EA81 Into L Series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Psymon

EA81 Into L Series

Post by Psymon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi all

The old ea82 in my L series has given up again. I have a reco'd ea81 lying around that i'd like to put to use. Yes i'm aware it's a step backwards and an EJ would be a better option, but all this car has to do these days is drive me to and from work so this is the route i'm going to take.

What i need to know is if my EA82 flywheel and clutch will work with the EA81 engine and L series gearbox combo.

Also is there anything else i should know? I've read somewhere that the radiator hoses wont line up, but this isn't too much of a big deal. Anything else that won't fit or i'll have to modify or swap from one engine to the other?

Thanks, Simon.

brenton

Post by brenton » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 pm

im just about to do the same thing with my L i think you can use the either clutch and flywheel and the motor should bolt straight up to the gearbox. i think you'll have to do some things with some of the wiring. someone must know about this and im sure they will post up some info.
cheers brenton

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 pm

G'day fellas.

I don't think this is a backward step - I think you'll find that the EA81 will perform just as well as the EA82 behind the 5 speed gearbox. In terms of wiring, it shouldn't be much different to the EA82 - especially if you bolt the EA82's carb onto the EA81, this will match the vehicle's wiring to the carbie as it is what came from. So its pretty much a straight swap.

The alternator wiring will be the same - my L is currently running an MY alternator with no mods to the original wiring.

The best thing about bolting an EA81 into your L is that there are no cam belts to replace or worry about, you'll have more room around the engine. The only thing is if you want to run AC - I don't know if this will fit in with the battery mounted where it is in the L...

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”