Slow power windows

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
julian

Slow power windows

Post by julian » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:59 pm

A couple of the windows in my L series are really slow. What can be done to rectify this? New motors or an overhaul...?
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 pm

could be your motors going or your regulators getting stiff.
you could pull out the regulators and clean and grease them and make sure they work smoothly. if that dosn't fix it it will most probably be your motors going...
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:14 pm

normally its the controllers get crap on them.Pull them out and clean with metho and a fine emery cloth,once you pull them apart you see the crap.I've done this a couple of times and it works a treat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 pm

Second that the switchs they can easily bloked with crap. I would pull them out and clean them. The motors are pretty tough....
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

stephendean

Post by stephendean » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:26 pm

I agree with Matt, cleaning the switches. If that don't solve the problem move on to the rest of the system. Just be careful when you take the switches apart there are some small pieces you do not want to loose.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 am

I agree with cleaning your switches however do not think that this is your problem – if it was the switches they tend to not work at all or when you jiggle the switch a bit. My sense is there is something else (motor) that needs some lube. My front passenger window has been half as slow as all the other windows for years and then get real slow once you get near the top. I have cleaned the switch in the door and the master more then once and this has not changed a thing – at this stage my theory is a lazy 1 which is still working so tis all good.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:10 am

Ah Jaffa mine suffers from the same problem. I havn't done stuff all about it either. My technique is to do the window up with the car engine running (maximum current for accessories cause of alternator charging). Also it works better when the door is open so it doesn't have to rub up against the rubber seal as it goes up.
I can understand dirty switches causing a problem (more resistance so less current flow) but in my case it seems unlikely as the speed of the window is identical using either the master switch or the one on the passenger door.
Probably the motor or the actual window mechanism just needs lubrication.

waggaclint

Post by waggaclint » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 pm

put wind up windows in it and just wind em really fast.....
2011 Forester X

tassyraider

Post by tassyraider » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 am

mabee its the rubber/felt track rubbers as all the up/down the felt wears off then drags on the rubber backin, if you wet the rubbers as a test then activate them they will go fast,as water will act as lubricant slides easyer mabee you have to replace them how old is the vehical cheerz
current ej18 awd targa brumby
95 impreza awd sportz wagon

julian

Post by julian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:56 am

1985 L touring wagon.
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:19 am

Looking to address slow electric drivers window on the MY.
Happy to pull the door trim off and clean but for lubrication on window runners/mechanisms on electric or wind up windows what sort of lube to use.
I was intending to use white lithium spray grease but some people on the web seem to prefer spray on silicon lube.
Any pros and cons for either ?

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”