tie rod taper size of MY and L Series Q?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
OKsubaru

tie rod taper size of MY and L Series Q?

Post by OKsubaru » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Hope this is the best category to ask in.

Has anyone the experience of interchanging MY and L Series tie rod ends?

Is the taper the same?

Considering swapping the bigger pad callipers and their hub and stub CV shaft end from an L Series into an MY 4WD with manual steering rack, retaining MY CV shaft shaft and universal fitting DOJ fitting up the L series CV joint to keep same track - not do the whole wider track and mod the castor bar.

ta
:)

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 pm

The L series hubs have a different pivot radius then the MY's and give you major positive camber issue. The L sereis hubs also have a larger inner seal on the bearings. So MY CV in L hub won't seal. The L series tierod ends are also longer then MY ones.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

OKsubaru

Post by OKsubaru » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:02 pm

I have looked at the two hubs just visually not measuring yet. The appear very similar. The different pivotal radius for the L , does that not come from the 45mm extra length of the CV shaft proper rather than any angles of the hub itself? You'd get this if you used L series shaft in total length in combination with the L series lower control arm. I plan on retaining the MY lower control arm .I recall seeing the distance between inner and outer hub bearing seats on the stub appeared to be further apart than on MY. THe hub outer dimensions appear the same.

My thoughts were to use the L CV joint and outer stub/hub axle on MY length shaft and the inner DOJ which fits both MY and L
:)

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”