No spark when warm problem

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
JP147

No spark when warm problem

Post by JP147 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15 pm

1984 MY wagon with EA81 and electronic ignition.

Just started happening today on my way home from the shops.
The engine just shut off with no warning, I checked everything and nothing seemed wrong, and after waiting a while it started and ran fine.

It stopped again in front of a parts shop, I got a new coil and put it in but it didn't make a difference and it shut off again when I got home.

I tested the lead coming off the coil, it had 40k ohms resistance so I took the one from my Datsun which had only 6k. Still the same thing, runs perfect under all driving conditions until it gets to operating temp, then immediately shuts off without even a misfire and won't start again until it is left a few minutes to cool.

Will I need a new distributor? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Try swapping the electronic ignition doo dad that lives inside the dizzy. If that plays up, the engine dies. When mine went though it wouldn't start again, but I didn't really try again after it had cooled down just swapped it straight away. They are available on ebay, but it was a cheap mexican unit that let me down in the first place. Or nab one from another dizzy or scrap yard. I keep one in the toolbox behind my seat at all times now :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Dead electronic ignition module in the dizzy as Silverbullet has already mentioned.

Get a new one, until then you'll be chasing a ghost.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JP147

Post by JP147 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I will replace it and see how that goes, I doubt it could be anything else.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:12 pm

exackery how mine have died in the past ! ~ $100 for a new one or half that on US ebay.

Actually, I was running one from an early EA82 FWD carby sedan dizzy. That involved a never to start again module, involved a bike ride to fetch and replace :)

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”