Nissan may well help in this area as well all depends on the thickness of the disk tophat section.
Have done many conversions oner the years like this for competition vehicles but it will have to be engineered for a road vehicle as was done by Geoff for his 5 stud setup.Obviously cheaper to find an RX or 4WD Vortex setup if possible but for those with some nous a way around the problem,but it must be Engineered and safe or it is a waste of time and money.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:50 am

Had a closer look at the Vortex. It ain't moved in nine years, the rear discs rusty as, spark plugs still out exposing cylinders to the atmosphere and crud. The wrecker has been known to claim an engine is good - until you buy it, fit it and find out it was a smokey roo ted engine. It is only FWD. Memory tells me drum IS splined and did think of same thing machining drum to a simple hub. Your engineering stand is a good principle

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:37 pm

steptoe wrote:I need to search through the archives because in recent months I swear someone had worked out how to do.
You're probabily recalling the 2wd backing plates that I used on my rear disc setup. I had to mod the hole that the 4wd bearing housing passes through, on the 2wd this hole sat on the axle stub using a little bracket...

I don't think you could find a set of discs to create a setup like the liberty uses... Good luck with it though, I'd say that at the end of the day you'd be best to go for the ready to use Crossbred kit - nothing to work out there!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Yeah, Bennie it was FWD rear backing plates modded to fit. You are correct. It would be an interesting exercise to machine an MY/MV drum (if it is what is splined, still to look...) into a hub and see if FWD Vortex rear disc set up fits and works.

GOD

Post by GOD » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:10 am

I would have thought the hard part was getting calipers and brackets to fit. Making/modifying hubs and rotors should be straightforward (if you know someone who can do it).

Anyhow, just came across this: http://perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php? ... post395751. A bloke claims to have Laser TX3 discs on the back of a Brumby, still with 4x140 hubs. There's no details there, but might be worth looking into.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 am

Those rear brake drums are splined , if you think about it the wheel studs are pressed through them so they have to have a positive means of driving the "hub" which in this case has the drum on it as well .

You are not going to get a rear "hub" any cheaper than a rear drum and machining the drum section off the outside of it isn't going to weaken it appreciably . Now I seem to remember seeing a cross sectional diagram of the rear disc/drum in place and the sectional thickness through the hub section increases the closer you get to its center , hint - you could spot face the inner side and drill five holes through here I suppose ...

I think what Coxy was saying is that if you can find a top hat disc with enough offset you could slide it over your wheel studs from the outside like Lib and later cars do . It would need longer wheel studs because the thickness of the discs "hat" section takes up some of the studs length so they would need to be longer to correct this .

It would also pay to check if the MY drums are offset any further inwards than L ones because you may be able to get closer to std L track width if MY drums are - and fitted to a L of course .

If all else fails you can have hubs made but its not dirt cheap , if I was doing that I'd be looking at more modern discs and calipers than L's have std .

A .

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:19 pm

ok to answer the big orignal question. YES it is possible but takes a hell of a lot of engineering to do.
dad did it on mums l which is in the paddock atm. no the set is not for sale
yes it is bloody awsome for rallying in. rear hydrolick handbrake awesome

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”