EJ25 as replacement for an EJ22?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
ScubyRoo

EJ25 as replacement for an EJ22?

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 am

Hi everybody,

You might have read in my other thread that my ej22 is kaput. I'm considering a few options, one of which is putting an ej25 in as a replacment to the ej22.

My main consideration is obviously that of compatability - will the ej22s accessories fit onto the 25, i.e. p/s pump, alternator, a/c compressor? How about engine mounts and interface with the transaxle? What other considerations?

Like all things subi, it started as a thought and now it's stuck!

Cheers for your thoughts,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Accessories might fit, but sometimes there are bracketing differences between year/models so might not.
It should be fine to go straight onto your gearbox, some models have 8 bolts, some have 4 but this doesn't matter. If you get a motor or gearbox with 8bolts to go onto a 4bolt one just leave the other four off. (these are the bolts connecting motor to gearbox).
Engine mounts will also be fine.

I think your main problem will be ECU and wiring-loom related. The EJ25 will likely have different engine loom plugs, differences with engine sensors and obviously a different ECU.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Hey Owen, very sorry to hear about your mishaps... At least the rafting trip was worth it by the looks of things...

I have next to zero experience in replacing engines so I'm not gonna be much help telling you if you can do what you are planning, but I really hope you find a way to make it happen!

Hang in there, mate!
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”